Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8gb or 24gb

• 24-03-2013 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at changing my broadband No UPC in my area. Looking at eircom up to 8 or up to 24gb. In reality I've no idea what they mean. I would be using the RTE player etc mainly. We are getting eircom fibre soon also here. Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Antibac wrote: »
    I'm looking at changing my broadband No UPC in my area. Looking at eircom up to 8 or up to 24gb. In reality I've no idea what they mean. I would be using the RTE player etc mainly. We are getting eircom fibre soon also here. Any advice greatly appreciated

Eircom offer 24gb? F**k me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Well it's up to 24!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

The last time I used eircom broadband, the download speed was far from that of the advertised speed. See if they will let you try the 8mb and upgrade to the 24mb if it's too slow.

Also just looking at the eircom site. Make sure you go for the unlimited download option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well it's up to 24!

Not gb , it mb. We'll all be dead by the time Eircom provides 24gb:).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Not gb , it mb. We'll all be dead by the time Eircom provides 24gb:).

We will all be dead by the time Eircom offers an improvement upon ADSL2+ 24meg in my area. Seriously. I'm doing well to get 6meg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

What speeds are you getting now and how much are you paying for it? You didn't give us much information to work with so we don't have a clue what best suits you.

Currently I'm using a 3 MiFi and it is costing 35euro a month. No idea what the speed is sorry. If I watch a few videos the allowance is gone very quickly. Unlimited is probably the handiest but am not sure if the 8 or 24 suits. Mainly For catch up TV or kids cartoons something that you can watch from start to finish with no delay waiting for parts of it to load

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

From the usage you describe, I can't see the benefit of paying extra for an up to 24mb service over an upto 8 service provided they're both unlimited.

Currently I'm using a 3 MiFi and it is costing 35euro a month. No idea what the speed is sorry. If I watch a few videos the allowance is gone very quickly. Unlimited is probably the handiest but am not sure if the 8 or 24 suits. Mainly For catch up TV or kids cartoons something that you can watch from start to finish with no delay waiting for parts of it to load

Do you know how far from the exchange you are?

The speed of the "up to 24mb" depends on how far from the exchange you are. I'm with Sky but they use Eircom's lines, my line is 2 kilometers and my speed is 12 Mb. I should get more but my noise margin is too low.

If you don't know how far from the exchange you are, ring Eircom and ask them. If you're about 3 kilometers from the exchange, you would be better of going for the 8 Mb package because your speed wouldn't be much higher if Eircom put you on the "up to 24 Mb" package.

Anyway none of us can answer this question until we find out how far from the exchange you are, so give Eircom a ring. Eircom should tell you what your line is capable getting.

We are appox 3.5km from the exchange. We got a flyer from them advertising fibre broadband in the area soon. Don't know if that will make a difference

• Advertisement

We are appox 3.5km from the exchange. We got a flyer from them advertising fibre broadband in the area soon. Don't know if that will make a difference

3.5 km from the exchange should give you 6 Mb, so "up to 24" isn't an option for you.

Fibre will improve things for you, unless you're miles away from the cabinet. Distance from the exchange is irrelevant with fiber to the cabinet because the data travels at the speed of light, it's the distance between your house and the cabinet that's feeding your broadband that matters.

The cabinets look like this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83794697&postcount=1877

Are any of those near your house? Most hosing estates should have the oldish-looking one on the left, the one on the right is a fiber cabinet.

Anyway, 6 mb is the best you can get until your area is upgraded to fiber.

Below is speed versus distance on the copper lines Eircom currently use:

ADSL2+ Sync rates

Less than 1km should be 23-24Mbit
    1.0km = 13.81dB = 23Mbit
    1.5km = 20.7dB = 21Mbit
    2.0km = 27.6dB = 18Mbit
    2.5km = 34.5dB = 13Mbit
    3.0km = 41.4dB = 8Mbit
    3.5km = 48.3dB = 6Mbit
    4.0km = 56dB = 4Mbit
    4.5km = 62.1dB = 3Mbit
    5.0km = 69dB = 2Mbit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

3.5 km from the exchange should give you 6 Mb, so "up to 24" isn't an option for you.

Fibre will improve things for you, unless you're miles away from the cabinet. Distance from the exchange is irrelevant with fiber to the cabinet because the data travels at the speed of light, it's the distance between your house and the cabinet that's feeding your broadband that matters.

The cabinets look like this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83794697&postcount=1877

Are any of those near your house? Most hosing estates should have the oldish-looking one on the left, the one on the right is a fiber cabinet.

Anyway, 6 mb is the best you can get until your area is upgraded to fiber.

Below is speed versus distance on the copper lines Eircom currently use:

ADSL2+ Sync rates

Less than 1km should be 23-24Mbit
    1.0km = 13.81dB = 23Mbit
    1.5km = 20.7dB = 21Mbit
    2.0km = 27.6dB = 18Mbit
    2.5km = 34.5dB = 13Mbit
    3.0km = 41.4dB = 8Mbit
    3.5km = 48.3dB = 6Mbit
    4.0km = 56dB = 4Mbit
    4.5km = 62.1dB = 3Mbit
    5.0km = 69dB = 2Mbit

Line Attenuation
    55/31 dB
    Is it the first 1 or last 1? :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Nolars wrote: »
    Line Attenuation
    55/31 dB
    Is it the first 1 or last 1? :)

The first sadly:(

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

To be honest, why make the choice?

Instead sign up for Sky:

€40, 24mb, off peak calls, unlimited

Our if it is available in your area, Smart:

€30, 24mb, 350GB cap

Note all are "upto" 24mb, you won't actually get these speeds.

Sky not an option at present as they are unwilling/unable to install a landline an eircom charging 120e to do it without a contract so I may just go with Harry's suggestion and then reasses after 12 months

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I may just go with Harry's suggestion and then reasses after 12 months

Is there anything shown NEAR you on this map???

http://goo.gl/maps/U4Sai

I would be near Drogheda I would be more towards Termonfeckin

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Is there anything shown NEAR you on this map???

http://goo.gl/maps/U4Sai

I thought Wexford was suppose to have some no?

Hmmm, may be something modern in Tullyallen but beyond that ????

Drogheda exchange serves to a tad beyond beaulieu cross so if there aint something THERE then .......I'd say no further out than Aston Village or even HERE

I thought Wexford was suppose to have some no?

No-one from Wexford has mapped any yet. That map is being constructed by people all over the country who live in phase 1 and 2.

I see you're from Wexford, would you like to contribute?

• Advertisement

No-one from Wexford has mapped any yet. That map is being constructed by people all over the country who live in phase 1 and 2.

I see you're from Wexford, would you like to contribute?

Sure i don't see why not. I seen a map of Wexford a few months back with the pilot coverage area or something. i must dig it up so i have a general idea of the locations.

Sure i don't see why not. I seen a map of Wexford a few months back with the pilot coverage area or something. i must dig it up so i have a general idea of the locations.

Look at the cab with the 'hinge' feature on right, they are locks but they stand out clearly. They are what we are mapping nationwide. Link at very bottom.

http://bit.ly/15PjVDM

Advertisement