Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Vs Austria - K/O 7:45PM - Sky Sports 2 & RTÉ 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

gosplan wrote: »
    Did we switch to an out and out 4-5-1 the other night when Hoolahan came on or did Walters go up top or what?

The only reason I can think not to go 4-5-1 is that we're not used to it.

In terms of player quality, it's the only thing that makes sense.

Yes. Hoolahan was buzzing around any irish player who had the ball. Looked for the pass. one touch. look. pass etc etc i.e good midfield play.
    Walters stayed on the wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Austria have a great chance of finishing second in the group. While a win here is a must for us, I don't think that will necessarily materialise. Our defense is too weak through the centre and we don't seem to have the options in attack to outscore them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I have no idea what Trap sees in him.

likes using text messages apparently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

BBC are saying that Green will be dropped to accommodate Whelan coming back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

awesome stuff.

please be true.

this is if Whelan has to come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

If Whelan comes back in he'll probably push Walters up top and put Green on the wing to bamboozle the Austrians with his pace and guile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

From RTE sport,
    ohn O'Shea has warned his team-mates they cannot afford to risk their chances of World Cup qualification by losing their heads against Austria.

Ireland will face the Austrians in Dublin tomorrow evening knowing victory would leave them in second place in Group C behind leaders and likely group winners Germany.

However, O'Shea is equally aware that all the hard work which secured a 0-0 draw in Sweden on Friday would be wasted if they launched an all-out assault and forgot about their defensive responsibilities.

The 31-year-old said: "If we can start on the front foot, like we did against Sweden, and have the pressing, cohesive unit that we had the other night and stop Austria playing, then we can build our attacks from there.

"But let's wait and see how they decide to approach the game as well.

"It will be on us as the home side, but we are not going to be too silly and go gung-ho because they have got lots of attacking threats."

It's talk like this that makes me fear a Slovakia pt. II.

the team, officially...
    Daniel McDonnell ‏@McDonnellDan

Forde, Coleman, O'Shea, Clark, Wilson [injury doubt with groin]; Walters, Whelan, McCarthy, McClean; Long, Sammon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Sammon and Whelan it is then...hmmmm.
    emmet malone ‏@emmetmalone 52s
    Conor Sammon starts in place of Keane tomorrow. Whelan in for Green is the only other change. Clark a doubt with groin. Kelly stands by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That team makes me a sad panda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Sammon? :confused: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Connor Sammon, prolific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

**** off Trappatoni. **** OFF. Joke shop. Absolute ****ing joke. This will be Slovakia all over again. ****sake.

Bertser wrote: »
    Connor Sammon, prolific.

to be fair, none of our other strikers are prolific.

Doyle hasn't been scoring freely, though i'd always give him a spot over Sammon, purely on experience.

the only other option was to go 451 one from the start with Hoolahan behind Long, and that was always a long shot with Trap.

just be thankful it's not Whelan and Green in the centre; so i give some kudos to Trap for recognising how well McCarthy played and reacting correctly by giving him this start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I can't say I've seen a huge amount of him but Sammon looks like an awful footballer, and is also quite a risky selection, as he is essentially untested at this level. Doyle, Walters or Hoolahan would have made a lot more sense.

I also don't think Green deserved to be dropped. Ironically enough dropping Paul Green and picking a new striker who is unproven at international level are now the main criticisms that can be labelled at Trap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Thank fcuk at least McCarthy starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Walters shouldn't start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Trap sure knows how to kill a buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

SlickRic wrote: »
    to be fair, none of our other strikers are prolific.

Doyle hasn't been scoring freely, though i'd always give him a spot over Sammon, purely on experience.

the only other option was to go 451 one from the start with Hoolahan behind Long, and that was always a long shot with Trap.

just be thankful it's not Whelan and Green in the centre; so i give some kudos to Trap for recognising how well McCarthy played and reacting correctly by giving him this start.

Sarcasm, he's brutal, rarely scores and doesn't deserve to be playing at the level he's at. Wish it was Hoolahan in behind instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Who is injured?

Clark or Wilson?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Yeah, I think Whelan is more of a liability than Green. Don't get it.

Sammon... You lose Keane, so you replace him with... Sammon. I don't get it. Any of it. What is Trap's big fear with playing Hoolahan? :(

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    What is Trap's big fear with playing Hoolahan? :(

Trap is safety first.

for the majority of his tenure, the tactic has been to hoof it clear, see if you can nick a goal, but if not, at least hoofing it clear gives the defense and midfield a chance to get in position for the next attack at us.

the fear of Hoolahan is that he plays too much football i'd imagine. he keeps the ball in the final third, and is likely to try something. if that something doesn't come off, Trap thinks we could be caught on the counter.

Hoolahan also doesn't fit nicely in his preferred 442 formation.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Jesus Christ Trap is not doing himself any favours. Sammon is a completely mental pick. I'd have kept Green over Whelan myself. Whelan is rubbish at defending and rubbish on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Most (including myself) were critical of Green even making the team last Friday, but it worked out fairly well.

Once again this latest team appears to be another step in the wrong direction. However. I'll reserve judgement this time.

Even after Friday I wasn't exactly wild about our chances of winning tomorrow anyway, regardless of who was selected. So maybe this surprising line-up will somehow do the business.

also, RE: Hoolahan, from Trap himself a minute ago...paraphrasing here...
    It will be important to choose the right time to put Hoolahan into the game. I prefer to bring him on fresh when others are tired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

also, RE: Hoolahan, from Trap himself a minute ago...paraphrasing here...

When we're either a goal down or camped on our own 18. This will be Slovakia all over again unless something amazing happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

In fairness lads, from what I saw of Keane on Friday, he didn't do much. Put in a cross, and missed a chance. He didnt put a huge stamp on the game.
    If the players play as well as they did on Friday, it won't make a difference if we had Keane or Sammon tbh.

Either way, we'll win this.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    In fairness lads, from what I saw of Keane on Friday, he didn't do much. Put in a cross, and missed a chance. He didnt put a huge stamp on the game.
    If the players play as well as they did on Friday, it won't make a difference if we had Keane or Sammon tbh.

Either way, we'll win this.

Robbie made two really clever runs. First time control let him down. 2nd time he delayed playing the ball across the goal first time. He disappointed both times but Sammon won't come close to getting in those positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Walters out wide :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Green unlucky to have lost his place, I have been critical of him in the past but he did what was asked of him, and did it well against Sweden. I just hope Whelan is 100%.

Like others I'd rather see Hoolahan play ahead of Sammon, also when Trap says it is important to use him when the time is right, I hope he gets more than 15mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Robbie made two really clever runs. First time control let him down. 2nd time he delayed playing the ball across the goal first time. He disappointed both times but Sammon won't come close to getting in those positions.

I don't know if you're on about the same one where the defence were on the way out and he was on the way in then had that claaaassy first touch on the outside of his right boot while running?? I know he didn't take it under control but it was some ridiculous first touch hahah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

SantryRed wrote: »
    **** off Trappatoni. **** OFF. Joke shop. Absolute ****ing joke. This will be Slovakia all over again. ****sake.

wait for luckyloyd to come in and tell us how we dont have the players and that sammon represents the typical irish footballer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You are a bundle of contradictions.

Should he play in front of Hoolahan?

Yes, we don't play 4 - 5 - 1 and Hoolahan isn't a striker as far as I'm aware.

the team, officially...

Happy enough with that side.

Whelan in for Green makes sense
    Sammon in for Keane makes sense if you decide you want to keep Walters out wide as a physical workhorse infront of Coleman

Hyperbolic reaction on here as expected - Hoolahan was never going to be selected as we don't play 4 - 5 - 1.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    wait for luckyloyd to come in and tell us how we dont have the players and that sammon represents the typical irish footballer

Sammon will give Long something to work off and will put in a shift. If the manager was intent on playing a 4 - 4 - 2 then his selection really isn't all that surprising in the absence of Keane.

Really hoping Wilson makes it - thought he was great on Friday and gave Clark a much needed dig out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Walters plays wide regularly for Stoke, albeit in a different formation.

I do think Brady - Coleman wing is a little light and I guess we still have the option later in the game.

Really surprised with Sammon to be honest - the only positive is that at set-pieces we should be extra formidable with Walters, O'Shea, Sammon, Long and Wilson/Clark.

EDIT: I share the above concerns about Wilson - I really hope he makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Sammon will give Long something to work off and will put in a shift. If the manager was intent on playing a 4 - 4 - 2 then his selection really isn't all that surprising in the absence of Keane.

Really hoping Wilson makes it - thought he was great on Friday and gave Clark a much needed dig out.

I actually agree with this. If your committed to playing 4-4-2 (which Trap has always been) then Sammon, being a big physical lad, is very much the type of player he covets.

Don't think that selection should surprise anyone. Anybody expecting Trap to be proactive and positive with his starting setup obviously has not been paying attention this 5 years or so. The day Ireland starts their most capable 11 is the day Trap is no longer in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Keane was operating behind the CF on Friday against the Swedes just like Hoolahan would. The only difference is that Hoolahan is better at the job.

Trap shouldn't be getting any credit for selecting McCarthy imo. It's like giving him credit for playing a goal keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Was hoping Hoolahan would make it, but not surprised with team.

Happy enough if honest. Glad Walters starts again.

You would not seen the work he did from TV but his effort and positioning was first class Fruday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Kind of gutted Wes Hoolahan didn't get the start. He's a really clever footballer and things happen when he is on the pitch.

Although if you swapped Wes for Sammon in that lineup then I would be 100% happy with it, and that just can't happen with Ireland, so fair enough.

briany wrote: »
    Don't think that selection should surprise anyone. Anybody expecting Trap to be proactive and positive with his starting setup obviously has not been paying attention this 5 years or so. The day Ireland starts their most capable 11 is the day Trap is no longer in charge.

Under Charlton it was about Whelan, O' Leary
    Under McCarthy there was Keane being played as a sweeper, debates over Mark Kennedy at times
    Under Kerr to Gary Doherty or not Gary Doherty was a point of contention
    Under Staunton there was the Finnan / Carr on opposite sides stuff

Times like the 2002 WC proper where the 11 picked itself at that snapshot in time are few and far between. There will always be disagreement over certain selections; always be some player out of the squad who people think should be in the mix; and always be people against the manager looking for every tiny excuse to complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'm gone beyond the point of even being annoyed when Trap makes a ridiculous selection at this stage. Connor Sammon, for Christ's sake!

jive wrote: »
    I don't know if you're on about the same one where the defence were on the way out and he was on the way in then had that claaaassy first touch on the outside of his right boot while running?? I know he didn't take it under control but it was some ridiculous first touch hahah

Yeah that first touch was pretty sexy, not sure if it was the pitch or just himself that caused him to lose control of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

While not surprised by the inclusion of Sammon, i am disappointed by the selection. My preferred choice would have been to see Weso play in behind Long. As mentioned above by other posters, Trap has played before with a striker playing a deeper role before. Keane for one has played that and i'm very sure that Trap had mentioned that before when selecting Cox to replace Keane in the first 11(that he had the ability to play between the midfield and top man). So while it does stray slightly away from his preferred 442 set up, it is not new to Trap.

My second choice would have been to play Walters up beside Long if he was fit, which he would seem to be. Walters can do all Sammon would do and more in that role. I understood his selection on Friday to give more cover to Coleman. However, we are now at home and while you can't deny the effort Walters put in out there, he was pretty ineffective offensively. Personally i would deploy Coleman wide right and bring in Kelly at full back. Everyone knows Coleman's effectiveness in the oppositions half but would also provide the defense cover needed.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Keane was operating behind the CF on Friday against the Swedes just like Hoolahan would. The only difference is that Hoolahan is better at the job.

Trap shouldn't be getting any credit for selecting McCarthy imo. It's like giving him credit for playing a goal keeper.

I agree except that this is Trap we're talking about. We're long since used to being pathetically glad about any positve selection.

He shouldn't have to be told, we shouldn't have to be glad. Thank god he couldn't ignore the large body of evidence amassed on Friday that starting McCarthy is a good thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

My problem doesn't lie with the system, my problem lies with Conor Sammon.

He is nowhere near international standard, and it's a crazy choice to have him in the squad, never mind playing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Although if you swapped Wes for Sammon in that lineup then I would be 100% happy with it, and that just can't happen with Ireland, so fair enough.

exactly, with the exception of Sammon, the team is pretty spot on, lets not forget we have alot of injuries and the only player who is not otherwise available for selection is Gibson.

Brady or Hoolhan for Sammon would be the ideal scenario, but maybe trap wants an aerial presence for the first part of the game anyway.

its not the doomsday scenario people are proclaiming, lets get behind the team and support them.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    My problem doesn't lie with the system, my problem lies with Conor Sammon.

He is nowhere near international standard, and it's a crazy choice to have him in the squad, never mind playing!

It's all relative though, isn't it?

Keane
    Long
    Walters

---

Doyle?
    Sammon?
    Best?
    Keogh?

What strikers am I forgetting about here? There are a few players in our squad who aren't International standard in absolute terms but when you weight things from best available and then on down it becomes hard to not include all of them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Happy with the team. One gripe is the return of Whelan in place of Green. Not only is he returning from a slight injury, Green showed he has the legs to protect the back four better than Whelan.

Obviously Whelan brings a few more dimensions from free kicks or long range shots but still not sure about that call.

The big-little man combination has served Ireland well down the years. Cascarino-Aldridge, Quinn-Keane, etc. I've no problem with Sammon-Long. It gives an extra option if we choose to go direct. That's not saying we hoof it up to Sammon non-stop, but it adds a focal point to the play if we choose that option wisely.

Playing Hoolahan from the start would be slightly negative, in the sense it would be more of a 4-5-1 and rely on us to play through the middle, negating the clear quality in our wide positions. Fully expecting Coleman, McClean and Wilson to be attacking the flanks and balls into the middle for Sammon and Long.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement