Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Vs Austria - K/O 7:45PM - Sky Sports 2 & RTÉ 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Least we don't have plane for Rio now.

The players gave it their all. Can't fault them, but why the **** could we not do what we did for 60 minutes and do that for final 30.

The sad thing was Alba goal did not surprise me.

We have blown a realistic chance of playoff.

No chance of getting 6 points in September.

Too angry now been honest off to watch some comedy.

It's only a whimsical notion
    To fly down to Rio tonight,
    And I probably won't fly down to Rio,
    But then again, I just might.

;)

[Quote=[-0-];83851187]

I have to laugh at this "sky style bollocks".

Most of you watch English soccer every weekend on Sky, and shout at TVs in bars across the country in English accents with crap like "Who are ya, who are ya, who are ya?".[/Quote]

Sheeeet just got real.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

We're having sort of a Premier League club mentality now...Fails to reach objective once ....... Sack him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Is trap gone yet? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Anyone care to state Paul Greens club position?

Has The manager not stated that he is concerned about Bradys defensive contribution.

So with a lead to defend against a fitter, more technical side, people scream for attacking options. That's when our midfield is being overrun.

But no lets all take the easy option an fcuk the manager out of it. The only thing I was critical of was that the third sub was not ready to come on to waste time.

Please lads, none of ye go into management.

I blame Championship manager.

But he put Walters up front, he should have left him out wide with Green in the centre for a 5 man midfield to hold out with Long up front alone, Sammon offered nothing, Long would have had the speed and ability to make runs down the channels to hold the ball up and waste time as he did all game. He is also better in the air than Sammon and wins a lot of frees. It really was a baffling substitution and I don't know anyone can say otherwise.

Welcome to 2013
    Giovanni's Irish Record

• Annihilated at the Euros
    • Dropped Kevin Kilbane and Kevin Doyle from a squad by text message (the former with a mere 110 caps to his name)
    • Fell out with Kevin Foley
    • Public fall out with Steven Kelly
    • Said Stephen Reid was finished and yet he is currently still one of the better players in the West Brom midfield
    • Still needs the help of a translator
    • Negative tactics that were probably en vogue in the 1970s
    • Plays strikers on the wing
    • Prefers water carrying championship players who cant pass to players who play Premiership football and are good on the ball

Yep were all idiots he's doing a great job :rolleyes:

So is reaching the Euros not an achievement...
    Finished bottom, but finished bottom in a group consisting of the two finalists and a team roughly thirty places ahead of us in the rankings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

@ midlife crashes

They are Traps CLUB records

He was $hit when he managed ITALY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The worst part is that the first 60 minutes was some of the best football we played in long time.

We passed, created chances, pressed and were aggressive in the Austrian half. Then out of nowhere we suddenly collapse and go into negative overdrive.

That is down to manager. Full Stop.

I feel sorry for likes of Long and Walters and the rest who have given 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Downlinz

joe123 wrote: »
    I have rarely been as mad listening to post match interviews and punditry as I have tonight when listening to Trap and Brady.

We may not be Brazil but we are ****ing good enough to beat the likes of ****ing Austria.

Brady goes on to state how our team consists of bottom half premier league sides and then lists Wieman as one of Austrias great players.

He plays for ****ing Aston Villa Liam. There not exactly table toppers either at the minute.

**** off Trapatoni and take your negative attitude with you.

I stood by Trapatoni even after the Euros but after tonight, thats it Im done. Its just a pity hes still in a job until the end of this campaign.

****ing pathetic attitude from him. **** OFF!

The core of their team is Bayern, Werder Bremen, Stuttgart, Schalke and Besiktas. They are considerably better clubs than Stoke, West Brom, Norwich and Wigan.
    They have 2 players who were in the CL knockouts this season, we had zero who played at any level of Europe this season in our squad.
    All their players play in the top tier of their leagues, we have several playing in the championship.

Even if Brady fluffed his explanation it doesn't make it incorrect, believing it is absurd to lose to the "likes of" Austria is ridiculous arrogance and completely unfounded. We got a draw against a superior team tonight, Alaba will probably turn into a player better than anyone we've had in our history if he's not there already. Bit of perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

Sammon shouldn't be in the squad, let alone the starting 11. Pissed about that result. Austria were threatening and Long was looking a decent outlet for taking off pressure and he's taken off? For Green? The subs were made too late. And any manager at almost any level would have pulled out a player to sub to break up the game 90 mins +

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Finished bottom, but finished bottom in a group consisting of the two finalists and a team roughly thirty places ahead of us in the rankings

The day a manager states he is happy to draw at home with Austria is the day something is seriously wrong.

If you are happy with that, then I guess I like to aim for something a little bit more.

@ midlife crashes

They are Traps CLUB records

He was $hit when he managed ITALY.

Well when he managed Italy they were knocked out of the 2002 World Cup even though they had like what ....3 goals counted as offside when they clearly weren't also one of the most ridiculous sending offs in history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Least we don't have plane for Rio now.

The players gave it their all. Can't fault them, but why the **** could we not do what we did for 60 minutes and do that for final 30.

The sad thing was Alba goal did not surprise me.

We have blown a realistic chance of playoff.

No chance of getting 6 points in September.

Too angry now been honest off to watch some comedy.

Where the fcuk are people getting this idea we need 6 points in September????????

Our Rivals Fixtures:

Sweden

Austria (A)
    Faeroes (H)
    Ireland (A)
    Kaz (A)
    Austria (H)
    Germany (H)

Austria

Sweden (H)
    Germany (A)
    Ireland (H)
    Sweden (A)
    Faeroes (H)

We could easily, easily find 4 points vs Sweden & Austria being enough to finish 2nd. There's all sorts of scenarios where opponents drop points and a win/draw combo in September is enough.

Whatever happens asking the manager should he resign when we are in this position is absolute bonkers sensationalist drivel.

Another thing that pissed me off when Trap said "But we are not Brazil,Germany or England":mad:

But Trap,we qualified for 1 Euros and 3 World Cups in 20 years up to when you came along.

He is trying to put us on par with Lichtenstein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Downlinz

The most incredible thing is in the 90's Dunphy used to be the counter culture madman, we've turned him into the voice of popular opinion in 2013. The previous voice of logic Brady is now the indefensible madman.

Where did it all go wrong in Irish culture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

just back home from the Aviva. looking at it objectively, it was a fair result. Austria were better than expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Seems that alot of people are uneducated about international football and seem to think that Ireland have better players than Austria?

Come on lads ye know that Austria are superior to Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I wish he sat a TOEFL test before he took the job. I speak a few words of Italian and could get my point across. Trap having a go at it sounds very closed (for a lack of a better word).

Another thing that pissed me off when Trap said "But we are not Brazil,Germany or England":mad:

But Trap,we qualified for 1 Euros and 3 World Cups in 20 years up to when you came along.

He is trying to put on on par with Lichtenstein.

yeah and we missed 6 of those tournaments in that period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

The worst part is that the first 60 minutes was some of the best football we played in long time.

Clearly you imagined this, as I've been assured by almost a handful of posters here that no Irish person, living or dead, would ever have the ability to complete a pass.

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote: »
    The day a manager states he is happy to draw at home with Austria is the day something is seriously wrong.

If you are happy with that, then I guess I like to aim for something a little bit more.

Are Austria considered minnows now...
    It's not like he said he was happy drawing with San Marino...

Where the fcuk are people getting this idea we need 6 points in September????????

Our Rivals Fixtures:

Sweden

Austria (A)
    Faeroes (H)
    Ireland (A)
    Kaz (A)
    Austria (H)
    Germany (H)

Austria

Sweden (H)
    Germany (A)
    Ireland (H)
    Sweden (A)
    Faeroes (H)

We could easily, easily find 4 points vs Sweden & Austria being enough to finish 2nd. There's all sorts of scenarios where opponents drop points and a win/draw combo in September is enough.

Whatever happens asking the manager should he resign when we are in this position is absolute bonkers sensationalist drivel.

Seriously **** this **** of getting 4 points.

We need 6 Points. This **** of ****ing oh 4 points. We then need to rely on other teams doing us favours.

FFS a dead duck would know this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Had to laugh at a quote from Dunphy. "That Austrian centre half? Poltergeist? He's useless".

An apt description of his heavy-handed defending over the years :D

just back home from the Aviva. looking at it objectively, it was a fair result. Austria were better than expected.

I was waiting for ye to start chanting 'Bring Weso on'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

would Hoolahan have stopped Alaba? that question is missing the point.

would Long have stopped the goal? completely missing the point.

we did not put our foot on the ball for the final 25 minutes. we took off our best player on the night, and most effective runner. we invited Austria onto us. 3 v 2 in the centre eventually told.

our energy was fantastic for over an hour. Trap had set us up ok. the players were playing for him and the shirt. it was enjoyable. everyone in here was quite optimistic.

but Trapattoni seems to have an inability to react, and an inherent stubbornness to change things when the world can see things need changing. everyone could see midfield was overrun. he did nothing. Austria had some chances and looked very dangerous as a direct result. he brings Green on for our best player, and doesn't change the formation. we still have nobody to hold onto the ball, we have a wrecked Conor Sammon instead of a better and more energetic Long, and we have nobody extra in midfield.

yes, we were a minute away from a victory. and it has gutted me. but objectively, it would not have been deserved if we'd won.

this is because we couldn't hold the ball for more than 5 seconds, seen as we were still outnumbered, only now also wrecked because of the work of the players, we were sucked further and further back. it became inevitable.

it is partly the fault of the players, of course. they should have done better. but they also got little or no help from their manager in that last halfhour.

as much credit as Trap should get for the way we played for him in the 1st half, he should be criticised for his lack of movement on the bench in the 2nd half. we could not stay on the front foot being that outnumbered. it needed a change, badly. everyone could see it.

we must now beat Austria in Vienna.

Brady was there spouting Trap's shíte about us being inferior. to fúcking Austria! tired for that shítty rhetoric. we're not. we can play football, certainly on the level of the Austrians.

funnily enough, tonight saw in the 1st half why Trap gets support, and in the 2nd, why he gets stick. it was all there, in 90 minutes.

oh, and needless to say, i don't think Trap should be sacked. fúck's sake. that'd be pointless while we're still in with a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

:mad: FFS Trap.

I had my head in my hands for the last 30 mins. Make the change Trap. Its so obvious what we need. Make the change!!!!!

Even when he brought an extra midfielder on he stayed with the 4-4-2.:rolleyes:

No surprise that Trap's system/philosophy is found out again when it really mattered.

We are going nowhere with him as manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Seems that alot of people are uneducated about international football and seem to think that Ireland have better players than Austria?

You're still missing the point - the game was there for the taking and we decided we'd risk sitting on it, as usual. Regardless of who produces the better players, our players showed in the first 50-60 mins that we're more than capable of beating them when we make the effort.

Nobody is questioning the quality of player either nation produces :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

SlickRic wrote: »
    would Hoolahan have stopped Alaba? that question is missing the point.

Our ball possession dropped down to 13%. Trying to defend from the 50th minute is not on. I couldn't watch from the 50th minute on. I thought he would bring on Hoolahan and leave on Long. It represented our best opportunity to keep the ball and get another goal.

No matter what we can't expect to defend from the 50th minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I was waiting for ye to start chanting 'Bring Weso on'.

when the substitution for Ireland was announced, everyone presumed Hoolahan was coming on. Then Paul Green came on for Shane Long. People literally started laughing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

murpho999 wrote: »
    Still thiink we can beat Sweden at home and Austria away (draw there could even be enough). Lots of footall still to be played yet.

I think we can too (although I also taught we could beat Austria at home). Being realistic we need a very strange turn of events to qualify now. It's as good as over but not quite.

• Advertisement

Whats the point in getting to the Euros if your not going to 'throw a punch' so to speak? I dont mind us being beaten but when a manager on €2m a year instructs us to play with no attacking ambition whatsoever then i have a problem.

The big blooper on the FAI's part (Surprise Surprise :rolleyes:) was to offer him a contract BEFORE the tournament. They should have waited to see how it panned out first and sacked him after the tournament. I wouldnt expect nothing else from them though. They are populist politicians who have no interest in the game. Truly vile individuals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Welcome to 2013
    Giovanni's Irish Record

• Annihilated at the Euros
    • Dropped Kevin Kilbane and Kevin Doyle from a squad by text message (the former with a mere 110 caps to his name)
    • Fell out with Kevin Foley
    • Public fall out with Steven Kelly
    • Said Stephen Reid was finished and yet he is currently still one of the better players in the West Brom midfield
    • Still needs the help of a translator
    • Negative tactics that were probably en vogue in the 1970s
    • Plays strikers on the wing
    • Prefers water carrying championship players who cant pass to players who play Premiership football and are good on the ball

Yep were all idiots he's doing a great job :rolleyes:

That is a completely unbiased assessment, can I subscribe to your newsletter! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

I imagine, somewhere, Roy Keane is laughing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

when the substitution for Ireland was announced, everyone presumed Hoolahan was coming on. Then Paul Green came on for Shane Long. People literally started laughing.

And booing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

What the hell...

What happened at the Euros is exactly what should have happened...

We were beaten by 3 far superior teams, its that simple

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

i imagine he curled his lip,nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Downlinz wrote: »
    The core of their team is Bayern, Werder Bremen, Stuttgart, Schalke and Besiktas. They are considerably better clubs than Stoke, West Brom, Norwich and Wigan.
    They have 2 players who were in the CL knockouts this season, we had zero who played at any level of Europe this season in our squad.
    All their players play in the top tier of their leagues, we have several playing in the championship.

Even if Brady fluffed his explanation it doesn't make it incorrect, believing it is absurd to lose to the "likes of" Austria is ridiculous arrogance and completely unfounded. We got a draw against a superior team tonight, Alaba will probably turn into a player better than anyone we've had in our history if he's not there already. Bit of perspective.

Im saying its "absurd" to be content with a draw at home playing Austria. If your happy with that then fine.

And while Alaba is a quality player, to say he will probably turn into a better player than anyone we've had in our history well, you need a small dose of the calm downs there.

Ardent wrote: »
    Whatever about anything else, I think this is a pathetic stick to beat the manager with. He's a 74 year old man ffs, give him a break.

Why is he on a reported figure between €1.5m and €2m a year and still in the job so? Tell me that?

Do any of the pro Trap brigade actually watch soccer i wonder? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

The only positive from tonight is that the pressure will remain on Trap.

We looked good at times, especially the first half. But it was the same old story in the second half. We just couldn't kill the game off and then allowed them to come at us, not surprisingly we were punished. That second half reminded me of the Bulgaria game a few of years back. Nothing seems to have changed.

• Advertisement

What the hell...

We might as well not have shown up then ya?

No shame in getting beat by 3 top sides. Its another thing to be so outclassed that Faroe Islands would of put up better performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

What the hell...

Come on man, we could have done better than we did at the Euros. We were embarrassed. If the younger players like McCarthy and Coleman were blooded into the team we might have been able to play some football and given a much better account of ourselves.

He never laughs. Maybe if he did once in a while he'd be a half decent manager instead of a grump who gets on with no one and continously tries to bully people into submission. Even Manchester United who once idiolised him have washed their hands of him and Notts Forest who gave him a break in football didnt bother with him.
    A failure at Sunderland and a failure at Ipswich and all his expertise about team preparation in Saipan :rolleyes: Having all these ideas is not worth jack if he has no people skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Dempsey wrote: »
    That is a completely unbiased assessment, can I subscribe to your newsletter! :D

To be honest, the wholehearted defending of Trap is starting to feel a bit like this. Whatever about the merits of sacking him halfway through a qualifying campaign, he made bad, bad decisions tonight.

Dempsey wrote: »

€50 a month ;)

Sammon shouldn't be in the squad, let alone the starting 11. Pissed about that result. Austria were threatening and Long was looking a decent outlet for taking off pressure and he's taken off? For Green? The subs were made too late. And any manager at almost any level would have pulled out a player to sub to break up the game 90 mins +

Sammon had a great game tonight and ran his socks off and half the reason Long played so well is because Sammon complimented him so well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Thought the Austrian's found a lot of space when Long went off. Sammon was game but he didn't have the legs. Thought Doyle could have been brought on for him. He has a smart closing game and similarly to Long, he's a good target man. Sammon doesn't have the best first touch in the world, and doesnt seem to have the cuteness to draw fouls or use his body particularly well.

Walters was completely stranded when he went up front. He put in a decent shift up and down the right. Putting him up front when he was clearly bolloxed didn't make sense.

Even if we were going to press our way to a draw, it was feckin madness to go about the way we did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

token101 wrote: »
    To be honest, the wholehearted defending of Trap is starting to feel a bit like this. Whatever about the merits of sacking him halfway through a qualifying campaign, he made bad, bad decisions tonight.

Who said I was wholeheartedly defending Trap?? I've said all I needed to say about him long before tonight but that was a blinkered assessment of what had happened regardless of how you feel tonight.

Save your youtube video for someone else :rolleyes:
    €50 a month ;)

Do you take Western Union? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

The only Rio we will be seeing is Ferdinand and that ain't much better!

Downlinz wrote: »
    The most incredible thing is in the 90's Dunphy used to be the counter culture madman, we've turned him into the voice of popular opinion in 2013. The previous voice of logic Brady is now the indefensible madman.

Where did it all go wrong in Irish culture?

Brady is blinded by loyalty and tbh i hate the fact that Dunphy is in the 'Sack Trap' corner as it vindicates all the eejits who think he is doing a great job having that drunken ranter weigh in behind a reasonably logical argument for his dismissal

Seriously **** this **** of getting 4 points.

We need 6 Points. This **** of ****ing oh 4 points. We then need to rely on other teams doing us favours.

FFS a dead duck would know this.

What are you on about favours????

Sweden have to play Austria twice. It can only go a certain amount of ways. Either team gets 6 points, one team gets 4, both get 3, both get 2.......

Either which way points are being dropped by one side in those 2 games. We don't need favours, YET, that's just a simple mathematic thing that points will be dropped by 1 of those sides. That's not even mentioning i've seen stupider results in world football this qualification campaign than someone drawing away to the Kazahks.

Sure even the next game, if that Austria v Sweden game is a draw, we go clear 2nd with a win against the Faroes. If Sweden win, we go clear of Austria. If Austria win, we go clear of Sweden and we have them at ours next, and then Austria still have Sweden away and Germany away to come.

We don't need favours, yet, and we certainly don't NEED 6 points in september. Of course 6 points would be class but it's not a necessity.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement