Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Vs Austria - K/O 7:45PM - Sky Sports 2 & RTÉ 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

McClean who put in a vast amount of pinpoint crosses tonight? That McClean??

Yes he was good tonight but he was massively overrated last year and made out as if he was on the verge of being world class, fuelled by Dunphy and the media in the same way as Holohan is now, Duff and McGeady were and are better players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Just because we are level on points with Austria and Sweden doesn't eradicate the tactical blunders Trap made in the second half tonight. I don't think he should be sacked but the points table doesn't justify poor decisions. We parked the bus at home for the entirety of the second half after dominating for the last half hour of the first half... at home to Austria.... Christ, we mightn't be Spain but we're not that bad that we need to resort to that against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Why only 2 subs used Trap when the team were out on their feet?
    He probably forgot he had another sub left. This is Trap we're talking about here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

If a new manager does come in then its gona be the same sh*t from everyone, a nation of complainers!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

Taking Long off instead of Sammon was one of the daftest decisions I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

It's very disappointing. We now have to do something we haven't done in a long time and that means going for the wins. No more scrappy draws as per usual. Trap made the wrong decisions tonight and the buck stops with him I'm afraid. I don't think he should be sacked, but he has to play to our strengths and pick the best players we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

What was brady saying?

Making the point that we have only lost 1 game in this group to the best team in the group and with the players Trap has at his disposal we are in a great position in the group,roughly that's what he was saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's the lads I feel sorry for. Look at poor Long here.

Dunphy is right.. the longer Trap stays on the more damage he does to them and their futures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I blame George Hamilton. Once he started talking about a "victory" in the 89th minute I knew we were fcuked. 'Danger here' all over again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

We gave the ball away really cheaply in the last 2mins which cost us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It was not the managers sole fault that the team dropped so deep (and lost the ability to pass the ball)
    It was also not his fault that despite being so deep, Alaba, with seconds to go in the game, had acres of space to do what he liked just outside the box, in the centre of the goal.

Failed to finish out the game, hated the second half performance, deserved exactly what we got here, if that.

Poor from the team, poor from the manager.

Ardent wrote: »
    The Trap knockers think another manager will turn these players into world beaters. I thought the team played really well tonight, unlucky to concede so late.

Another manager might take off the tactical strait jacket and let us attack instead of this suicide 1982 italian style outdated football.

No one is suggesting world beaters. Thats just the moronic pathetic counter argument we are getting back when we put a valid case forward for a 2m a year manager to be sacked for the tactics he is deploying. For the continuous bickering with players via the media and the miscommunication and the fact he still needs a translator after 5 years in the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Ireland played well in the 1st half but reverted to type in the 2nd and got what they deserved in the end. Trap was talking German in the interview at the end. He's a great old manager who should have left after the Euros. It is sad to see him floundering now in his old age, he deserves to retire. Unfortunately for Ireland and this group of very dedicated and competent footballers - who were were capable of qualifying - the FAI's failure to move Trap on and get a new manager in will likely cost them their chance of playing in Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

irish son wrote: »
    Holohan
    Are you taking the mick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Its sickening that he's being asked about retiring. If we held on for a few more seconds there wouldn't be a mention of him stepping down. It would be all talk about us sitting in second in the group til summer.

A draw is a draw, doesn't matter when the equalizer is scored but because of a last minute goal this is what's being talked about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Poulter guest?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

[Quote=[-0-];83850891]We needed Hoolahan with 30 minutes to go. Instead we got Green and St-Ledger. Terrible management.[/Quote]

Ok so our CB goes off injured with a shoulder injury. Who else would you bring on instead of St Ledger?

You also think putting an attacking midfielder, who plays in the hole for his club on when our midfield is being overrun is a good idea?

If he brought on Houlihan in that situation, he should have been shot.

The lack of basic footballing sense being spouted by some is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Austria's next game is at home to Sweden. That will tell us a lot about how the group will shape up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I blame George Hamilton. Once he started talking about a "victory" in the 89th minute I knew we were fcuked. 'Danger here' all over again!

Can't see how he can help Austria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Dunphy thinks Polterguest plays at the back for Austria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Ah ****, I'm so disappointed. Repeatedly when we're ahead we don't look to kill off games, and repeatedly Trap is very slow to bring on fresh legs. I can't say that changing the tactics and making different subs would have made a difference but the frustrating thing is we'll never know. I hate supporting Ireland sometimes.:(
    My sentiments to ...like I enjoyed a lot of the Irish play tonight but Ireland must hold the record for last minute goals conceded and it's so frustrating not to be able to

A - kill off teams ...or

B - just hold onto what we have ( had ) .

I thought Long going off was a mistake because he looked comfortable enough but either way , there was enough fresh legs around to have held the ball up long enough to make the difference . Supporting Ireland is very frustrating indeed because to qualify ,we are always seem to rely on other teams to slip up when with a little shape to our game , we could have so much more of a say in it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Leiva wrote: »
    We gave the ball away really cheaply in the last 2mins which cost us.

Was it Whelan or McCarthy who played a horrible ball over the top in the last minute? so stupid

Liam Brady is talking sense here.

Dunphy is just sensationalising everything, doing his best to be controversial!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Tinie wrote: »
    Brady does my head in.

It's tough for him as the only Pro-Trap man on the panel, but hes too pro amd the rest are too anti-Trap. Lot of OTT on both sides.
    but he's spouting ****e there. One min he's saying you can talk about Hoolahan all you want but Austria are technically better, then he agrees Hoolahan should have come one. He mentions most of Irish team not even playing in top half PL bit mentions Weimann as Austrian example.

Awful subs tonight. ****i n gutted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

If a new manager does come in then its gona be the same sh*t from everyone, a nation of complainers!

and yet you are complaining about the complainers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Trap should not be sacked mid-campaign, that would benefit nobody.

Still doesn't mean we have to be happy with his decisions though. I hope he actually learns from his mistakes this time and improves for the rest of the games. We no longer have the players that can resist constant onslaught from the other team (Given, Dunne, etc.). We do have players that can keep possession (McCarthy, Hoolahan, etc.). I really think he needs to realise and play to our actual strengths, not the ones he wishes we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Someone needs to put a gag on Dunphy, he talks some amount of horse manure!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

5 games left level points with second placed Sweden to play them and Austria far from over but far from easy we are sitting in line with ability so far.

Trap has us set up do do well away not at home but 2/3 home games are easy, Sweden is possible and away if he stays to form could surprise us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

kryogen wrote: »
    It was not the managers sole fault that the team dropped so deep
    It was also not his fault that despite being so deep, Alaba, with seconds to go in the game, had acres of space to do what he liked just outside the box, in the centre of the goal.

Failed to finish out the game, hated the second half performance, deserved exactly what we got here, if that.

Poor from the team, poor from the manager.

A lot of the team were out on their feet and the manager did fook all for a very long time and then made a bizzare sub. Also tactically inept when the game was going away from us.

Sure the players have to take some responsibility but the majority of it has Tito be layed at Traps feet IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

[-0-] wrote: »
    We needed Hoolahan with 30 minutes to go. Instead we got Green and St-Ledger. Terrible management.

St Ledger was cover for an injury.
    The thing that surprised me with Green coming on was that Walters switched up front. I though he would pop Green in front of the back four.

• Advertisement

irish son wrote: »
    Yes he was good tonight but he was massively overrated last year and made out as if he was on the verge of being world class, fuelled by Dunphy and the media in the same way as Holohan is now, Duff and McGeady were and are better players.

Maybe not world class. I dunno where you heard that tbh but he is certainly Irish class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Ardent wrote: »
    The Trap knockers think another manager will turn these players into world beaters. I thought the team played really well tonight, unlucky to concede so late.

I get really angry when I see this sh*te being spouted. And the trap defenders seem to think we are this sophisticated and water tight defensive unit. We most certainly are not.

He has no interest in playing attacking possession based football? Fine. But on the flipside of that then make sure we are hard to beat.

