Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday trading hours

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

antoobrien wrote: »
    3.8m people still describe themselves as being Roman Catholic here in Ireland.

I wonder what the number was for "Jedi" :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

antoobrien wrote: »
    3.8m people still describe themselves as being Roman Catholic here in Ireland.

Only because they're afraid of what the neighbours might think if they didn't. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I wonder what the number was for "Jedi" :cool:

Can't remember if there was a write in box, but the figures for "other" were 75,655.

Only because they're afraid of what the neighbours might think if they didn't. :P

So you know what I put on my census return while I lived in the land of the heathens Dublin? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I knew it, they really are after me

Most people I know work for multi-nationals, so it's very much work-as-usual

I've never worked a Good Friday be it when working in a private or public sector job always have it off. Most people I know are working in private sector jobs and have it off, two are working for big international companies one in financial services and the other in manufacturing.

I know one person who works for a multinational that is working, though there is a good chance he will "disappear" early for our traditional Good Friday round of golf.

• Advertisement

I've never worked a Good Friday be it when working in a private or public sector job always have it off. Most people I know are working in private sector jobs and have it off, two are working for big international companies one in financial services and the other in manufacturing.

I know one person who works for a multinational that I working though there is a goo chance he will "disappear" early for our traditional Good Friday game of golf.

It's entirely up to the company whether the day is considered a "holiday" or not. Any job I have had (all private sector) GF has been a working day. Banks & related financial businesses take it off for religious reasons (the 30 pieces of sliver used to buy off Judas).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Fey! wrote: »
    In which case we can get rid of Christmas, Easter, St. Patricks Day and all of that stuff altogether, including the bank holidays/time off and other things that go with them.
    Pretty sure you can still have state sanctioned holidays that aren't dictated by the Vatican buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

OP; most shops open as normal on Good Friday, but it's up to each individual shop.

Pretty sure you can still have state sanctioned holidays that aren't dictated by the Vatican buddy

You can, but you can do away with your Christmas presents, carol singing and Easter eggs.

Also, I am not your buddy, and refering to me as such just makes you sound like a smug git.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

OP; most shops open as normal on Good Friday, but it's up to each individual shop.

You can, but you can do away with your Christmas presents, carol singing and Easter eggs.

Also, I am not your buddy, and refering to me as such just makes you sound like a smug git.

Didn't realise the Catholic Church sanctioned the eating of chocolate.

Btw, Christmas was originally a pagan holiday and the Christian church adopted it :-)

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Didn't realise the Catholic Church sanctioned the eating of chocolate.

Btw, Christmas was originally a pagan holiday and the Christian church adopted it :-)

I was refering more to the holiday celebrating the death and resurrection of the Lord, Easter. I have no problem with the state starting a chocolate egg holiday.

As for pagan holidays, isn't paganism a form of religion?

• Advertisement

Nah, I say you can keep them. Not sure why you're getting tradition mixed up with law making.
    Thou shalt not get in a stroppy and call people names on the internet - Matthew 2:18

Nah, I say you can keep them. Not sure why you're getting tradition mixed up with law making.

You don't want religious input into modern culture, but you do want religious traditions.

Thou shalt not get in a stroppy and call people names on the internet - Matthew 2:18

Thou shalt use the internet to be a warrior in anonimity - Abraham :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I only care about Fidelma Healy-Eames, Ph.D.'s opinion on this matter.

You don't want religious input into modern culture, but you do want religious traditions.
    No you're getting confused again. At no point did I say I wanted every religious influence in modern culture eradicated. A lot of our laws and moral values can be traced back to religion for example. It did a great job while civilisation found its feet.

I don't think it should dictate the laws of the land. There is a distinct difference between "modern culture" and hard legislation. If you disagree with that then go ahead, but don't twist my words into an argument you feel more comfortable opposing.
    Thou shalt use the internet to be a warrior in anonimity - Abraham :p
    I hope you don't mean to suggest waging war in the name of a holy book.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

A chocolate holiday sounds good though!

I had a big long reply written, then read over it and realised I couldn't figure out what it had to do with shop opening hours on Good Friday, or the lack of availability of booze!!

The basics were that if you don't want religion in your life, don't celebrate the traditions. If you celebrate the traditions, don't deny your religion. That's not just as a Catholic, it's right across the religious spectrum. We just do it more, as a lot of people feel it's "cool" to say that they're athiests.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You know, I don't actually think it's the Catholic church that's behind the alcohol ban on Good Friday. (If they'd wanted a ban, surely it would extend to work too, so we could all go to church).

I think it's actually the publicans, and their carpenters, plumbers, electricians, painters and tilers.

Right now, Good Friday and Christmas are the only times when they can have 24 client-free hours to work on the building. No one wants to work Christmas. Hardly any of them really want to go to church on Good Friday. So having the pubs closed that day, and that day only, works for everyone (except the poor sods who cannot manage a day without buying drink).

I think it's actually the publicans, and their carpenters, plumbers, electricians, painters and tilers.

Right now, Good Friday and Christmas are the only times when they can have 24 client-free hours to work on the building. No one wants to work Christmas. Hardly any of them really want to go to church on Good Friday. So having the pubs closed that day, and that day only, works for everyone (except the poor sods who cannot manage a day without buying drink).
    They can have client free hours any day of the year they choose. And if they did choose, I'm fairly sure it wouldn't be a Friday night.

And it's not about "managing a day without drink" (hear this every year). I haven't had a drink since Paddys. It's a Friday, and more importantly it's that I should be able to make that choice myself.

biko wrote: »
    Every year the same arguments :D
    Just a suggestion but if you're against this old law then perhaps start some sort of campaign?
    If only it were an old law - the relevant part was updated in 2000:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0017/sec0003.html#sec3
    Save as otherwise provided by this Act, it shall not be lawful for any person to sell or expose for sale any intoxicating liquor, or to open or keep open any premises for the sale of intoxicating liquor, or to permit any intoxicating liquor to be consumed on licensed premises—

(a) at any time on Christmas Day or Good Friday;

(b) on any other day, as specified hereunder, outside the times so specified in respect of it—

(i) Saint Patrick's Day: between 12.30 p.m. and 12.30 a.m. on the following day;

(ii) the 23rd December: if it falls on a Sunday, between 10.30 a.m. and 11.30 p.m.;

(iii) Christmas Eve and the eve of Good Friday: between 10.30 a.m. and 11.30 p.m.;

(iv) the eve of any public holiday (other than Christmas Eve):

(I) if the eve falls on a weekday, between 10.30 a.m. and 12.30 a.m. on the following day, or

(II) if it falls on a Sunday, between 12.30 p.m. and 12.30 a.m. on the following day;

(v) any other Sunday (except a Saint Patrick's Day which falls on a Sunday): between 12.30 p.m. and 11.00 p.m.;

(vi) any other Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday: between 10.30 a.m. and 11.30 p.m.; and

(vii) any other Thursday, Friday or Saturday: between 10.30 a.m. and 12.30 a.m. on the following day.

(1A) The hours specified in paragraph (b) of subsection (1) in respect of any day specified in that paragraph are in addition to the period between midnight and 12.30 a.m. on that day where that period is included in the hours so specified in respect of the eve of that day.

(1B) In subsection (1), ‘public holiday’ has the meaning given to it by the Organisation of Working Time Act, 1997 .”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,467 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

As an aside I might as well give my annual warning: Don't forget that a lot of shops (especially supermarkets) will not be open on Easter Sunday. Don't really know or care why but it's tradition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Where are you pulling this from?

From my memory of going into the city centre 2 years ago and there wasn't even any tumbleweed rolling down Shop Street.

Advertisement