Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving UPC a second chance !

Options
  • 24-03-2013 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

So I got UPC last year when I moved into my house in Clane, Kildare. Had an absolute nightmare with constant disconnections which were not fixed after multiple engineer visits, Finally had enough and cancelled , forking up €200 cancellation fee.

I have since been with eircom and while I cant fault the service or reliability the price is just too high for the speed. €59 per month for 13mb and phone.

So I noticed UPC doing 150mb and phone for €52 per month ( €35 for 6 months ) so i decided to give them another go, one year later.

In fairness to them they organised an engineer to come and replace the cabling in the house where it should have been a self install job. I really hope it works, if not I will be cancelling within the 7 day cooling off period and sticking with Eircom :mad:

Engineer comes tomorrow so will update after a few days use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its still happening to people...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

ED E wrote: »
    Its still happening to people...

What exactly is still happening to people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

What exactly is still happening to people?

This I presume
    Strituck wrote: »
    constant disconnections which were not fixed after multiple engineer visits

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yes, his sounds like the problems many of us have been having with downstream speeds going to sh1t and the modem randomly rebooting.

Mine has recovered in the last few weeks but I've had to nag at them for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

So an update ..

Engineer came today and replaced the cable from the road into my house, changed some cable in the house too. Nice lad , really helpful.

Connected up the modem, running good. Getting 100mb so no complaints. Had to go out for an hour or so so left the computer on with some software pinging google every 5 seconds.

Came back to ........ 10 disconnections within that hour :mad:

Have called UPC and told them I am cancelling. Guy on the phone said he would escalate it up but I dont think anything can be done. Told them I would give them a few days to try and sort it but if no luck I would be cancelling within the 7 days.

Shame really. Hope they can fix it, but not betting anything on it.

• Advertisement

So a final update on this.

I have just had an engineer leave my house. He witnessed first hand the service disconnecting randomly. He was using his own laptop and was unable to get online. When he finally did he logged into some server and pulled up a load of graphs and told me that the connection has not dropped since it was installed on Monday.

I told him obviously that it had many times and I showed him the disconnection logs that I had. I asked him what about when he could not connect a few mins ago because the service had disconnected and he told me :

"Must be a problem with Google, everything looks fine to me"

Is this guy for real ?? He said that he would have the network team monitor the connection for the next few days and he would call me back. I told him that there was no need. His Google comment made my mind up for me. Have just spoken to Customer Service and cancelled the service. They guy on the phone was nice and even tried to switch me from Sky to their TV. I imagine if there was a problem with the picture it would be an RTE problem lol.

Its a shame, I really wanted the UPC to work :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Sounds exactly like what was happening to me originally.

I ended up cancelling the 1st time over it. Went back 2nd time and all is grand.

Originally I had the Cisco EPC2425 (http://sburke.eu/blog/2010/07/cisco-epc2425-home-router-upc/) and it was the problem. Second time round I got the Thompson Broadband Router (UPC) Model: TWG870 (http://sburke.eu/blog/2011/01/thompson-broadband-router-upc-model-twg870/) and haven't had an issue since.

I knew it was a modem/router issue but UPC were having none of it. I wanted them to replace the Cisco with the Thompson then and they wouldn't. When I inquired about coming back it was only on the condition I got the Thompson router.

I cancelled outside the cooling off period and did not pay the cancellation charge and also had my account marked for me to be treated as a new customer if I returned.

I had the Thomson modem originally the last time and they replaced it with another one. I then went through 2 cisco modems then and now 1 Cisco modem now.

Im sure they think I am a pain in the ass but the way the service was dropping 10 times in an hour is not usable.

Before I lived in Clane I was living at home in Clonee and we had UPC there for years and years and it was faultless. Dont know what the problem is out in Clane ?

Fecking stuck with Eircom lol. Thinking of Sky for broadband but hearing mixed reviews to be honest. Anybody have any experience. I can get unlimited broadband and phone for €30 per month versus Eircoms €60

Advertisement