They guy played Conor f*cking Sammon for 90 mins in a vital qualifier. That should have alarm bells ringing straight away.

This guff that there are "plenty of games left" is wearing thin aswell. Always "hoping" for what may be in the next game, when we drop vital points at home.

Austria being technically better than us? I'm not having that either. They are not so technically great as to negate the things we should be good at.

Bill would be a good anchor man on Fox :D

markie29 wrote: »
    and yet you are complaining about the complainers

Yeah? Am I not part of the nation? :P

Yup, Poltergeist for Austria in the back four, no presence. he doesnt even do his best to be controversial anymore! he used to try harder ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭Hitchens

we had a greatly enjoyable evening all the same, alright the win would have been great but that's the way with sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'd take a look inward or at least read back over some of your previous posts.

I get really angry when I see this sh*te being spouted. And the trap defenders seem to think we are this sophisticated and water tight defensive unit. We most certainly are not.

He has no interest in playing attacking possession based football? Fine. But on the flipside of that then make sure we are hard to beat.

They guy played Conor f*cking Sammon for 90 mins in a vital qualifier. That should have alarm bells ringing straight away.

This guff that there are "plenty of games left" is wearing thin aswell. Always "hoping" for what may be in the next game, when we drop vital points at home.

Austria being technically better than us? I'm not having that either. They are not so technically great as to negate the things we should be good at.

Eh we are hard to beat..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Many of the people in this thread defending Trap's substitutions seem to be missing the fact that we only made 2 subs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Its sickening that he's being asked about retiring. If we held on for a few more seconds there wouldn't be a mention of him stepping down. It would be all talk about us sitting in second in the group til summer.

A draw is a draw, doesn't matter when the equalizer is scored but because of a last minute goal this is what's being talked about.

Maybe so, but those would have been 3 massive points, we should have done better in the end, 2 points dropped which could cost us massively when all the games are done.

Austria beat FI 6-0 the last day, we won't put that many past them. But things are looking better, tonight, as well as Fridays performances have their positives, but we have to defend better, especially so late in the game.

• Advertisement

TheBunk1 wrote: »
    It's tough for him as the only Pro-Trap man on the panel, but hes too pro amd the rest are too anti-Trap. Lot of OTT on both sides.
    but he's spouting ****e there. One min he's saying you can talk about Hoolahan all you want but Austria are technically better, then he agrees Hoolahan should have come one. He mentions most of Irish team not even playing in top half PL bit mentions Weimann as Austrian example.

Awful subs tonight. ****i n gutted

Sounds alot like on here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Austria's next game is at home to Sweden. That will tell us a lot about how the group will shape up.

Being honest, I've not been impressed with either Austria or Sweden and I think we've got the ability to run them very close.

It's just hard to take when we had one of them on the ropes tonight and made no attempt to finish them off.

The groups far from over IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I don't think Trapattoni really understands what is going on with the Irish team. I rate him as a manager but I don't think he understands one thing about Ireland. 5 more games to go but Austria and Sweden are no world beaters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Yep, if they beat Austria, they are effectively 4 points ahead of us. If we don't beat Sweden at home then, that will be us effectively out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Realistically, bar tonight, results have been ok. We are still in the hunt, but we now need some results to go our way to finish second. We won't beat Germany, Sweden and after tonight's evidence Austria but we need to make sure we don't get beat and hope they pick off each other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Fire Trap. Sign Brian McDermot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Walters shouldn't start.

egg on face, he runs his guts into the ground every game, should be on most games if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I am at a loss to explain how some can defend Trappatoni still. He is damaging our team dreadfully. He has to go along with that money grabbing twit Delaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Good for the first 55 mins, absolute dirt clinging on with hope for the rest. Painful to watch, I thought it was looking good after Friday and getting stuck in tonight, then we reverted back to old Ireland :(

Heartbreaking to concede so late all the same, hoping we give it an honest good go in the final 5 games and keep a bit of hope!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Liam Brady was talking nonsense, though I understand why he will remain loyal to him to the end. Trap should have left after the Euros. He was talking German at the start of the post match interview.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement