Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downgrading Win8 to Win7. How to do it?

Options
  • 24-03-2013 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a new laptop with window 8 pro installed on it. This question has been asked before; but unfortunately not answered in a way that I can understand.

So:
    1. Is it technically possible to downgrade to windows 7?
    2. Will it cost me money?
    3. How is it specifically done? Can I do it myself? Or do I bring my laptop to some MS registered shop who do it and bill MS?

Please help me, Windows 8 is making me feel like David Banner!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Why is it making you feel like that? Is it the MetroUI because, you can get rid of that if you don't want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Check that all the devices have drivers for Windows 7 as some do not support Windows 7, only 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I just find it impossible to locate program setting or programs if anything starts giving trouble.

For instance:
    ATM I need to record a presentation via the integrated camera.
    I launch the camera app from the metroUI(Aside: whether a Win8 issue or not, I only seem to be able to open the camera from the metroUI, because like most other programs its location within the desktop is discretely located in some unknown bizarre folder):mad:

Anyway I launch the camera app which opens with a camera icon with a cross through it on a greyed out background. Now fair enough if there was a driver problem which there isn't, but what really pisses me off is the lack of options in the camera app settings menu. There are no workable options to resolve problems; other than resolution setting and the like.
    The camera worked fine last week, and as luck would have while typing this post I re-launched the app and it now works! Despite not working for the last hour and having not been able to do anything resolve it myself!

The thing with windows 8 is that I frequently find myself unable to even find starting points or entry point to resolve simple day to day computing issues.

You can probably tell from my attempt of an explanation above that I'm a bit of a grandad when it comes to computers. Window 8 just seems to put another layer of bulsh!t in my way of getting thing done. It has to go!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Classic Shell brings back a start menuish menu, and it will also take precident over MetroUI if you prefare. I wouldn't bother downgrading from Windows 8 to 7, as both are very similar OSes, would be a waste of money imo

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Since you have Windows 8 Pro, you're lucky.

You're eligible for a free downgrade to Windows 7 Professional.

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Classic Shell brings back a start menuish menu, and it will also take precident over MetroUI if you prefare. I wouldn't bother downgrading from Windows 8 to 7, as both are very similar OSes, would be a waste of money imo

Nick

Yeah I've read about those type of programs, but tbh I'd be worried that I'd just be adding another program that one day will frustrate me somehow!

I also read elsewhere that if your have win8 pro that was already installed on the machine when you bought it you can get a free downgraded; although I dont really know what that means or if its true.

I just want folders and files on a desktop which I can ideally point to on the screen with my finger. Thats the type of OS I need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Nick

I had Classic Shell on a quad core 64-bit Windows 7 machine.
    I was getting frequently Windows Explorer hangs and eventually narrowed it down to ClassicShell.
    I uninstalled it, and didn't get the problem afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php

You could also try that. I find Windows 8 to be great, once you get used to the Metro UI. My advice would be to stick with it and get used to it, because if you plan on using Windows going forward, you'll have to get used to it eventually.

Torqay wrote: »
    Since you have Windows 8 Pro, you're lucky.

You're eligible for a free downgrade to Windows 7 Professional.

You still need to pay a "processing fee" from the manufacturer for the downgrade media unless the machine came with a disc afaik?

Nick

You still need to pay a "processing fee" from the manufacturer for the downgrade media unless the machine came with a disc afaik?

Nick

I believe, it doesn't matter where you get your Windows 7 Professional installation DVD, all you need is an MSDN account and then download the ISO via Technet.
    Downgrade—at no additional cost—to Windows 7 Professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

RodgersLFC wrote: »
    My advice would be to stick with it and get used to it, because if you plan on using Windows going forward, you'll have to get used to it eventually.

Not if people keep ditching 8 for 7. MS will take note. 8 was a wake up call for MS and 9 will tell a tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Having the win 7 iso is one thing.
    Having a win 7 licence that works is another.

Will the win 8 pro licence number work with a win 7 pro install ?

uberalles wrote: »
    Having the win 7 iso is one thing.
    Having a win 7 licence that works is another.

Will the win 8 pro licence number work with a win 7 pro install ?

No, but the manufacturer should provide a valid key. That's what customer care is for. ;)

Any experience of dealing with Microsoft customer care? Will they supply adequate direction?

What is the expectancy that someone with average software savvy, myself, would be able to complete a successful downgrading?

I finish college in a month and I think I'm going to tackle it then.

Not Microsoft, to the makers of your laptop you'll have to talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Torqay wrote: »
    Not Microsoft, to the makers of your laptop you'll have to talk.
    Yup, MS will having nothing to do with it.

First off I want to thank everyone for their help. Although I'm a bit surprised at the lack of any agreed consensus on the matter.

Anyway, AFAIK Torqay seems to be closest to the solution.

What I've learned this far:
    A user has the right(from microsoft) to perform a Win8 Pro to Win7 Pro downgrade if you have bought a new machine with Win8 Pro installed on it.

To perform the downgrade you just install any copy of windows 7 ProYou'll need a legitimate disc and product key, but you can just use an old or used one. After you install, you can call Microsoft and they'll activate your downgrade for you. Provided you have, and presumably then quote to them, your original win8 Pro product key.

*Awaits someone to tell me this is complete bs!

First off I want to thank everyone for their help. Although I'm a bit surprised at the lack of any agreed consensus on the matter.

Anyway, AFAIK Torqay seems to be closest to the solution.

What I've learned this far:
    A user has the right(from microsoft) to perform a Win8 Pro to Win7 Pro downgrade if you have bought a new machine with Win8 Pro installed on it.

To perform the downgrade you just install any copy of windows 7 ProYou'll need a legitimate disc and product key, but you can just use an old or used one. After you install, you can call Microsoft and they'll activate your downgrade for you. Provided you have, and presumably then quote to them, your original win8 Pro product key.

*Awaits someone to tell me this is complete bs!
    I think it is the laptop manufacturer will provide you with the Windows 7 downgrade key, I can't imagine the Windows 8 key would also activate 7. There may be a "processing fee" charged by the laptop manufacturer, in which then they'll send you a key.
    When Vista pro came with XP downgrade rights, the manufacturers provided a second disc with the laptop with the Windows XP install, I can't remember if the disc itself had a serial number, or downgraded based on the Vista serial that was in use at the time. You can download the windows 7 install media here and then try installing with the windows 8 pro key, it might work, but make a backup of your windows 8 restore partition jic..

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I had Classic Shell on a quad core 64-bit Windows 7 machine.
    I was getting frequently Windows Explorer hangs and eventually narrowed it down to ClassicShell.
    I uninstalled it, and didn't get the problem afterwards.

I've had Classic Shell installed on a wide variety of machines for a couple of years and never had any problems.

But it could simply be a setting that was causing problems.

http://sourceforge.net/p/classicshell/discussion/1049756/thread/af8df61d

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Honestly, why are you making things so hard for yourself? You can fix this. Yourself. For free. In 5 minutes. And be done with it.

Try classic shell, or vistart. I have used both extensively and a few others too, but I have settled on the paid-for Start8. Cost me about €3 :p

Windows 8 is faster, leaner and more stable than Windows 7. If you can't live with the new UI, then just don't use it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

workflow.png

unkel wrote: »
    Honestly, why are you making things so hard for yourself? You can fix this. Yourself. For free. In 5 minutes. And be done with it.

Try classic shell, or vistart. I have used both extensively and a few others too, but I have settled on the paid-for Start8. Cost me about €3 :p

Windows 8 is faster, leaner and more stable than Windows 7. If you can't live with the new UI, then just don't use it :)
    Yeah I hear ya.

Last night I activated my free month long trial of MS office 2013 and analogous to the subject of this thread, it seems to be quicker, keener with a few additional/more accessible features compared to earlier versions.

Maybe I need to be more progressive and move with the times!
    I think I may download that Start8 shell all the same.

Ok, so I have purchased start8 and it seems to help a lot in removing some of the complaints I listed above.

Being able to disabling those annoying windows 8 hot corners on the desktop is especially satisfying. However the windows 8 taskbar perhaps? still launches on the right of the desktop when I inadvertently scroll horizontally on my touch pad.
    Any pointers regarding how to disable this?

I appreciate all the replies so far folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not quite sure what you mean, is it the charm bar that pops up when you move the cursor to the very right of the screen? You can disable the charm bar too, right where you disabled the hot corners:

In the Start8 configuration, click on "desktop"

There in "how should the new windows 8 features work?" you can disable the hot corners and the charm bars

Another tip, should by accident any of the apps launch and you find yourself, horror of horrors, in the modern UI :D, just hit the windows button plus D to bring your back to the aul familiar desktop we've all come to know and love :D

Below is a screen capture of the windows8 menu of sorts that pops up when I sometimes track my finger in from the right on my curser touchpad, if you get what I'm trying to say. I've check all available options under start8>desktop to disable hot corners.

dywqbt.jpg

Advertisement