Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Vs Austria - K/O 7:45PM - Sky Sports 2 & RTÉ 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Eh we are hard to beat..

But are you really happy with that when on nights like tonight the win is there for the taking and we willingly hand the incentive right back to the opposition when we're more than capable of finishing the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

The reality is that over the 90mins we were lucky tonight and should be happy with the point.

The sickening manner of conceding the equaliser so late shouldnt detract form the fact that we were 2nd best all night and should have been put right out of contention in the group.

Time to regroup now - beat the Faroes and show some real grit at squeaky bum time as we have done so often in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Sack Trap and give another manager a chance to whip the team into shame for the Euro's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

adox wrote: »
    I'd take a look inward or at least read back over some of your previous posts.

Yeah cos that'l tell us loads about Eamon Dunphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Genius from Long. So unlucky.

no, should have took it with his left and tapped it in :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Agree with others. Sick of that interviewer's attitude asking him if he is going to resign - over a draw.

Absolute disgrace. Sky style bollocks.

I have to laugh at this "sky style bollocks".

Most of you watch English soccer every weekend on Sky, and shout at TVs in bars across the country in English accents with crap like "Who are ya, who are ya, who are ya?".

Essien wrote: »
    But are you really happy with that when on nights like tonight the win is there for the taking and we willingly hand the incentive right back to the opposition when we're more than capable of finishing the job?

Im absolutly gutted tonight.. feel sick after that equaliser, dont get me wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yeah cos that'l tell us loads about Eamon Dunphy

I was talking about...................
    Oh never mind, it's pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

gandalf wrote: »
    I am at a loss to explain how some can defend Trappatoni still. He is damaging our team dreadfully. He has to go along with that money grabbing twit Delaney.

To be honest we are dreaming. We are not Germany or Italy. Our football is at a very low profile never mind our players on the pitch. They really do things a lot better(football anyway) in Italy.

It is a lot easier to defend Trapattoni than our current state of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

mada999 wrote: »

You're absolutely right

• Advertisement

Im absolutly gutted tonight.. feel sick after that equaliser, dont get me wrong

Do you agree that the win was there if we just kept doing what we were doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Prior to game against Sweden and Austria tonight , if we said we would get 0-0 and 2-2 from each game ,I think most Irish people would have accepted that and Austrian manger before tonight's game said he would be happy to come away with a draw ,so there's still more drama to come ...of course :pac:

SantryRed wrote: »
    He has been rubbish out on the right wing though, but don't let a goal mask that. He'd do a better job than Sammon up front and then we could actually have someone right wing to aid Coleman when going forward.

yup maybe brady oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Fire Trap. Sign Brian McDermot

Trapattoni
    Juventus
    Italian League (6): 1976–77, 1977–78, 1980–81, 1981–82, 1983–84, 1985–86
    Italian Cup (2): 1978–79, 1982–83
    European Cup (1): 1984–85
    UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (1): 1984
    UEFA Cup (2): 1977, 1993
    European Super Cup (1): 1984
    Intercontinental Cup (1): 1985

Internazionale
    Italian League (1): 1988–89
    Supercoppa Italiana: 1989
    UEFA Cup (1): 1991

Bayern Munich
    German League (1): 1996–97
    German Cup (1): 1997–98
    German League Cup (1): 1996–97

Benfica
    Portuguese League (1): 2004–05

Red Bull Salzburg
    Austrian League (1): 2006–07

Republic of Ireland
    Nations Cup (1): 2011

Brian Mc Dermott.
    Half season Premier League experience..

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Sounds alot like on here :D

And people say we need to get a life and get off that computer. Mirror to real life I always say. Just more dangerous here

mada999 wrote: »

No he done the right thing. His back was to goal and he caught the keeper off guard. Unlucky with the outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I remember the days when everyone was disappointed after we conceded those last minute equalisers/winners. Before the british tabloid blame culture took over and everyone just blamed the manager instead. :rolleyes:

It's funny trying to explain to someone from abroad why the Irish people want a manager to go who has led Ireland to two playoffs and is in contention for another playoff spot. Considering we had no playoffs for 3 campaigns before him and having a declining squad.
    It's the stuff of disbelief, to add to the comedy we call ourselves the best fans in the world. We're nothing if not jokers.

Do you agree that the win was there if we just kept doing what we were doing?

Yeah it was but thats not always possible, players tire etc.

There was 11 tired players out there, if it was 2 different ones that Trap took off there would still be people with problems with him.

Some people are just set against the man, no matter what he does theyl never accept him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Managers come and go but some things stay the same.

Apparently tragic outcomes like tonight have been happening to us for the last 30 years plus - ever since the long ball approach was popularised in british football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

and the fact he still needs a translator after 5 years in the job.
    Whatever about anything else, I think this is a pathetic stick to beat the manager with. He's a 74 year old man ffs, give him a break.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

that comment by trap about not being germany or england is why he should be sacked. hello we know we are not but don't use **** like that as an easy scapegoat to get out of your sabotaging of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

aindriu80 wrote: »
    To be honest we are dreaming. We are not Germany or Italy. Our football is at a very low profile never mind our players on the pitch. They really do things a lot better(football anyway) in Italy.

It is a lot easier to defend Trapattoni than our current state of football.

To be honest he even made Italy look bad when he was over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Trapattoni
    Juventus

Internazionale

Bayern Munich

Benfica

Red Bull Salzburg

Republic of Ireland

Brian Mc Dermott.
    Ha ha the Nations Cup

5 games left.. 12 points will do it..

We need to beat Faroes, Sweden, Kazakhstan at home.

Austria away.

Its not a disaster.

We can still do it.

COYBIG

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Downlinz wrote: »
    I remember the days when everyone was disappointed after we conceded those last minute equalisers/winners. Before the british tabloid blame culture took over and everyone just blamed the manager instead. :rolleyes:

It's funny trying to explain to someone from abroad why the Irish people want a manager to go who has led Ireland to two playoffs and is in contention for another playoff spot. Considering we had no playoffs for 3 campaigns before him and having a declining squad.
    It's the stuff of disbelief, to add to the comedy we call ourselves the best fans in the world. We're nothing if not jokers.

Kerr failed to qualify for two consecutive campaigns before he got sacked, why shouldn't Trap get the same if we get close this time around ??

Renn wrote: »
    To be honest he even made Italy look bad when he was over them.

Who can we bring in after Trap ? For me football is built on your own national league. We are no where near there. It would be great to get a top flight manager but who and how ?

Yeah it was but thats not always possible, players tire etc.

There was 11 tired players out there, if it was 2 different ones that Trap took off there would still be people with problems with him.

The do indeed, be they Irish, Austrian or anything else. Yet it was the Irish ones who had the clear psychological advantage after 45 mins. Our reluctance (not inability) to capitalize on this let them back into it.
    Some people are just set against behind the man, no matter what he does theyl never accept doubt him

FTFY

CSF wrote: »
    McClean was definitely massively overrated last year. Can you really question that?

You could say that about any player that bursts onto scene and catches everyone off guard with the element of surprise though. But i do I rate him better then McGeady and i think he is your typical old fashioned winger who likes to thread the chalk and attack the opposition on the wing, go to the byline and get a cross in. Whether they think he is Messi or not is neither here nor there tbh.
    He is exactly what Ireland need though in terms of directness. McGeady is a good player to have but only as a squad player. Id prefer to go for it and lose rather then be cagey as we are

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Kerr failed to qualify for two consecutive campaigns before he got sacked, why shouldn't Trap get the same if we get close this time around ??
    Did Kerr not get just one full campaign?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Downlinz wrote: »

Lol. Condescending nonsense.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Anyone care to state Paul Greens club position?

Has The manager not stated that he is concerned about Bradys defensive contribution.

So with a lead to defend against a fitter, more technical side, people scream for attacking options. That's when our midfield is being overrun.

But no lets all take the easy option an fcuk the manager out of it. The only thing I was critical of was that the third sub was not ready to come on to waste time.

Please lads, none of ye go into management.

I blame Championship manager.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Ha ha the Nations Cup

The only silverware we have ever won :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Trapattoni
    Juventus

Internazionale

Bayern Munich

Benfica

Red Bull Salzburg

Republic of Ireland

Brian Mc Dermott.

Trap is an old man now who should have retired after the Euros. Your statistics are as relevant if you put up Bob Paisley, Bill Shankly or Jock Stein's statistics against McDermott's statistics.

Utterly irrelevant post. Trap was a great manager in his day but he should be gone, and this group of fairly good Irish players will pay the price for the failure of the FAI to move Trap on and get a compos mentis manager in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Thought the last 30 minutes was going to be Russia again but George jinxed it saying "victory" in the 89th minute :). Feel sorry for all the players who worked all night but to not bring on a central midfielder i.e Hoolahan was a disgraceful decision.

Long, Coleman, O'Shea, McClean and Wilson were the standouts for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

gandalf wrote: »
    I am at a loss to explain how some can defend Trappatoni still. He is damaging our team dreadfully. He has to go along with that money grabbing twit Delaney.
    You're right,of course, let's get Stan back quick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Who can we bring in after Trap ? For me football is built on your own national league. We are no where near there. It would be great to get a top flight manager but who and how ?

Hughton, if he'd take the job

The do indeed, be they Irish, Austrian or anything else. Yet it was the Irish ones who had the clear psychological advantage after 45 mins. Our reluctance (not inability) to capitalize on this let them back into it.

FTFY

Yeah very true, some are behind him..

And as supporters whats the better way to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

5 games left.. 12 points will do it..

We need to beat Faroes, Sweden, Kazakhstan at home.

Austria away.

Its not a disaster.

We can still do it.

COYBIG

We will neither beat Sweden at home or Austria away.

We have no grounds to believe we will, bar wishful thinking. 2 draws at best.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

token101 wrote: »
    Hughton, if he'd take the job

He's not insane.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

EdenHazard wrote: »
    that comment by trap about not being germany or england is why he should be sacked. hello we know we are not but don't use **** like that as an easy scapegoat to get out of your sabotaging of the team.

But he's fcuking right! He was being challenged by O'Donoghue live on air with inappropriate immature questions.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Don't agree....we didn't have the players to go out and get a third and kill off this game.

dont agree with this we got two already why not three?? should have went at them and push them back instead of them pushing us back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

He's not insane.

Maybe not, but I doubt Norwich pays that much, I doubt the FAI would be a million miles away financially. And realistically they're not going much further than mid table, even with the addition of Wolfswinkel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Ireland is basically poision to watch under Trappatoni. The man doesn't even know the Preimership and Championship inside out and doesn't even attend matches which is extremely poor from an international manager. He plays tactics that are outdated and his team selections just make us vulnerable in the middle of the park.

We need change now and I don't see it happening because the FAI will have to get the cheque out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Least we don't have plane for Rio now.

The players gave it their all. Can't fault them, but why the **** could we not do what we did for 60 minutes and do that for final 30.

The sad thing was Alba goal did not surprise me.

We have blown a realistic chance of playoff.

No chance of getting 6 points in September.

Too angry now been honest off to watch some comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I have rarely been as mad listening to post match interviews and punditry as I have tonight when listening to Trap and Brady.

We may not be Brazil but we are ****ing good enough to beat the likes of ****ing Austria.

Brady goes on to state how our team consists of bottom half premier league sides and then lists Wieman as one of Austrias great players.

He plays for ****ing Aston Villa Liam. There not exactly table toppers either at the minute.

**** off Trapatoni and take your negative attitude with you.

I stood by Trapatoni even after the Euros but after tonight, thats it Im done. Its just a pity hes still in a job until the end of this campaign.

****ing pathetic attitude from him. **** OFF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I can see both sides of the Trap argument tbh.

I hate his negativity, his sitting back when we are winning inviting pressure, his picking of talentless players who will run and not choose guys that are better footballers.

But he is also the man who took a 4th seeded side to a major championship, the man who has us punching above our weight with what are mostly average players, a man with a great record in the game.

But tonight was a kick in the stones. It is always gutting to lose points in the last mins of a game, but does anyone remember our first qualifier in this group?

And I really wish people woudl stop raving about Wes as if he is Messi-like, cos he ain't. He's a decent player but he plays for Norwich. If he was as good as Dunphy thinks he is, he would be at a top club. He isn't Ireland's saviour.

No point worrying about maths, we ain't going to Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

The only silverware we have ever won :D

What about that tournament over in Iceland. The Tri-Wizard Cup or whatever it was called?

Sure Czechoslovakia already had a European Championship title by then, but this was the trophy they really wanted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Ok so our CB goes off injured with a shoulder injury. Who else would you bring on instead of St Ledger?

You also think putting an attacking midfielder, who plays in the hole for his club on when our midfield is being overrun is a good idea?

If he brought on Houlihan in that situation, he should have been shot.

The lack of basic footballing sense being spouted by some is amazing.

Actually it can have the complete opposite effect on a team, a calming presence who is comfortable on the ball with fresh legs is exactly what you need in the last few minutes when protecting a lead. Sinking into your shell only invites more pressure.

Anyone with "basic footballing sense" would know that I'd have thought.
    Trap should not be sacked mid-campaign, that would benefit nobody.

It would benefit plenty. It would give a new man half a campaign to get used to the setup and the players he has to work with.

As it is, we can now look forward to someone having to try settle in at the beginning of the Euros campaign.

This World Cup group is as good as finished as far as Ireland are concerned, cut your losses with Trap and get the new regime rolling.

Yeah very true, some are behind him..

And as supporters whats the better way to be?

As supporters, it's always best to be behind a manager who is doing what's best for the team and it's players, trap doesn't fall into this category.

Trapattoni
    Juventus

Internazionale

Bayern Munich

Benfica

Red Bull Salzburg

Republic of Ireland

Brian Mc Dermott.

Welcome to 2013
    Giovanni's Irish Record

• Annihilated at the Euros
    • Dropped Kevin Kilbane and Kevin Doyle from a squad by text message (the former with a mere 110 caps to his name)
    • Fell out with Kevin Foley
    • Public fall out with Steven Kelly
    • Said Stephen Reid was finished and yet he is currently still one of the better players in the West Brom midfield
    • Still needs the help of a translator
    • Negative tactics that were probably en vogue in the 1970s
    • Plays strikers on the wing
    • Prefers water carrying championship players who cant pass to players who play Premiership football and are good on the ball

Yep were all idiots he's doing a great job :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement