Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Vs Austria - K/O 7:45PM - Sky Sports 2 & RTÉ 2

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Trap out, Gary Neville in

Or Neville Neville,he'll defintely play (with) young lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Nearly everyone just turns on Ireland because of a great goal in the last minute. If we held on for another minute it would all be fine and dandy but now its the blame game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

That fcuking black lad is destroying us now.

The ref?

==

First half = was like watching a typical old school Ireland match

Second half = like watching a Trapattoni Ireland match again.

Could have handled a draw or a loss if we'd just had the courage of our convictions to stick to what we'd been doing. However in that second half we were the cause of our own demise. No complaints at the result really I'm afraid.

==

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭Hitchens

.......and his da :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Even on points with second = no chance of qualification and sack the manager :confused::confused::confused:

Come on this is Ireland. We won't get anything from the Germans, the swedes probably will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

SantryRed wrote: »

What? There is nothing wrong with doing that. BUT, Green off and Walters up top is baffling. It literally gives us nothing more.

We should have tried to go anf win the game is my point. Instead we brought on defenders to sit back and hope we keep them out.

Sure ya dont win friends with salad

fullstop wrote: »
    Got a problem? If you can't see that was an idiotic sub you haven't a clue quite frankly. We got away with the tactic of inviting the opposition onto us time and again in the last campaign, lady luck is catching up with us now. Even Brady is saying it should have been Holohan for Sammon 'ffs'.

Just think it's a cheap childish shot calling the guy senile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Fair play Ireland overall a solid performance but unfortunately our prehistoric tactical manager comes to the fore again for not changing it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

FutureGuy wrote:
    Have to lol at everyone blaming trap. Major lol.

15 seconds from a deserves win.

Cop on lads FFS.

Yeah, best fans in the world apparently.

Dunphy and others wanting Hoolahan on - it would have been a disastrous move. The Austrians were always going to pile on the pressure in the end. We needed to stick a defensive-minded player on. Hoolahan would have been doing more defending than attacking if he'd come on. Yeah he could have sent a few balls for Long to chase - if Long had been left on - but the ball would have come right back.

We needed to defend and we just didn't defend well enough, contrary to Dunphy's waffle. Clark made the crucial mistake in the first half, and him going off injured presented more problems. Wilson had a very poor game overall.

It's the way it goes. We were the better team in the first half; they were the better team in the second half.

Dunno why people are writing the epitaph for the campaign either. Still ain't over imo. We're Ireland; we do things the hard way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Even on points with second = no chance of qualification and sack the manager :confused::confused::confused:

You're missing the point - it's the manager's attitude to the team/game that is the biggest problem and has proven time and again to be our downfall.

He needs to go.. tonight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

We need to get lucky again and have teams beat/draw around us. I think we've left us too much to do. Nothing about how we played today makes me think we can get 6 points out of Sweden and Austria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

There was some some good defending from Ireland and Long should have stayed on but tiredness had crept in and with Irish teams record for holding out for a win ,you always felt the Austrians might get the goal at the end .:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭baldbear

Sack Trapp? The fai can't affort to pay him off with the 300k + Delaneys on or maybe Denis OBrien will stump up the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Bit of cop on needed here. We're in a mini group with Sweden/Austria and haven't lost to either. We've also an advantage over Austria who drew to the Kazakhs and a disadvantage to Sweden who drew to Germany.

Right now its

Sweden +1
    Ireland 0
    Austria -1

We were always going to need to win 1 of the head to heads or draw them all and hope for slip ups from both (one of them has already happened).
    We still have 2 games against these guys, one of them at home. One win and we're in the driving seat, even without a win we've still a chance if Sweden choke somewhere which is always possible.

Not a bad position to be in for our weakest squad since the 80's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I wouldn't be part of the lynch mob looking for Trap to be sacked. For some people here to claim that he's not at fault for a really poor second half performance though is crazy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

50% to you sir.

For getting the first half of that sentence right.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Dunphy and others wanting Hoolahan on - it would have been a disastrous move. The Austrians were always going to pile on the pressure in the end. We needed to stick a defensive-minded player on. Hoolahan would have been doing more defending than attacking if he'd come on. Yeah he could have sent a few balls for Long to chase - if Long had been left on - but the ball would have come right back.

We needed to defend and we just didn't defend well enough, contrary to Dunphy's waffle. Clark made the crucial mistake in the first half, and him going off injured presented more problems. Wilson had a very poor game overall.

It's the way it goes. We were the better team in the first half; they were the better team in the second half.

Dunno why people are writing the epitaph for the campaign either. Still ain't over imo. We're Ireland; we do things the hard way.

I agree 100% regarding Houlihan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

rte player is playing up f*cking typical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

We came out for that 2nd half with no intention of playing. The sad thing is we were well on top of them for the last 20mins of the first half.

Been said here already, but backs to the wall at home against ****ing Austria trying to scrape a 2-1 from 45 mins out. Its embarrassing. Moreso because the players we have are better than that.

:rolleyes:

Why do we need to defend? WHy can't we actually control the game ourselves? The minnowism Trap has installed is pathetic. We used to be not afraid to get at teams. We would never have qualified for 2002 with this tactics.

If Wesley Hoolahan had come on with 60 gone, it would have been a lot more even 2nd half. As usual, and this happens so much under Trappatoni, we stay 4-4-2, and by the 2nd half, our players are bollocksed chasing 3 men around the centre of midfield, and they tire, and we literally can't get out of our half. It constantly happens, we've been very lucky to this point to get so many wins/draws as we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Any comments suggesting Traps had not a huge part to play in this draw and our effectiveness in the second half is only trolling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nearly everyone just turns on Ireland because of a great goal in the last minute. If we held on for another minute it would all be fine and dandy but now its the blame game.

You must have missed this thread for the last half hour of the game.

Your analogy above is quite frankly lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Its a total joke. They never have enough bandwidth. Their sound is always out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It was a committed performance and as much as I have dismissed Trap the players were well up for the effort tonight. Austria are a decent enough team and showed that tonight.

The Green on bit was acceptable the Long off wasn't really bad call. Long had plenty more in the tank and offered a threat, Sammon was goosed and really just closed down possession all game not what you want at home.

Hoolihan not getting a run when we needed someone to play the ball a bit is criminal.

Disappointing night would have been very positive only for the last 20 seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Thought Colemans distribution was dreadful at times esp in the second half.

wouldnt have taken off Long but swings and roundabouts. Dont think Hoolahan makes a difference, need to have the ball on the ground to keep it.

Id have put Doyle on for Sammon but thats its.

People need to accept this is our level now. Every player tried their best tonight it just about wasnt good enough to win against a good team

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Any comments suggesting Traps had not a huge part to play in this draw and our effectiveness in the second half is only trolling...

Oh because it's an opinion different to yours, it's trolling?

Laughable comment.

Georgia, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Slovakia, Russia, Germany.

All teams out of my memory without having a good look, where we've deployed the same tactics as tonight, and been very lucky to scrape 1 goal wins or draws.

I am sick of Trappatoni's tactics. I don't see the point of sacking him now, you can't sack him with still being in it, but I can't see us qualifying, the tactics are **** and we are just lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Hoolahan should have been brought on around the hour mark before it became a backs-to-the-wall last 10 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

I had no problem with Green coming on, I'd have rather Holohan but no biggie, I actually think Holohan is being over rated in the same way as McClean last year.
    I wasn't happy with Sammon starting but it wasn't the end of the world. But to take Long off instead of Sammon and then stay with the same formation with Walters going up front and Green out wide was just ridiculous. In my mind I have no doubt we would have held out if Long had stayed on, many will disagree of course but I have no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Gutted. F**king stream went down in 91st minute and log on here to see Austria scored.

Up until last half hour I thought Ireland played better than I've seen in a long time. Can't blame them for Trap's tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

rarnes1 wrote: »

Just think it's a cheap childish shot calling the guy senile
    Well it seems like he is at this stage. My first thought at half time was that we'd sit back the whole second half. The only out ball we had was Long and what does he do? Take him off. I mean what the actual ****?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Ah ****, I'm so disappointed. Repeatedly when we're ahead we don't look to kill off games, and repeatedly Trap is very slow to bring on fresh legs. I can't say that changing the tactics and making different subs would have made a difference but the frustrating thing is we'll never know. I hate supporting Ireland sometimes.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

FutureGuy wrote: »

Laughable comment.
    Just keep trying to wind everyone up, it's very clever, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Trap started speaking German in his interview there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

What the **** is this? Who's the manager here?

• Advertisement

Here we go again with the usual waffle and hiding behind his translator

Learn the bloody language of your team FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I still don't understand this. 1 minute left, free-kick in the corner. Use up the clock with a sub!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

My live stream link went just before the last goal ...I never saw it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Trap is gutted in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Trap started the interview in German...

• Advertisement

God thats absolutely heartbreaking and all because of our defunct obsolete manager and his ever baffling tactics.

Back into our Euro 2012 mode letting wave upon wave of pressure on ourselves. Trap then wont bring on a sub and then brings on a watercarrying midfielder instead of Houlihan and takes off our most dangerous player. In the process of this he left on a tired Sammon.

Here he is now not a word of English with him after 5 years and almost 10m invested in this white elephant project. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just read the last two pages this gif says it all I think.....

hulklaptop.gif

Goodnight folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would say we weren't actually defending enough in that second half. I personally think he left it too late to take off an attacker.

Having said that, Ireland nearly made it 3-1 had it not been for the Austrian keeper making it a terrific save so if that had gone in his attitude would have been vindicated, right?

The bottom line though is Austria needed the point and were always going to push us until the end in order to get it. That's just the way sport is. Even a team you would expect to beat will keep pushing for an equaliser and psychologically the team with most to lose will ease off the most.

I think the Sweden game took a lot out of the players in terms of stamina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

FutureGuy wrote: »

Laughable comment.
    Its mine and anyone else who actually watched the match

Trap started the interview in German...

Maybe he did an interview for Austrian TV first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

fullstop wrote: »
    Well it seems like he is at this stage. My first thought at half time was that we'd sit back the whole second half. The only out ball we had was Long and what does he do? Take him off. I mean what the actual ****?
    I understand taking Long off, he wasn't holding up the ball for the last 10 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The abuse stops here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Trap is struggling with languages and answers in this interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I can see why he brought on Green but it took him so long to make that change is what sickened me the most,but he had another change to make,bring Doyle on up front that's where the legs were gone,Sammon and Walters were finished,the players put in a massive effort last Friday night to get a point against Sweden and played very well tonight in the first half but the legs went and Austria came back into the game and we got caught at the end.

The sideline left the players down tonight.

irish son wrote: »
    I had no problem with Green coming on, I'd have rather Holohan but no biggie, I actually think Holohan is being over rated in the same way as McClean last year.
    I wasn't happy with Sammon starting but it wasn't the end of the world. But to take Long off instead of Sammon and then stay with the same formation with Walters going up front and Green out wide was just ridiculous. In my mind I have no doubt we would have held out if Long had stayed on, many will disagree of course but I have no doubt.

McClean who put in a vast amount of pinpoint crosses tonight? That McClean??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement