Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small rabbit in garden

• 24-03-2013 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A small rabbit has made it's way somehow into my garden. My cat wants to investigate. What should I do? Wait for rabbit to find its own way out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

What colour is it? All wild rabbits are brown, so if its white, white/black or any other mixed colour it'll be a domesticated rabbit. If it is, don't leave it to its own devices or anywhere near your cats, it won't survive very long. I will PM you some rescue places if you manage to catch it or get it to your local vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Hi anniehoo

Yeah it's a kind of brown, tabby looking rabbit. Probably very young. Would be smaller than a bag of sugar. I do have a large field to the back of my home but as my garden is all walled in I don't know how it managed to find its way in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

anniehoo wrote: »
    What colour is it? All wild rabbits are brown, so if its white, white/black or any other mixed colour it'll be a domesticated rabbit. If it is, don't leave it to its own devices or anywhere near your cats, it won't survive very long. I will PM you some rescue places if you manage to catch it or get it to your local vet.
    Sorry but that's partially wrong.
    Some Different coloured rabbits may be domesticated and released but in a lot of cases black rabbits are actually a result of inbreeding where the population of rabbits is so high that they are inbreeding and this is result with some rabbits being white and brown, white and black ,all black or all white.
    If you look at a wild rabbit closely you will see that it is not actually brown. The hair ranges from white,yellow to grey and black . This gives the overall immpression of being brown .

• Registered Users Posts: 36 hare

leave it to nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Used to be one came about my garden few years ago, dunno where it is now :( We have dog's but never usually let them out near it, think once investigated but nothing hostile & kept at length. Is a Cat run's about from neighbors that runs about freely so wondering if it got it :(

Anyhow, got it some sliced carrots and it would cautiously come up a few times when had them. Maybe get some if trying to catch it or something. Never touched it in-case had anything -.-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Hi all,
    Same
    Situation as O.P. we just noticed a small brown rabbi in our back garden. We live in a small housing estate with a high wall to the back and fenced sides with trees shaped as hedge and hedging. He is at the moment hiding under our Barna shed!

Should we leave him be assuming if he found his way in then he should find his way out or could he be trapped and need help?

Advertisement