Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Vs Austria - K/O 7:45PM - Sky Sports 2 & RTÉ 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    No it's not.

Okay, points first, obviously and then goal difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

a snowflake hits the ground and melts and people think the game will be off :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

gustafo wrote: »
    his past his best alright but will always be an irish legend...don't think there will ever be a better striker to wear an irish shirt.

short selective memories is a very common trait for being an Irish football fan.

amazes me how much support Doyle got over a text message yet has only a fraction of the impact that Keane has had for this country. Keane on the other hand, seems to be hated by alot of Irish despite having the best scoring record in the history of our nation.

baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

roanoke wrote: »
    Probably having flashback to 1995 when it happened ..... twice.

I'll see your mates dream, and raise you one dream I had last night. 1-0 Long header from a Mclean corner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

roanoke wrote: »
    Probably having flashback to 1995 when it happened ..... twice.

Took Northern Ireland beating them 5-3 up at Windsor for us to get a chance at the Play-Off that time. The whole of Lansdowne was chanting "We Love you Northern Ireland, We Do" as we had lost 0-3 to Portugal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Duff wrote: »
    I'll see your mates dream, and raise you one dream I had last night. 1-0 Long header from a Mclean corner.

everyone knows that won't happen, sure Mclean can't even cross the ball for a corner...last play before half time in the Sweden match...:pac:

short selective memories is a very common trait for being an Irish football fan.

As are sweeping generalisations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

IMO we have to win our 4 remaining home games. Austria, Faroes, Sweden and Kazakhstan on the order we play them at home to get Play Off

10 points would be ok but we would have to win in Austria or Germany ( yikes) then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Jarrod wrote: »

nope its head to head results that come it.
    so lets ireland got a 0-0 draw against sweden last week but if sweden get a 1-1 draw against us and we end up on same points then sweden will be ahead of ireland in the table(i think)

amazes me how much support Doyle got over a text message yet has only a fraction of the impact that Keane has had for this country. Keane on the other hand, seems to be hated by alot of Irish despite having the best scoring record in the history of our nation.

baffling.

Spot On. I said in the Sweden thread, if Keane's 'finished', as many have said, then Long and Doyle haven't even started and in Doyle's case probably never will.

• Advertisement

markie29 wrote: »
    nope its head to head results that come it.
    so lets ireland got a 0-0 draw against sweden last week but if sweden get a 1-1 draw against us and we end up on same points then sweden will be ahead of ireland in the table(i think)

Nope, it's goal difference. I'll look for a link.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/01/47/38/17/regulationsfwcbrazil2014_en.pdf Page 25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

#

Nope, head to head comes before goal difference.

#

Nope, head to head comes before goal difference.

See the link in my previous post. Points, goal difference, goals scored and then head to head. In that order.

IMO we have to win our 4 remaining home games. Austria, Faroes, Sweden and Kazakhstan on the order we play them at home to get Play Off

10 points would be ok but we would have to win in Austria or Germany ( yikes) then.

Agree. Win every game at home, draw in Austria and we'll be fierce close to a playoff spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if we are to have a shot at qualifying, we must win every home game from now on in.

simple as.

there are no ifs, buts, ors, or anything.

we'd need a minor miracle to get 2nd if we don't.

See the link in my previous post. Points, goal difference, goals scored and then head to head. In that order.

I stand corrected, apologies. Seems like a poor change - always felt the head to head record was the most reasonable tiebreaker available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Augmerson wrote: »
    As are sweeping generalisations.

saying something is common, is not a generalisation. he does not have the full support of the Irish nation, neither does the manager.

are you honestly saying this is not true?

SlickRic wrote: »
    if we are to have a shot at qualifying, we must win every home game from now on in.

simple as.

there are no ifs, buts, ors, or anything.

we'd need a minor miracle to get 2nd if we don't.

Or just win in Vienna. Draw two at home and, yeah, we're goosed because we then would probably need a win in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Took Northern Ireland beating them 5-3 up at Windsor for us to get a chance at the Play-Off that time. The whole of Lansdowne was chanting "We Love you Northern Ireland, We Do" as we had lost 0-3 to Portugal.

That defeat was actually away in the Estadio de Luz. Ireland beat Portugal in Dublin thanks to an O.G.

Some group though, everyone was taking points off each other. That was the group that had the infamous 0-0 v. Lichtenstein (wasn't there a book written about it?!). Latvia chipped in to help the Irish cause by beating Austria as well.

I stand corrected, apologies. Seems like a poor change - always felt the head to head record was the most reasonable tiebreaker available.

No worries, it was only changed recently, I think it's better to be honest. It's a league format which is a test over a number of games rather than just between two teams and I think goal difference is a better indicator in that case. Also, I thought the way that away goals counted in head to head was nonsense given that the games weren't played as though they were knock out matches.

Anyway, probably slightly OT, so back to the matter at hand. COYBIG!

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    That defeat was actually away in the Estadio de Luz. Ireland beat Portugal in Dublin thanks to an O.G.

Some group though, everyone was taking points off each other. That was the group that had the infamous 0-0 v. Lichtenstein (wasn't there a book written about it?!). Latvia chipped in to help the Irish cause by beating Austria as well.

I remember watching that 0-0 game against Lichtenstein. Jesus. Aldridge scored with a handball, out of frustration I guess. I remember the park they played in looked like the one at the back of the fields in our estate.

#you'llneverbeatthelichtensteinians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

The headline writers had fun after that Latvia result:

Thanks a Lat!

Lat'll do Nicely!

We totally blew qualification down the stretch. A draw in either Austria game or a goal in Liechtenstein would probably have been enough to get us over the line and avoid a playoff. Even then, a once off playoff in Anfield should have been doable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I remember watching that 0-0 game against Lichtenstein. Jesus. Aldridge scored with a handball, out of frustration I guess. I remember the park they played in looked like the one at the back of the fields in our estate.

#you'llneverbeatthelichtensteinians

I won £2 in school then for predicting the scoreline correctly. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

gosplan wrote: »
    You can be very astute at times but do you really think there's no difference between club and international experience? You wouldn't be worried about fielding a team full of first caps as long as they had played a good bit for their club?

I would be worried about fielding a team of first caps yes, but for different and very obvious reasons.

Starting a quality player like Hoolahan who has been doing very well in the EPL for two years and is 30 years old is not something to worry about in the slightest in terms of experience.

All of Robbie Keane's international experience doesn't come close to making up the difference in their skill at playing that position.
    gosplan wrote: »
    Hang on a minute.

Am I correct in saying that people in this thread are now arguing that we don't play 4-4-2 but rather 4-4-1-1 with Robbie Keane in the Wes Hoolahan role, and that there's no real difference in playing Hoolahan there now?

No you are not correct. I like the way you don't bother quoting anybody in this post so you can subtlety change what has been said in order to try and discredit it. It's obvious what you are doing there and it's dumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

We totally blew qualification down the stretch. A draw in either Austria game or a goal in Liechtenstein would probably have been enough to get us over the line and avoid a playoff. Even then, a once off playoff in Anfield should have been doable.

In theory maybe - but not when it was confirmed we would be facing Holland.

Klivert, Davids and Seedorf arrived that night. We were totally outclassed and flattered by the result.

dfx- wrote: »
    I won £2 in school then for predicting the scoreline correctly. :cool:

You horrible little scrote. You bet against your own country!??!!?

I hope you spent the 2 quid on Premier League stickers and a Mr. Freeze tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    In theory maybe - but not when it was confirmed we would be facing Holland.

Klivert, Davids and Seedorf arrived that night. We were totally outclassed and flattered by the result.

8 of the Netherlands starting line-up at Anfield were part of the team that had won the Champions League the previous May. It was not only like playing a club side, but possibly the best club side in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

any stadium without a retractable roof is a dump imo
    questions need to be answered

watching the nordies with their shovels and tractors on fri / sat was cringe
    i pinched myself at times, wondering if i was staring in a sequel to back to the future III, back to the future IV if you like

You on a wind up or what???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Just got a flash back

Andreas Ogris

Peter Stöger

and the Mullet...Toni Polster
    life_g_tonyp_576.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

2-1 Georgia, 1-1 Bulgaria, 2-2 Italy, 0-0 Montenegro, 0-1 France, 1-6 Germany
    3-1 Andorra, 2-3 Russia, 2-1 Macedonia, 0-0 Slovakia, 2-1 Armenia, 1-1 Estonia

Our home performances under Trap in competitive fixtures; against teams of the same ilk as Austria, at home, we tend to draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Is it snowing in Ireland yeah? How do people think we will cope with that, better or worse? I would assume the Austrians are more used to playing in snow than us so it's probably not good news...

As for the post above, I don't think Ireland will be settling for a draw tonight. They know that it's a must win game, something reiterated by Seamus Coleman - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21933535. Whereas an away draw against Sweden was obviously a good result, especially after our respective results against Germany.

If it's 0-0 in the 80th minute tonight I would much prefer Ireland to push on and go for it in the last 10, at the risk of losing the game. If we win we have a decent chance of pushing on, if we lose we are almost certainly out. A draw just delays the inevitable imo

For the bettors among us, Ireland are going into this game as favourites. Austria are 2/1 or bigger to come away with 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

roryc wrote: »
    Is it snowing in Ireland yeah? How do people think we will cope with that, better or worse? I would assume the Austrians are more used to playing in snow than us so it's probably not good news...

As for the post above, I don't think Ireland will be settling for a draw tonight. They know that it's a must win game, something reiterated by Seamus Coleman - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21933535. Whereas an away draw against Sweden was obviously a good result, especially after our respective results against Germany.

If it's 0-0 in the 80th minute tonight I would much prefer Ireland to push on and go for it in the last 10, at the risk of losing the game. If we win we have a decent chance of pushing on, if we lose we are almost certainly out. A draw just delays the inevitable imo

For the bettors among us, Ireland are going into this game as favourites. Austria are 2/1 or bigger to come away with 3 points.

Ireland have a history of drawing 'must win' games, especially at home and especially under Trapattoni. It's the same guff we always get out of the team camp. It's what they have to say and the every team goes into a game looking to win no matter how slight the chance I suppose. At the end of the day, they'll do the talking on the pitch where it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

There is only a very subtle difference between an attacking midfielder and a number 10 deep striker.

Basically an attacking midfielder will make runs from deep and arrive in the forward position, a la Hoolahan/Lampard/Cahill/Gerrard, whereas a classic number 10 will play as a forward but drop deep receive the ball and link play, a la Rooney/Bergkamp/Del Piero/Cantona.

They both tend to end up in the same position but they arrive there from different places. Thus, it is not advisable to play one of each in the same team cos they are liable to get in each others way unless they can figure out how to dovetail.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

roryc wrote: »
    It's snowing on and off at the moment in Dublin, but it's melting as soon as it lands and doesn't seem heavy enough to stick. Unless it changes drastically in the next few hours (which at this rate it very well could), it doesn't seem like it'll affect the game too much.

• Advertisement

i'm actually nervous for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

There's no chance of this game getting postponed is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭The Guardian

i'd settle for a draw now
    the snow is a sign
    we're doomed
    if austria score early this could be over by HT

shane long offers nothing - no way he should be in the starting line up
    doyle and walters would be my first choice strike force, even with bob and claudine keane fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

the snow is a sign
    we're doomed

doyle and walters would be my first choice strike force, even with bob and claudine keane fit

You must be on a windup, he is our best striker beyond all reasonable doubt :rolleyes:

the snow is a sign
    we're doomed

tumblr_mbej03cdA41rzbvsto1_250.gif

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    You must be on a windup, he is our best striker beyond all reasonable doubt :rolleyes:

Meh, doesn't score much. Keane is still our best goal getter and that's the problem. Walters / Long put in a great shift but their goals per game ratio over large sample sizes don't lie.

Meh, doesn't score much. Keane is still our best goal getter and that's the problem. Walters / Long put in a great shift but their goals per game ratio over large sample sizes don't lie.

Think Keane has 1 goal from play in his last 17

Combine that with less running and less aerial ability

Don't get me wrong, he has been great for Ireland down through the years but Long is a better player now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

the snow is a sign
    we're doomed

246535.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I'll stick my neck out and predict a comprehensive win for us tonight, i think we'll beat them 4-1.

Gonna go for a Shane Long brace, John O' Shea to pop up with a rare header and a Glenn Whelan deflected free kick sailing into the top corner :cool:

McClean to be named MOTM.

Heard it here first :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Ormus wrote: »
    There is only a very subtle difference between an attacking midfielder and a number 10 deep striker.

Basically an attacking midfielder will make runs from deep and arrive in the forward position, a la Hoolahan/Lampard/Cahill/Gerrard, whereas a classic number 10 will play as a forward but drop deep receive the ball and link play, a la Rooney/Bergkamp/Del Piero/Cantona.

They both tend to end up in the same position but they arrive there from different places. Thus, it is not advisable to play one of each in the same team cos they are liable to get in each others way unless they can figure out how to dovetail.

Number 10 is just the Argentinian name for the position behind the CF. It can apply to a Messi or a Riquelme. There's no hard and fast rule about the names of the position imo, although I agree the second group of players you mention there are more like strikers.

I agree with you playing two of them in the same team behind a centre forward would be a bit mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

The guardian is Trolling here all day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

yep....no one should bite

Pro. F wrote: »
    Number 10 is just the Argentinian name for the position behind the CF. It can apply to a Messi or a Riquelme. There's no hard and fast rule about the names of the position imo, although I agree the second group of players you mention there are more like strikers.

I agree with you playing two of them in the same team behind a centre forward would be a bit mad.

Yeah I think the South Americans give the 10 jersey to their most creative player, whether he is a forward like Messi/Maradona, or a midfielder like Valderrama/Riquelme/Redondo.

In English football I don't remember many midfielders wearing number 10.

Then again shirt numbers hardly matter anymore.

Anyway, this is a bit off topic, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It's probably Barry Glendenning. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Has full official line up been announced? Just in work here, haven't got time to have read through previous pages?

Cheers!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement