Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Vs Austria - K/O 7:45PM - Sky Sports 2 & RTÉ 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭The Guardian

was hoolahan in temple bar last night?
    heard a rumour he was out but surely this is incorrect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Can't imagine he's that unprofessional - never heard of any issues with him on that front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

you must have heard wrong.....there were some hooligans in templebar though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I was disappointed to read that Trap is planning on playing Sammon up front tonight. I can understand his reasons for not playing Hoolahan so I don't have a problem with that. But surely Kevin Doyle is the better choice to play the role he wants Sammon to play. Both have a similar scoring record for their clubs this season, but surely Doyle's international experience should put him ahead in the pecking order. I certainly haven't been impressed with Sammon's couple of appearances for us.

i thought it was Salmon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

you must have heard wrong.....there were some hooligans in templebar though.

Maybe even one called Wes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

i thought it was Salmon?

Salmon for Ireland!

mqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

i thought it was Salmon?

Sadly not so when he scores a header the "leaps like a Salmon" adage won't quite work. However the papers love a good pun so I'm sure they'll be happy.

Feed the fish and he...may hold it up and make a nuisance of himself. :)

Best of luck to him and the rest of the lads, fingers crossed. As an aside, not looking forward to how cold it's going to be!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Best of luck to him and the rest of the lads, fingers crossed. As an aside, not looking forward to how cold it's going to be!

sure turn the heating up a notch
    or throw an extra briquette in
    not rocket science man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Can't imagine he's that unprofessional - never heard of any issues with him on that front.
    Yeah he comes from a pretty rough area and normally you hear the odd story about players in the wrong crowd but never heard anything remotely bad about him on that front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Im hopeing if it is still 0-0 around 50mins that Trap has the cop on and balls to change it up before its too late.
    Usually hes not one for making changes till 75+mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

I would have put walters up front with long and played brady on the wing. Hoolahan to come on with half an hour to goif things need changing

I hope wilson makes it back four looked fine against sweden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Looking at the Austrian players, they look a strong, physical side. Don't think long balls will cut it tonight, so I hope Trap has another gameplan up his sleeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

TaosHum wrote: »
    Looking at the Austrian players, they look a strong, physical side. Don't think long balls will cut it tonight, so I hope Trap has another gameplan up his sleeve.

You're kidding right? :P

TaosHum wrote: »

Well it was still a good bit of long ball v Sweden and their back four wer big lads.... Itl be same game plan as always. Long kickouts and hope for a lucky break.
    Especially now Sammon is in the team.
    We are so easy to predict how we will set up and play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

i find it funny that ireland uses long ball, its not as if we have a team of giants or somthing. the team looks small, remember against croatia they seemed just so much more physical and stronger than us.

Walters and Salmon are big lads who know how to handle themselves

EdenHazard wrote: »
    i find it funny that ireland uses long ball, its not as if we have a team of giants or somthing. the team looks small, remember against croatia they seemed just so much more physical and stronger than us.

I cant stand the long ball tactic but in fairess to our frontmen eg, Long,Doyle,Walters,Cox, sammon for his height....
    They are all fairly good in the air and hold the ball up well to allow the wingers to come onto it.

Wont work every game tho....

Hope it does tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Jarrod wrote: »
    I thought the celebrating was over the top to be honest. I mean had that been a point in Germany or a win in Sweden then fair enough but a draw in a game that in all honesty we could have won isn't worth getting that excited about.

As for your second paragraph, it's nonsense. Having seen plenty of Conor Sammon I can tell you that he's not good enough to play for Ireland and at 26, probably never will be. I'm sure there's plenty of footballers who'd be 'buzzing' to play tomorrow night but if you're not good enough, I'm afriad you're just not good enough.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be right behind whatever 11 starts tomorrow night but I think we're putting ourselves at a disadvantage before a ball is kicked and we all know that if it's not working Trap will probably leave it late before changing anything.

Completely disagree. We got a point away at our main rival for second place (no disrespect to Austria) at a time when the media and most of the general public expected a heavy defeat.

I'd be celebrating in their position.

As for Sammon, I don't think it is a bad idea as most to start him. He's a big lag who will get about the place. Trap has stated why he feels he is starting and it makes sense to me.

Hoping for any sort of a win tonight. I actually this game could be made for a 20-min Houlihan appearance tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Guys, whats the weather like in the Dublin area. Just saw a forecast on RTE & it looked bad:eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I cant stand the long ball tactic but in fairess to our frontmen eg, Long,Doyle,Walters,Cox, sammon for his height....
    They are all fairly good in the air and hold the ball up well to allow the wingers to come onto it.

Wont work every game tho....

Hope it does tonight.

Yeah but what I'm saying is people(on here I'd imagine) would see us as a 'physical team' but we aren't really. Were physical in the sense our game is about running constantly chasing the ball but its not as if we are long ball in the Stoke City sense.

tis snowing heavy here
    bring extra socks
    leave the inflatable hammer at home for this one

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Guys, whats the weather like in the Dublin area. Just saw a forecast on RTE & it looked bad:eek:.

Snowing in Maynooth, as it was in Dublin this morning. Isn't sticking though so should be fine.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Croatia destroyed us in the air, all 3 of their goals were bread and butter aerial balls that we didnt defend.

• Advertisement

sure turn the heating up a notch
    or throw an extra briquette in
    not rocket science man

:confused:

There are seats in Landsdowe with a built in fire?

Much bigger lineup tonight:

Walters > McGeady
    McClean > Duff
    Sammon > Keane

Big strong and athletic lineup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

tis snowing heavy here
    bring extra socks
    leave the inflatable hammer at home for this one

Drat, hate leaving the hammer:D:D:D

i live close to the Stadium and its really heavy snowfall now :(

I guess but surely the Aviva has under soil heating?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Dont know but they've pull out heaters. No way the game will be off.

delaney has a bag of 20 cents and is feeding the meter as we speak
    the IRFU have headed off to lanzarote for the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

SantryRed wrote: »
    No
    Questions need to be asked about that imo.

What the fúck like, it's a 21st century stadium with 19th century facilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

anything other than a 2-nil victory and i'll be disappointed

austria is for skiing, no more, no less

It's comments like this which make you think what the hell.

Questions need to be asked about that imo.

What the fúck like, it's a 21st century stadium with 19th century facilities.

Why though? Both national teams never have fixtures scheduled during December and January and average temperatures and weather conditions during November, February and March are not usually going to prevent a fixture going ahead.

i doubt it has undersoil heating to be honest, the reality is that all things considered, it rarely would be needed.

Snow rarely falls in this country, especially outside December and January when the stadium is not used. its cleared off now pretty quickly so id say it will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Play the game regardless, if we dont get the result we want demand a replay like Costa Rica :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

the weather is grand, prefer the way It's been today to rain anyway, none of the snow has stuck to the ground and the Sun is out now.

any stadium without a retractable roof is a dump imo
    questions need to be answered

watching the nordies with their shovels and tractors on fri / sat was cringe
    i pinched myself at times, wondering if i was staring in a sequel to back to the future III, back to the future IV if you like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

1-0.

Ciaran Clark.

it's my prediction, and i'd be delighted with that victory.

analysis on whatever performance we put up is secondary. this is must-win.

any stadium without a retractable roof is a dump imo
    questions need to be answered

You're joking ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

Fai on twitter twicehave said tickets are still available from 3 different placea around dublin, must be a fare few still left

klose wrote: »
    Fai on twitter twicehave said tickets are still available from 3 different placea around dublin, must be a fare few still left

I don't think it will be full house. Guessing around 40-45000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I know ill be slated but I cant wait to watch them tonight without Robbie Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

SlickRic wrote: »
    1-0.

Ciaran Clark.

it's my prediction, and i'd be delighted with that victory.

analysis on whatever performance we put up is secondary. this is must-win.

This, it really is a situation where 3 points are a must, we have to win as may home games as we can between now and the end of the campaign to stand a chance of finishing 2nd.

klose wrote: »

of course there is, 52,000 tickets is a huge amount to sell off and the away support isnt that big... apart from the nations with the big populations, we will have one of the best attendances in Europe tonight which people always seem to ignore...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Raf32 wrote: »
    I know ill be slated but I cant wait to watch them tonight without Robbie Keane.

his past his best alright but will always be an irish legend...don't think there will ever be a better striker to wear an irish shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

my mate claims the past 2 nights he has dreamt that Austria have beaten us 3-1...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

nbar12 wrote: »
    my mate claims the past 2 nights he has dreamt that Austria have beaten us 3-1...

Probably having flashback to 1995 when it happened ..... twice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement