Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday trading hours

Options
  • 24-03-2013 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,240 ✭✭✭✭

Do most shops open Sunday hours?
    Are restaurants allowed open but not sell alcohol ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Shops are open normal hours as its a normal day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,240 ✭✭✭✭km79

And restaurants ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good Friday is a normal trading day for most places, restaurants don't sell alcohol but for one night only it's not a biggie imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I forgot we still had that stone age law with regards to booze :rolleyes:

Everything else runs as normal OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,240 ✭✭✭✭km79

Thanks for the replies. I'm not worried about the lack of booze I was just worried tht licensed restaurants may not be open.
    Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭holygoaliefc

AFAIK banks all closed...post offices def closed

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

rarnes1 wrote: »

I guess if we lost the neanderthal behaviour towards booze, we might be able to get the law changed.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

AFAIK banks all closed...post offices def closed

It's a Bank Holiday not a public holiday. So banks would be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Banks, Post Office and all Public Service offices closed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I guess if we lost the neanderthal behaviour towards booze, we might be able to get the law changed.;)
    More like if we lost the neanderthal religion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

oooohhh... SNAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

There is no late night shopping on Good Friday. All shops closed by 6pm.

Everything else runs as normal OP.

Most people I know have the day off so not really a normal day either as such along with the banks etc being closed.

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Where are you pulling this from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Think certain theatre bars have a special license. There are a lot of cultural outings on that night :)
    There was something about restaurants/hotels serving a year or two ago but *think* there was some fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Most people I know have the day off so not really a normal day either as such along with the banks etc being closed.

Most people I know work for multi-nationals, so it's very much work-as-usual.

I'm just about to start researching, but from memory, most public transport runs as per normal Friday timetable on Good Friday.

And late-night shopping in Galway is on Thursday for most shops. A few open on Friday too, but not all of 'em.

Most people I know work for multi-nationals, so it's very much work-as-usual.

I'm just about to start researching, but from memory, most public transport runs as per normal Friday timetable on Good Friday.

And late-night shopping in Galway is on Thursday for most shops. A few open on Friday too, but not all of 'em.
    Other way around i would suggest. And all of the British chains open both nights for late night shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Where are you pulling this from?

Yep Paddyfield is right, most shops close earlier on good friday. Where I work, we normally open late Fridays but the shopping centre closes at 6pm that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

A day without being able to buy booze.

How will we survive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

A day without being able to buy booze.

How will we survive?

That's not the point..

It's because of some fairy tale it should be binned..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,467 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Back in 'de day' I reckon the Galway-Athenry train service must have been the biggest ticket seller in the country on Good? Friday. Think the only people who got on the train were the driver and conductor tho ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

That's not the point..

It's because of some fairy tale it should be binned..

It's going to be a real struggle not to be able to buy alcohol for one entire day.

Really, I don't know if I can hack it.

Great logic there!

If religious Catholics want to abstain from alcohol on good Friday that's fine. It shouldn't mean that everyone else should follow suit.

It's going to be a real struggle not to be able to buy alcohol for one entire day.

Still missing the point i see, continue on though, im sure you will be grand with an orange juice and your Bible anyway.:cool:

You are missing the point by a country mile.
    It's a religious law that is completely outdated and has no place in modern society.

You think it curbs underage drinking? Of course not. If anything its a day when there's mass house parties!

Btw, I'm saying this as someone who probably only frequents a pub every 5/6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Every year the same arguments :D
    Just a suggestion but if you're against this old law then perhaps start some sort of campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

In which case we can get rid of Christmas, Easter, St. Patricks Day and all of that stuff altogether, including the bank holidays/time off and other things that go with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Fey! wrote: »
    In which case we can get rid of Christmas, Easter, St. Patricks Day and all of that stuff altogether, including the bank holidays/time off and other things that go with them.

And St. Stephen's day/boxing day, New Years Day, Halloween (the holiday is the last Monday in October), Mayday (May BH, ancient celtic holiday), Whit weekend (june BH), August Bank Holiday (Lughnasa).

Anything left that isn't covered by a (any) Neanderthal religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I don't think anyone is debating the loss of Good Friday as a day. More the sanctions legally imposed on that day for the sake of a religion that a lot of people no longer follow or believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I don't think anyone is debating the loss of Good Friday as a day. More the sanctions legally imposed on that day for the sake of a religion that a lot of people no longer follow or believe.

It's very easy to say "a lot of people no longer follow or believe" but 3.8m people still describe themselves as being Roman Catholic here in Ireland.

Advertisement