Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Vs Austria - K/O 7:45PM - Sky Sports 2 & RTÉ 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

shayno90 wrote: »
    The only Rio we will be seeing is Ferdinand and that ain't much better!

The only carnival will be Duffy's circus :(

Dempsey wrote: »
    Who said I was wholeheartedly defending Trap?? I've said all I needed to say about him long before tonight but that was a blinkered assessment of what had happened regardless of how you feel tonight.

Save your youtube video for someone else :rolleyes:

Do you take Western Union?
    :D

Afraid not. Paypal and all major credit cards accepted though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Could be wrong and might even have the wrong player. But in the build up to the goal did Walters leave Alaba go while putting his hands up looking for the whistle. Didn't see the replay turned off the tv in disgust so could be wrong.

Never mind just looked at the replay he had the hands up but he was behind Alaba nobody was near him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

ColeTrain wrote: »
    That second half reminded me of the Bulgaria game a few of years back. Nothing seems to have changed.

Its been the same old story for at least the last 15 years with the national team.
    As soon as we go a goal up we drop deep and try to hang on for dear life.

If Ireland scored against a team in the 2nd minute they would drop deep and try to hold on .
    It doesn't matter if that team are vastly inferior or superior ,its always the same .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

What are you on about favours????

Sweden have to play Austria twice. It can only go a certain amount of ways. Either team gets 6 points, one team gets 4, both get 3, both get 2.......

Either which way points are being dropped by one side in those 2 games. We don't need favours, YET, that's just a simple mathematic thing that points will be dropped by 1 of those sides. That's not even mentioning i've seen stupider results in world football this qualification campaign than someone drawing away to the Kazahks.

Sure even the next game, if that Austria v Sweden game is a draw, we go clear 2nd with a win against the Faroes. If Sweden win, we go clear of Austria. If Austria win, we go clear of Sweden and we have them at ours next, and then Austria still have Sweden away and Germany away to come.

We don't need favours, yet, and we certainly don't NEED 6 points in september. Of course 6 points would be class but it's not a necessity.

I've got a better idea, take 3 points on occasions where they are readily available, like tonight for instance.

Also, did anyone else think the ref had a ****ing shocker? I thought he was rubbish. Austria should have had one player off for a second yellow. Loads of little marginal calls went their way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

shayno90 wrote: »
    The only Rio we will be seeing is Ferdinand and that ain't much better!

The only Brazil will be of the nut kind.

This is great craic! Who's next?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Have Chelsea not shown us that having zero faith in the manager has a negative effect on the team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

It's only a whimsical notion
    To fly down to Rio tonight,
    And I probably won't fly down to Rio,
    But then again, I just might.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What are you on about favours????

Sweden have to play Austria twice. It can only go a certain amount of ways. Either team gets 6 points, one team gets 4, both get 3, both get 2.......

Either which way points are being dropped by one side in those 2 games. We don't need favours, YET, that's just a simple mathematic thing that points will be dropped by 1 of those sides. That's not even mentioning i've seen stupider results in world football this qualification campaign than someone drawing away to the Kazahks.

Sure even the next game, if that Austria v Sweden game is a draw, we go clear 2nd with a win against the Faroes. If Sweden win, we go clear of Austria. If Austria win, we go clear of Sweden and we have them at ours next, and then Austria still have Sweden away and Germany away to come.

We don't need favours, yet, and we certainly don't NEED 6 points in september. Of course 6 points would be class but it's not a necessity.

Man I admire your optimism, but quite frankly we have better chance of seeing Jesus walk on water down the Liffey, in his boxers, after a right lash in Temple Bar, then Ireland getting all the results they need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Football fans never happy. I've sat here for the last 30 mins listening to Talksport radio and in that period i've heard the following:

Hodgson should go. He's clueless, tactically inept and should have brought on a midfielder when they were being over-run 2nd half (sounds familiar).

Coleman should go. That he's tactically inept and can't bring Wales forward.

Strachan wrong man for job and a motivational coach is not what Scotland needs.

England are crap and won't qualify.

Wales are crap aside from Bale.

Scotland crap.

Look there may be sense in some of the above but caller after caller slating their teams and managers.

What's it coming to when every bad result someone has to go. Warped. We just need to accept that the British and Irish sides have been caught and surpassed by a lot of European sides in the past 30 years and get a bit of perspective on all this.

Ireland can still qualify from a relatively tricky group. More that can be said for Wales and Scotland, and England aren't doing too clever in a pudding group (for them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nothing to suggest that we can't beat Sweden after the performance on Saturday...
    Essien wrote: »
    Being honest, I've not been impressed with either Austria or Sweden and I think we've got the ability to run them very close.

Remind me, how many shots on goal did we have on Friday night?

Traps reign has had one lasting effect on this group of players, they have never had the freedom to attack teams, and at this point you have to be concerned how long it will take that to change.

We are never, never, going to take points of top teams or win games at the finals of a Euro/World cup, simply because Trap has built a team that can only play defensive. We simply wont score the goals that will allow us to beat the top teams, hence the fact that I dont believe Traps team has ever beaten a side ranked higher in a competitive match.

Forget results, Trap is destroying this group of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Where the fcuk are people getting this idea we need 6 points in September????????

Our Rivals Fixtures:

Sweden

Austria (A)
    Faeroes (H)
    Ireland (A)
    Kaz (A)
    Austria (H)
    Germany (H)

Austria

Sweden (H)
    Germany (A)
    Ireland (H)
    Sweden (A)
    Faeroes (H)

We could easily, easily find 4 points vs Sweden & Austria being enough to finish 2nd. There's all sorts of scenarios where opponents drop points and a win/draw combo in September is enough.

Whatever happens asking the manager should he resign when we are in this position is absolute bonkers sensationalist drivel.

Lads, throw away the speedos, we ain't going to the World Cup Party in Brazil next summer.

I think that Chippy Brady didn't realise that Sweden still have a game in hand against the Austrians. Sweden will probably win, which will put them 3 points clear in second place. If Austria win that match, then they will be in the driving seat for the paly off spot.

Basically, all this means that even if we get 6 points against Sweden & Austria in September, we will still be 3 points behind the second place team. And getting 6 points is a big IF. Most likely, we'll get 2 points in September, although 4 points is a possibility if we play exceptionally well over the two games.

Face it lads, we ain't going to Brazil and tonight was a knok out blow! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

FIFA World football Rankings,

Ireland : 40th
    Austria : 79th

Have Chelsea not shown us that having zero faith in the manager has a negative effect on the team...

Having a manager who consistently imposes his negative effect on the team also has a negative effect on the team.

Essien wrote: »
    I've got a better idea, take 3 points on occasions where they are readily available, like tonight for instance.

of course....but we didnt, we move on. this group has a lot of legs in it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Spain: 1st
    Finland: 87th

OMG etc.

But this is the match thread, a place to express our opinions on the match.:confused: Also, I've already said that I think we have the ability to at least get close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No it would be a circus. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

So what?

A statistical assessment of past result means little. It doesnt take into account alot of factors going into a match, you'd be better off looking at bookie odds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Football fans never happy. I've sat here for the last 30 mins listening to Talksport radio and in that period i've heard the following:

Hodgson should go. He's clueless, tactically inept and should have brought on a midfielder when they were being over-run 2nd half (sounds familiar).

Coleman should go. That he's tactically inept and can't bring Wales forward.

Strachan wrong man for job and a motivational coach is not what Scotland needs.

England are crap and won't qualify.

Wales are crap aside from Bale.

Scotland crap.

Look there may be sense in some of the above but caller after caller slating their teams and managers.

What's it coming to when every bad result someone has to go. Warped. We just need to accept that the British and Irish sides have been caught and surpassed by a lot of European sides in the past 30 years and get a bit of perspective on all this.

Ireland can still qualify from a relatively tricky group. More that can be said for Wales and Scotland, and England aren't doing too clever in a pudding group (for them).
    British, and by association Irish, football is getting further behind European football each and every year.

We have not changed how we play the game, where others have.

I played football with guys from work today, and we are pretty sh1t. But when each and every player got the ball, they tried to find a team mate. Thats logic from guys who ae rubbish. How come professional footballers playing in "the best league in the world" so often choose to lump the ball as high and as far as possible simply to get rid?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Does anyone know what Austrian tv station showed the game? Would be appreciated!

Lads, throw away the speedos, we ain't going to the World Cup Party in Brazil next summer.

I think that Chippy Brady didn't realise that Sweden still have a game in hand against the Austrians. Sweden will probably win, which will put them 3 points clear in second place. If Austria win that match, then they will be in the driving seat for the paly off spot.

Basically, all this means that even if we get 6 points against Sweden & Austria in September, we will still be 3 points behind the second place team. And getting 6 points is a big IF. Most likely, we'll get 2 points in September, although 4 points is a possibility if we play exceptionally well over the two games.

Face it lads, we ain't going to Brazil and tonight was a knok out blow! :(
    or they could draw both games or who knows beat each other or whatever. People expected us to get nothing in Sweden.

Even if Austria win at home to Sweden, they have Germany away to come, Sweden away and us at home.

Let's just wait and see how it unfolds instead of giving the points to 1 team or other.

Are you arithmetically challenged?

Please see my post above... We're goosed! We're not gonna qualify!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

After those 2 games, this sums it up:

Could have had 6, should have had 4, 2 is just not good enough.

Too Negative in Sweden which I said after that game, they were there for the taking that night if we'd shown any ambition.
    We drew tonight to poor decisions by Trappatoni. I was happy when Green came on, even though it was for Long, thinking grand, 3 in midfield, just plug it for the next 5 minutes, it was too late to try retain possession again, but then to see Green go wide and Walters up front, it was ludicrous, and it cost us in the end.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    No it would be a circus. :p

circus with a carnival atmosphere i'm led to believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    The only Brazil will be of the nut kind.

This is great craic! Who's next?

Oh me me. Eh the only World cup will be the one in Brazil that we wont be taking part in.

Oh wait, thats crap let me go again. The only good thing Ireland can feel about Brazil now is there independence from the tyranny of petroleum and seemingly economic stability and emergence as a thriving nation.

Right. I'm sh*t at this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

It has always been in our sporting DNA to be reactive rather than proactive. Sadly, Traps defensive philosophy only escalates the problem!

Basically, all this means that even if we get 6 points against Sweden & Austria in September, we will still be 3 points behind the second place team. (

How do you work that out ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Dempsey wrote: »
    So what?

A statistical assessment of past result means little. It doesnt take into account alot of factors going into a match, you'd be better off looking at bookie odds

Ireland were as low as 2.05, Austria 3.25,

So What? A team 39 places higher in the world rankings ahead shouldn't be playing that poorly at home to them for a full 30 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Renn wrote: »
    Spain: 1st
    Finland: 87th

OMG etc.

Del Bosque out etc..... :pac:

NIMAN wrote: »
    British, and by association Irish, football is getting further behind European football each and every year.

We have not changed how we play the game, where others have.

I played football with guys from work today, and we are pretty sh1t. But when each and every player got the ball, they tried to find a team mate. Thats logic from guys who ae rubbish. How come professional footballers playing in "the best league in the world" so often choose to lump the ball as high and as far as possible simply to get rid?

Professional footballers are capable of moving into space & communicating that they are available for a pass without drawing markers, have exceptional control and able to pass 10 yards under pressure. Your mates probably filled the togs at the first sign of pressing.

As for the best league in the world, lol, half the clubs aren't good enough, i.e. dont have the players, or manager doesnt want to play the ball on the deck.

You you need certain players to play certain tactics but Trap has consistently ignored the players that can do the job required and when his 'sit in' tactics continually blow up in his face, he shows no intention of sorting it out. Epic fail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Didn't deserve to go in ahead at HT but.after all the hard work we deserved to win I think. Heartbreaking draw but overall I'm proud of the lads, I can't moan at all about that performance, we were so unlucky.

Are you arithmetically challenged?

Please see my post above... We're goosed! We're not gonna qualify!

so tell me this cast iron sequence of results from your crystal ball that shows we WON'T qualify?

Your post assumed very matter of factly sweden will take 6 points from Austria.......that's a big leap of faith on Sweden.

We won't be relying on anybody elses results in the next game. We beat the Faroes and whatever happens Austria v Sweden we pull clear of 1 or both of them. If they draw we pull clear of both. If one wins, we pull clear of the other.

By the end of the next round of games we will be in a better position in the group than it is now. Take it 1 round at a time. The only certainty right now is we need at least 1 win against Sweden/Austria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Liam O wrote: »
    Didn't deserve to go in ahead at HT but.after all the hard work we deserved to win I think

I don't know how anyone could think we deserved to win tbh dude... hard work or not.

Austria deserved their draw and were the better footballing team.

Sammon, Whelan and Clarke aside the team played ok. Just a mixture of not being good enough in certain areas and some poor management decisions cost us.

Liam O wrote: »
    Didn't deserve to go in ahead at HT but.after all the hard work we deserved to win I think. Heartbreaking draw but overall I'm proud of the lads, I can't moan at all about that performance, we were so unlucky.

They had plenty of chances in the second half. Yeah it was cruel to lose a goal with a minute left but saying we were unlucky is stretching it.

so tell me this cast iron sequence of results from your crystal ball that shows we WON'T qualify?

Your post assumed very matter of factly sweden will take 6 points from Austria.......that's a big leap of faith on Sweden.

I think his post assumed Sweden would take 9 points from Austria ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

We might as well not have shown up then ya?

No shame in getting beat by 3 top sides. Its another thing to be so outclassed that Faroe Islands would of put up better performances.
    just going back to this, the results were a let down, but we went up against the two finalists & while we did get hidings, given let in several quite poor ones, that I reckon if he had been on form, the defeats wouldnt have been anywhere near as comprehensive, we also conceded at awful times.

I would never ever wish Ireland bad, but the problem is, even IF we did qualify for the WC etc, I just think it would be such an anti climax, before when Ireland qualified you knew anything could happen and they would give any team a damn good game...
    Another thing that pissed me off when Trap said "But we are not Brazil,Germany or England
    how are england held in this regard, they were up there with spain until recently as possibly the biggest underachievers in football and I cant see that changing any time soon!!!

Ireland were as low as 2.05, Austria 3.25,

So What? A team 39 places higher in the world rankings ahead shouldn't be playing that poorly at home to them for a full 30 minutes.

Surprised at those odds tbh, where are you getting those?

A team 39 places ahead yet the rank is based on previous results that included a much better squad of players, didnt factor in current injuries etc. The FIFA ranking are largely flawed in their assessment of international football and thats been the way for a long time.

How do you work that out ?

Look, this is most likely what will happen:

Sweden will beat Austria in their spare game. They are therefore 3 points up with a much better goal difference than us. Even if we beat them in September we will still be behind on goal difference.

Basically, we need Austria & Sweden to draw with each other. Then we need to beat Austria away and Sweden @ home in September. Then we need to either draw or beat Germany away to make up for our dimsal goal deficit. If, by some miracle, all that happens, then we're in with a shout for a play-off place.

But, chances are it won't happen. I simply cannot see us getting a result in Germany. Most likely, Sweden will take the play-off spot, and Ireland will slog it out with Austria for third place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Just back.

Recovered well from an early setback.

Fully deserved lead at halftime.

Complete disaster from 70 minutes onwards.

Defended Trap in the past but sit and hope did not work this time. The one change he made was a travesty, fair enough don't bring Wes on, fair enough bring Green on to see it out, but taking off Long (our best player by an absolute mile) and not Sammon who was absolutely knackered was an absolutely apalling decision.

The team was on its feet, getting dominated and Trap left two pairs of fresh legs on the bench.

I also can't see us getting the necessary for a second place finish. Disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

murpho999 wrote: »
    How would Long have stopped that goal?

Did anyone say he would have? The point people were making is that taking him off was just inviting Austria onto us more. And you know that.

Eh we are hard to beat..

Not sure if Croatia, Spain, Italy and Germany would agree with you there...
    FutureGuy wrote: »

So with a lead to defend against a fitter, more technical side, people scream for attacking options. That's when our midfield is being overrun.

But no lets all take the easy option an fcuk the manager out of it. The only thing I was critical of was that the third sub was not ready to come on to waste time.

Please lads, none of ye go into management.

I blame Championship manager.
    Who on here screamed for attacking options. Have a look back through the thread and let us know. Several people called for Hoolahan for Sammon, which, if anything, is a defensive change but more importantly Hoolahan is someone who can put his foot on the ball and find a pass and calm the whole situation.

Look, this is most likely what will happen:

Sweden will beat Austria in their spare game. They are therefore 3 points up with a much better goal difference than us. Even if we beat them in September we will still be behind on goal difference.

Basically, we need Austria & Sweden to draw with each other. Then we need to beat Austria away and Sweden @ home in September. Then we need to either draw or beat Germany away to make up for our dimsal goal deficit. If, by some miracle, all that happens, then we're in with a shout for a play-off place.

But, chances are it won't happen. I simply cannot see us getting a result in Germany. Most likely, Sweden will take the play-off spot, and Ireland will slog it out with Austria for third place.
    This is a load of absolute bollix!!!!!

Swedens "spare game" is Austria away. They may win, they may lose, they may draw. If they do win, we need to beat them at home. Even then they still have Germany and Austria to come at the Friends Arena which has by no means proved a fortress. If they lose, Austria stay level with us in 2nd place, a better goal difference but us to come at home, Germany away and Sweden away. If they draw we move ahead of both of them and then 4 points in September will look big.

There are so many scenarios and permutations and we are by no means relying on teams to do us a favour. YET. It's not as if we need the poxy Faroes to beat Austria or Sweden.

We may end up in a situation where the very final game, we need to beat Kazak at home and hope for a certain result in the Sweden v Austria game. Or we may have it in our own hands.

noodler wrote: »
    Just back.

Recovered well from an early setback.

Fully deserved lead at halftime.

Complete disaster from 70 minutes onwards.

Defended Trap in the past but sit and hope did not work this time. The one change he made was a travesty, fair enough don't bring Wes on, fair enough bring Green on to see it out, but taking off Long (our best player by an absolute mile) and not Sammon who was absolutely knackered was an absolutely apalling decision.

The team was on its feet, getting dominated and Trap left two pairs of fresh legs on the bench.

I also can't see us getting the necessary for a second place finish. Disaster.

Sledge came on for Clark aswell but I'd agree that completely was Sammon was knackered and needed to be replaced. Green getting on wasnt an issue for me tbh, even Long getting taken off can be argued as not a bad thing but leaving a knackered lone CF was the real crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Swedens "spare game" is Austria away. They may win, they may lose, they may draw. If they do win, we need to beat them at home. Even then they still have Germany and Austria to come at the Friends Arena which has by no means proved a fortress. If they lose, Austria stay level with us in 2nd place, a better goal difference but us to come at home, Germany away and Sweden away. If they draw we move ahead of both of them and then 4 points in September will look big.

There are so many scenarios and permutations and we are by no means relying on teams to do us a favour. YET. It's not as if we need the poxy Faroes to beat Austria or Sweden.

We may end up in a situation where the very final game, we need to beat Kazak at home and hope for a certain result in the Sweden v Austria game. Or we may have it in our own hands.

We're Ireland of course we'll end up relying on other teams doing us a favour! Anyway, anyone for a cup of tea?

We won't. It pains me to say it, but we ain't going to the World Cup. Sweden have a game in hand... we'll beat the Faroes, draw away to Austria, then either lose or draw to Sweden at home... by which stage we will be well and truly out!

I wonder how many people will turn up to the last home match against Kazakstan when we are mathemativally out? :D

So Uefa have gone back to using goal difference to separate teams that finish equal on points .
    You just have to laugh at how they keep moving the goalposts .
    Will be lots of suitcases full of cash circulating towards the end of qualifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

So Uefa have gone back to using goal difference to separate teams that finish equal on points .
    You just have to laugh at how they keep moving the goalposts .

are u f&cking serious - they really are scum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

When we are already relying on results to qualify with 5 games to go, that's curtains for us I'm afraid.
    Simply put if we can't qualify on our own merit by winning the crucial matches like tonight for example we don't deserve to qualify.
    Trap's system suits playing away from home, nicking a goal, give the other team possession and defend for your lives.
    Despite our players playing in the lower leagues and for weaker teams in the Premier league plus having no world class players, we can still compete with a more balanced defensive-counter attacking system which allows us to keep possession.
    Another very frustrating and disappointing evening for Irish football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

That end of match interview was something else. Never seen the likes of it on RTE and was surprised with some of the suggestions and questions.

Thought it was highly reactive and results-based thinking.

The question about him resigning was preposterous.

I think Trappatoni was right to be indignant and to remind us that we are no world beaters.

Lets be honest with ourselves - on paper our squad would struggle to stay in the Premiership/get out of the Championship. That is the level we are talking about. A yoyoing Premier League/Championship side at best imo.

All in all I thought we played alright tonight.

I hope Long starts every game from here on in. He was fantastic, looked a cut above and you could tell he was our only player starting regularly in a top 10 Premier League side.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement