Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Vs Austria - K/O 7:45PM - Sky Sports 2 & RTÉ 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Thecon21 wrote: »
    Has full official line up been announced? Just in work here, haven't got time to have read through previous pages?

Cheers!

Same team v sweden except Whelan in for green and Salmon of Knowledge in for Keano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

and the Mullet...Toni Polster
    life_g_tonyp_576.jpg

Was at that game - Toni Polster was on fire that day, insofar as a striker with no pace or discernible first touch could be on fire.

Landsdowne Rd. was like a morgue at full time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭The Guardian

Shane Long is not a big game player imo
    This is not trolling
    I watch a lot of premiership football and take particular notice of the irish lads
    I cant think of any game that Long took by the scruff of the neck and scored a big equaliser, or a big winner
    for me he seems to be coasting along with his career after a promising start and breakthrough with Reading
    hes the kind of guy who has limited ambition and as long as the next contract is secured hes happy enough
    thats fine of course

not trolling, if anyone can open my eyes for me, please do so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

And those two defeats forced us into a playoff with Holland, where we got hammered,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

That's a belly warming story! Never heard it before!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Shane Long is not a big game player imo
    This is not trolling
    I watch a lot of premiership football and take particular notice of the irish lads
    I cant think of any game that Long took by the scruff of the neck and scored a big equaliser, or a big winner
    for me he seems to be coasting along with his career after a promising start and breakthrough with Reading
    hes the kind of guy who has limited ambition and as long as the next contract is secured hes happy enough
    thats fine of course

not trolling, if anyone can open my eyes for me, please do so

There are only a few players in the Premiership who are able to take a game by the scruff of the neck.

Long scored against Chelsea and United in his first 2 games for West Brom. He also scored 2 in a play off semi final for Reading. It might not sound like much but he is Shane Long, not Robin Van Persie. He hasn't set the world alight at West Brom but he is a good player with a nice touch and a massive work rate. He's never gonna be as good a finisher as Keane but he is capable of scoring more goals than he has so far. In my opinion he will improve in the next couple of seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Starting to get a bit nervous now. Arnautovic is a threat as are the Mainz players. Also hoping Pogatetz doesn't end one of our lads' careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

3-1 Ireland, Salmon to score just because we've abused him all week.

Concerned we'll draw this as that would be bang on form with how we have done over the passed two campaigns in games like this but there is a bit of youth there and they might excite themselves.

Come on Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

I'll stick my neck out and predict a comprehensive win for us tonight, i think we'll beat them 4-1.

Gonna go for a Shane Long brace, John O' Shea to pop up with a rare header and a Glenn Whelan deflected free kick sailing into the top corner :cool:

McClean to be named MOTM.

Heard it here first :pac:

Hope you are right. But Ireland have offered very little in attack under Trappatoni against teams of any kind of a decent level in competitive games so I would be stunned if we scored 4 goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Same team v sweden except Whelan in for green and Salmon of Knowledge in for Keano

Cheers man!

Don't agree with Green exclusion anyway.. Here's hoping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

eire4 wrote: »
    Hope you are right. But Ireland have offered very little in attack under Trappatoni against teams of any kind of a decent level in competitive games so I would be stunned if we scored 4 goals.

I'd go and check the mushrooms I was eating earlier on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

1-1 and that's me being optimistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

HE LEAPS LIKE A SALMON FROM THE SEA DUDUDU!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

is Robbie on the bench, or has he no hope of playing at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Hitchens wrote: »
    is Robbie on the bench, or has he no hope of playing at all?

out of squad

• Advertisement

out of squad
    cheers man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

andyman wrote: »
    HE LEAPS LIKE A SALMON FROM THE SEA DUDUDU!!!

Salmon poaches a goal and hits the back of the net! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

life_g_tonyp_576.jpg

That's a beautiful haircut, how long would it take me to grow my hair like that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Just got a flash back

Andreas Ogris

Peter Stöger

life_g_tonyp_576.jpg

I had that jersey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Augmerson wrote: »
    I had that jersey.

Same with myself,with that and my croatian jersey i was irresistible to women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Just got a flash back

Andreas Ogris

Peter Stöger

life_g_tonyp_576.jpg

who done this in post-mullet years!!!! :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Augmerson wrote: »
    I had that jersey.

I had that haircut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

RayCon wrote: »
    1-1 and that's me being optimistic.

Ah come on. Defensively we're solid, with the exception being the better sides, like Spain and Germany. I'd say 1-0 or else 0-0.

the Austrians will probably relish this cold weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I had that haircut

so jealous :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hitchens wrote: »
    the Austrians will probably relish this cold weather

their cold weather is nice and dry and windless with sparkly snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Marc Wilson passed fit and starts for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

SlickRic wrote: »
    tumblr_mbej03cdA41rzbvsto1_250.gif

Is that really you Ric? Quite the looker aren't you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Great mind games by Trap, the Austrians will now be changing their game plan as Wilson is confirmed to play!!

(Honestly glad hes playing did well on Friday)

Up for this, probably gonna be a dour game but feck it CYBIG

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Great mind games by Trap, the Austrians will now be changing their game plan as Wilson is confirmed to play!!

(Honestly glad hes playing did well on Friday)

Up for this, probably gonna be a dour game but feck it CYBIG

Yea they have changed their gameplan, they brought in 2 young quick lads who some thought wouldnt be on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Dunphys point are all over the place here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think this is going to be a trickier game than most people reckon; it has a banana skin feel about it. Heart says we'll win but the head says we'll draw.

Don't think the Austrians should be taken lightly. I wish we had the Richard Dunne of the last campaign for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Honestly if you're a kid tonight and you're watching this and you see a player like Sammon starting ahead of and technically talented Hoolahan it sends out such a wrong message. It's disgraceful the route we've gone down yet again, playing an untalented, journeyman battering ram ahead of the creative and gifted Hoolahan. As I've said, very few other countries would tolerate this nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Jesus the Gardai were fighting a losing battle that day in dalymount!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I think this is going to be a trickier game than most people reckon; it has a banana skin feel about it. Heart says we'll win but the head says we'll draw.

Don't think the Austrians should be taken lightly. I wish we had the Richard Dunne of the last campaign for this one.

:confused:

Most people reckon this will be a struggle!

Honestly if you're a kid tonight and you're watching this and you see a player like Sammon starting ahead of and technically talented Hoolahan it sends out such a wrong message. It's disgraceful the route we've gone down yet again, playing an untalented, journeyman battering ram ahead of the creative and gifted Hoolahan. As I've said, very few other countries would tolerate this nonsense.

Ridiculous comment. Their career paths are actually not that dissimilar. Hoolahan went from the LOI to even lower tiers of English football than Sammon.

Ridiculous comment. Their career paths are actually not that dissimilar. Hoolahan went from the LOI to even lower tiers of English football than Sammon.

Reckon you missed the point there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Nothing ridiculous at all about his comment, it's 100% true.

Wes is a fantastic footballer relative to Ireland's standards, Sammon is a poor man's Andy Carroll.

That says more about the qualities which Irish and English football favour than it does the respective talent of both players.

• Advertisement

Nothing ridiculous at all about his comment, it's 100% true.

Wes is a fantastic footballer relative to Ireland's standards, Sammon is a poor man's Andy Carroll.

It's not true.

It sends out a message that if at first you don't succeed, keep going. This is what Hoolahan did winding up in Scotland and then the lower tiers of English football. Sammon wound up in Scotland also and worked his way up to the Premiership (before taking a move to Derby).

What's the bad message here, then? Work hard and you'll one day get an opportunity that you can grasp like David Forde did against Sweden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Showing a piece on the premiership lad who isn't playing as opposed to doing any actual research on the players who are playing.

Good stuff, RTE.

It's not true.

It sends out a message that if at first you don't succeed, keep going. This is what Hoolahan did winding up in Scotland and then the lower tiers of English football. Sammon wound up in Scotland also and worked his way up to the Premiership (before taking a move to Derby).

What's the bad message here, then? Work hard and you'll one day get an opportunity that you can grasp like David Forde did against Sweden?

The message is that a big, untalented battering ram who runs a lot will always be favoured over a small, creative, technically gifted footballer in this country.

It's not true.

The bad message is a player with skill,class,ability sits on the bench when a donkey plays instead !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Jaysus the Irish coverage :rolleyes:

Showing clips on Weimann because if he's not playing, the rest of them must be good.
    'I hope there's no one better than him playing'- brilliant John. It's hardly your job to know like!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

Bit harsh on Sammon but I see where you're coming from. It's a problem from grassroots here. Do we play the small technically gifted player or the physically big lad?

• Advertisement

Am worried about this game myself, nervous as I've ever been.

Austria are a decent side with some very good results behind them, the team tonight only has four of the team starting that Wales beat 2-1 in February.

Just hope we can make good use of Wilson and Coleman and get at Austria, Hope McCarthy plays as good as he did against Sweden and that he drives us forward.

We cannot afford not to win this, hope to fook we do!!

Feel bad for me watching RTÉ 2 in HD on Saorview. It is literally like a scene from "The Walking Dead" except the dialogue is even worse.

Bit harsh on Sammon but I see where you're coming from. It's a problem from grassroots here. Do we play the small technically gifted player or the physically big lad?

I'm not having a go at Sammon as a person, he might be a great guy for all I know. However it's what his playing ahead of Hoolahan represents that disappoints me.

Being a coach of a young kids team I can assure you that from a young age it's the big lad who gets the nod the majority of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Player for Player Austria are better than us, we should be worried and I don't feel like people respect them enough. A draw would be a big result, these guys might be more dangerous than Sweden.

elefant wrote: »
    Jaysus the Irish coverage :rolleyes:

Showing clips on Weimann because if he's not playing, the rest of them must be good.
    'I hope there's no one better than him playing'- brilliant John. It's hardly your job to know like!

They only do their research as far as the Premier League, they latched onto Alaba because he plays for Bayern.

It was poor against Sweden too, Dunphy said something along the lines of "Olsson for Blackburn and there are a few other Chapionship players too". Olsson was the West Brom player and there was one other lad who played in the Championship.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement