Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 tip of a flat belly!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

You can do like lazy mans push ups, with your knees up on the bed or similar height. that can work there pretty good

is something I do when I get stomach cramps due to lack of fooood... o to experience bloatedness again like when I was a kid. Miss that stuffed sensation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My brother is 28, 5 feet 10 and 9.5 stone. He eats a full fried breakfast with 6 slices of bread every morning, a full frozen pizza for lunch, a meat and two veg dinner (very large portion) and gets himself two big mac meals most evenings. In between he drinks at leat alitre of coke, 2 litres of milk and eats his way through a double packet of fig rolls most days. He sits on his arse from one end of the day to the next.

It is definitely easier for some than it is for others.

I was like that till I was around 25. I'm 6ft and weighed a paltry 9st sometimes dipping into the 8s. I ate like a hippo and never gained a pound. Then i hit my mid 20s and gained weight steadily till I hit 14st over a ten year period. I'm now back at 12st which is my ideal weight but I watch what I eat and excercise now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

stop eating so much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

the eat every 2-3 hours and ALWAYS eat breakfast guy has obviously never head of IF.

*smug*

No, I haven't.. Elaborate?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Little tricks like that go a LONG way. Another simple one is that if you're already getting your 8 glasses of water a day, drop an ice cube into each of them and let it cool down. Your body uses energy heating up the water before it can use it for anything, and it's possible to burn off about 80 calories a day from that if you're consistent with it.

Latent heat of ice is about 80 cal/g

But there's 1,000 cal in a food calorie

so 80 food calories would be about 1Kg of melting ice

or the difference between 8 litres of water at 0 degrees and 10 degrees ( tap water isn't exactly warm this time of year )

PS. that research on water is just misinterpreted. Beer , soup, fruit and potatoes count.
    Pizza is roughly 50% water ( and it's a vegetable \o/ )

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.long
    A suitable allowance of water for adults is 2.5 liters daily in most instances. An ordinary standard for diverse persons is 1 milliliter for each calorie of food. Most of this quantity is contained in prepared foods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

gurramok wrote: »
    You're young, easier to lose weight. Try losing it when in you're in your 30's when your stamina is reduced! Actually its good you did it now before you reach that age :)

So nobody can reveal the tip to lose that belly then? :)

Put down the fúcking fork. It's that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

One tip of a flat pork belly roast, sah.

you cannot go withou a pork bun in yuh haan..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

@hatrickpatrick

go to leangains.com and read a few articles. Complete opposie advice to what you gave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Eating regular small meals doesn't increase metabolism. Starvation mode is a myth for most people especially if you are obese.

A lot of broscience here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

you know I would have put money on gummys advice for a flat tummy would have been

"get some wan to rub it for you"

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

I just got ripped in 4 weeks. I cant wait to show all the Russian girls living in my area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

My brother is 28, 5 feet 10 and 9.5 stone. He eats a full fried breakfast with 6 slices of bread every morning, a full frozen pizza for lunch, a meat and two veg dinner (very large portion) and gets himself two big mac meals most evenings. In between he drinks at leat alitre of coke, 2 litres of milk and eats his way through a double packet of fig rolls most days. He sits on his arse from one end of the day to the next.

It is definitely easier for some than it is for others.

Good on him. He should enjoy it while he can, before the inevitable coronary in his mid 30's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

This is basically correct, with two additional pieces of info required:
    1: You can manipulate your metabolism to trick it into continually burning energy constantly without regard for how much energy it actually has to use. Think of it like a drunk person using their overdraft to buy another round with their ATM card, but not realising they're using their overdraft. ;)

There is no trick, it works 24/7...

There is no trick, it works 24/7...

You can trick it into burning a lot more at rest than it otherwise would. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

pretty sure you can't......

• Advertisement

@hatrickpatrick

go to leangains.com and read a few articles. Complete opposie advice to what you gave!
    Eating regular small meals doesn't increase metabolism. Starvation mode is a myth for most people especially if you are obese.

A lot of broscience here.

What can I say, it worked for me and phenomenally fast. Some people in my class literally didn't recognize me for a few minutes when we got back after the summer break, those who'd been away for the whole summer so I hadn't seen them.

I limited my calories to around 1400 / day and did a f*ckton of exercise as I said over the page, but plenty of people do that without having as much success as I had so I have to put it down to something else, and the only other thing I can think of was that I read just about everything I could find about metabolism and how to manipulate it.

The second helping thing is key as well. You'd be AMAZED how much difference 5 minutes will make in terms of whether you're still actually hungry or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

What can I say, it worked for me and phenomenally fast. Some people in my class literally didn't recognize me for a few minutes when we got back after the summer break, those who'd been away for the whole summer so I hadn't seen them.

I limited my calories to around 1400 / day and did a f*ckton of exercise as I said over the page, but plenty of people do that without having as much success as I had so I have to put it down to something else, and the only other thing I can think of was that I read just about everything I could find about metabolism and how to manipulate it.

The second helping thing is key as well. You'd be AMAZED how much difference 5 minutes will make in terms of whether you're still actually hungry or not.

1,400 calories a day is very low. At the size you say you were then you could have been burning over 3,000 calories a day at rest easily. Just dropping your calorie intake to 1,400 alone without any exercise or "weird tips". With "a f*ckton of exercise" on top of that it's no surprise the weight fell off you.

If you know people who were as big as you were and say they ate only 1,400 calories a day without losing weight then they lied to you, those numbers just don't add up.

A lot of the tips you are giving people are wrong. It doesn't matter how many meals you have a day, you can eat all day long or you can eat once a day. As long as calories in < calories out you will lose weight. It takes a lot longer than 1 day to put the body into starvation mode.

The same with breakfast, it's a total myth. You can skip breakfast completely and it isn't likely to make a blind bit of difference to weight loss. Unless there are psychological reason involved, for example somebody might be more inclined to reach for crappy foods if they are really hungry by lunch time. That's very much down to the individual tho.

The only time I can think of that timing of meals will matter is for somebody training for some high intensity sport. Even then I'm not sure.

Somebody already pointed out why the ice thing is just silly. It reminded me of the beer and ice cream diet joke http://astro.berkeley.edu/~gmarcy/thermal/tpteacher/jokes/icecream.html
    The catch being that a food Calorie (capital C) is actually 1,000 calories (the energy needed to heat 1g of water 1 degree).

Slightly ironically you probably have a very low metabolism. If you consistently eat below your basic metabolic rate then it causes your metabolism to slow down. You might find you will put weight back on quickly if you start to eat a regular diet again so be careful.

Ideally for weight loss calorie intake should be somewhere between your basic metabolic rate (BMR) and your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). Weight loss down that road is slower than what you experienced but is typically very sustainable.

The losing weight by lifting weights bit was great advice tho.

Well done on getting to where you are btw. I'm not having a go at you, just pointing out the flaws in what you are saying because some people might read them and think all they need to do to lose weight is drink lots of ice and spread their meals out over the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

That link really grates me each time I see it. I can't suffer nonsensical statements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You can trick it into burning a lot more at rest than it otherwise would. ;)

AFAIK, The only way your metabolism should increase is if your body does more work.

So as above, what you did primarily was reduce the amount of food you ate along with doing more work. I don't really see the trick.

Advertisement