Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethiopian Restaurant?

Options
  • 24-03-2013 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know if there are any Ethiopian restaurants in Dublin?

I know there are a few Africal restaurants about but there's a specific Ethiopian dish I'm after.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

What's the dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Dunno of any specifically Ethiopian restaurants in town, but if you need some berbere to make your own dishes like chicken berbere or most wats, I could give you some. I brought a kilo home from Bahir Dar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

hmmm wrote: »
    What's the dish?

Injera
    Dunno of any specifically Ethiopian restaurants in town, but if you need some berbere to make your own dishes like chicken berbere or most wats, I could give you some. I brought a kilo home from Bahir Dar.

Wow, that's really generous! Thanks so much for the offer :)

Not a problem. If you want some genuine berbere, fire me off a pm and I'll bring you some in town this week.

Here's a simple injera recipe. If you can get teff flour, so much the better.

http://www.oreillysrecipes.com/injera.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

No Ethiopian restaurants anywhere in Ireland as far as I know or Eritrean restaurants either. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I always found it weird that Ethopians didn't come here in big numbers during the Celtic Tiger. Especially as they would have been aware of Ireland through the work of Concern, Goal, etc in Ethopia.

The only immigrants we ever seemed to get from Africa is Nigerians, I've always wondered why that was.

The people who really need asylum are always way too poor and powerless to find a way to access it.
    But we're veering off-topic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Apologies if this is culturally insensitive, but would Ethiopian food be similar to that of North Africa and the Middle East? I love that type of cuisine, and I'd be interested in trying other things along the same lines.

Very different indeed. Much spicier for a start.

RATM wrote: »
    I always found it weird that Ethopians didn't come here in big numbers during the Celtic Tiger. Especially as they would have been aware of Ireland through the work of Concern, Goal, etc in Ethopia.

The only immigrants we ever seemed to get from Africa is Nigerians, I've always wondered why that was.

There's an Ethiopian embassy here so I'd imagine there are some actual Ethiopians here! I wish just one of them would start a restaurant.

Nigeria is far and away the most populous country in Africa which probably explains why there are so many here, but there are plenty of Africans from other countries eg South Africa, Somalia, Sudan to name a few.

• Advertisement

Ethiopia's the second most populous country in Africa, but being one of the poorest there's almost none of them in Ireland. Sad truth be told, those who could afford the price of a plane ticket to Europe and then a further flight to Ireland may not have been in general, or even for the most part the most deserving of asylum.
    While there are embassy staff here, and a few Ethiopians, and the odd Eritrean, Somali and possibly even a Djiboutian or two, there wouldn't be any sort of significant population to sustain a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Thelonious

Have you tried Injera before? I work in Ethiopia and I never really got a taste for it. It's a bit too sour for me. The ethiopian guys I work with eat it for every meal, they really love the stuff.

Thelonious wrote: »
    Have you tried Injera before? I work in Ethiopia and I never really got a taste for it. It's a bit too sour for me. The ethiopian guys I work with eat it for every meal, they really love the stuff.

I have indeed - it's delicious! Kind of similar to a Dosa which is a South Indian pancake. I'll just stick to buying Masala Dosas sure til someone decides to open up an Ethiopian restaurant!

cosmic wrote: »
    Kind of similar to a Dosa which is a South Indian pancake.

South Indian, now there's another cuisine we could use more of here.

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    South Indian, now there's another cuisine we could use more of here.

Ambala on Camden Street and Delhi O'Deli on Moore Street do Masala Dosas. Not the best I've ever had but still pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

cosmic wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know if there are any Ethiopian restaurants in Dublin?

I know there are a few Africal restaurants about but there's a specific Ethiopian dish I'm after.

Cheers!

Unfortunately no, I got a craving for Ethiopian food after returning from a trip there... had to seek out this restaurant when I was visiting a mate in London :)

http://www.thequeenofsheba.co.uk/

They do the proper coffee ceremony too, including incense!

There are loads of Ethiopian restaurants in London! Off the top of my head I know of a few on Caledonian Road, one in Finsbury Park, one in Brixton, another South London one I can't remember exactly where and also an Eritrean in Islington. I always make time to visit one whenever I go to London! t2806.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Hi folks, after all these years this thread is the top result when you google Ethipoian food Ireland. So I'm guessing there are still no actual restaurants yet.

HOWEVER ... for those of you who are willing to travel to Cork. I went to Midelton Farmer's market in Cork on Saturday. There's a vegetarian Ethiopian food stall there. Run by an Ethiopian lady and her Irish hubbie. Very delicious food, but sells out fast. Get there before 12.30. I arrived at 1pm and only got the scrapings of the barrel. Very tasty though. There was no njera, not sure if she does that. She also does Mahon Point Farmer's Market on a Thursday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I really wish there was an ethiopian restaurant here, gap in the market for it. The food is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Looks like the Lantern Centre on Synge Street has a pop up dining set-up after Sunday Ethiopian Orthodox Mass.

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2016/03/01/where-is-ethiopian-food-dublin/

• Advertisement

Ethiopian is the best food and coffee in Africa ... pure madness there isn't a place here, but yes it probably only starts with Ethiopian locals frequenting it.

Still though, the Lebanese place in Rathmines started with hardly any Lebanese clientele and became very successful, so I reckon someone should take a gamble on Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

alastair wrote: »
    Looks like the Lantern Centre on Synge Street has a pop up dining set-up after Sunday Ethiopian Orthodox Mass.

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2016/03/01/where-is-ethiopian-food-dublin/

For their participants and the odd journo rather than the general public I'd think

Lots of people would be surprised to realise the range and quality of Ethiopian food as all they can think of is Live Aid. Some of the stuff said about Ethiopian Airlines when they came to Dublin was comical

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There are direct flights from Dublin to and from Addis Ababa now with Ethiopian Airlines too.

Fascinating history to the place. They seem to have upped their game and improved the country enormously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭LoMismo

There's not even a feckin' decent Turkish restaurant here, never mind Ethiopian.

There are direct flights from Dublin to and from Addis Ababa now with Ethiopian Airlines too.

Fascinating history to the place. They seem to have upped their game and improved the country enormously.

Addis Ababa has a light rail system that looks more advanced than our Luas. I think there's a lot of Chinese investment now.

LoMismo wrote: »
    Addis Ababa has a light rail system that looks more advanced than our Luas. I think there's a lot of Chinese investment now.

Hopefully now they have more than just one ATM in the entire country (that's how it was when I was there).

When I ran out of money some locals offered to pay for my meal..unbelievably wonderful people!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

LoMismo wrote: »
    There's not even a feckin' decent Turkish restaurant here, never mind Ethiopian.

Agreed, I was amazed how good the food was on holidays in Istanbul. Shame there is nothing like it here.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Agreed, I was amazed how good the food was on holidays in Istanbul. Shame there is nothing like it here.

London is amazing for Turkish food. Really cheap and amazing big barbecue platters, best meat ever. Green Lanes and Dalston are full of these places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I'm sure they're delighted you think so. They're probably not saying the same about us.

Regarding the food, it's fantastic, and I'm a big fan of injera - love to be able to access it here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

There's a good few Ethiopian Restaurants in the South side, where you pay twice as much for half as little.

Advertisement