Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Collecting my first bike tomorrow

• 24-03-2013 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭

So I decided to take the plunge and buy a bike. I never had any interest in getting one until late last year. Not sure why I suddenly got the bug but it being cheaper than a car I had very little convincing (of myself) to do!

I finally decided on a Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS though was toying with getting a 600 (second hand) for a while. Apparently it has enough about it to be a joy to ride yet quite forgiving of the many mistakes that I am bound to make.

Basically I just wanted to thank you all for the vast quantities of information available here.I've learnt a little about a little with a lot more to learn.

I do find it interesting how much easier it is for me to get a permit here (Switzerland) compared to all the courses that you need to do in Ireland before even touching a bike. Tomorrow (weather permitting, it just started snowing again) I'll be jumping on a bike for the first time as I drive away from the garage (this is in stark contrast to getting a car licence where you have to do 12+hrs of courses + theory test before you can even look at a car).

If anyone has any questions on the Swiss system or the new Ninja 300 I'll be happy to answer if I can. I'll be sure to pick your brains if I need to :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Best of luck with the new purchase (nice choice) and welcome to the world of biking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Welcome to biking.. Nice little motor you've gotten youself, some of my best biking memories are from the days of ripping around on 125, 250 and 350's.

If you ever come across these guys on your Swiss travels give 'em a big ol' wave, they're a great Swiss MCC & sound lads.

Safe riding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Congrats, well wear and keep it lit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

wear well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

I collected my first bike just over a week ago and its some feeling. Frightening, but oh so good :pac: Good luck and stay safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 hare

Good luck.mines is in the shed till this snow moves,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Good time to start out, coz as soon as the starter wobbles are gone....ITS SUMMER TIME!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Good time to start out, coz as soon as the starter wobbles are gone....ITS SUMMER TIME!!!!

Says this as its snowing in dublin lol.

Honestly i started mid-winter and I am happy I did. I would consider myself an all year rider though. Sun,Snow or Rain it doesnt matter. Im gonna be riding either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

if you have absoluetly zero biking experience, you should consider getting a miniAL amount of lessons defore you go having an accident like, dropping your new bike on top of your self when you cant figure out how to operate the side stand, or before you anti counter steer int othe first corner you hit at speed
    just saying like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

I've already inquired about getting some lessons and doing the 12 hour mandatory course but so far have done a little (much less than I'd hoped because of snow) and no real problems.

For those of you interested I've written a looooooong (very) post on my first days experience here

• Advertisement
Advertisement