Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must sees in Berlin/Where to eat

• 24-03-2013 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

Jewish memorial
    Brandenburg Gate
    Reichstag
    the above 3 are within 5/10 mins walk of each other!!

Get on the otur bus for 1/2 hour and you will get an immediate idea of what to do, ask the presenter dude/dudess after it for any recs, they are all fairly sound
    There is a ton of museums around. Go to the victory monument and walk up the stairs for a great view of the city, pretty cool.

Friday night, go to panorama bar/berghain club - the best club in the world, electronic music with a serious sound sytem in an old power plant building, things don't get going til late as in after 2am but it opens 11pm, you can get a stamp and come back, look on their website to see whos playing and mention it to the bouncers(sven - big beard, peirced to the guts and barbed wire tattooed across his face), if you have trouble getting in, trust me this is a must see, note: no photos to be taken inside, toilets are mixed and no mirrors in the toilets. Quite an amazing club :)

It's an amazingly interesting city in general, with lots to do and see, as you can imagine, the history is immense!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yugioh

shed head wrote: »
    Jewish memorial
    Brandenburg Gate
    Reichstag
    the above 3 are within 5/10 mins walk of each other!!

Get on the otur bus for 1/2 hour and you will get an immediate idea of what to do, ask the presenter dude/dudess after it for any recs, they are all fairly sound
    There is a ton of museums around. Go to the victory monument and walk up the stairs for a great view of the city, pretty cool.

Friday night, go to panorama bar/berghain club - the best club in the world, electronic music with a serious sound sytem in an old power plant building, things don't get going til late as in after 2am but it opens 11pm, you can get a stamp and come back, look on their website to see whos playing and mention it to the bouncers(sven - big beard, peirced to the guts and barbed wire tattooed across his face), if you have trouble getting in, trust me this is a must see, note: no photos to be taken inside, toilets are mixed and no mirrors in the toilets. Quite an amazing club :)

It's an amazingly interesting city in general, with lots to do and see, as you can imagine, the history is immense!

On Friday nights only the Panorama bar bit is open, so not the full experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I just posted this on another thread about Berlin - everything is very accessible by foot, but having the option of the bus/u-bahn is great, so the welcome card is great for that.

I highly recommend the insider walking tours - a great way to see the city and possibly even meet up with other people you can hang out with. It's also a good way to get your barings as everything really is within walking distance, although on the U-bahn it can seem miles away because you change lines, but if you were to walk it's like 10 mins! I also recommend getting a welcome ticket which will cover you for bus and rail travel within certain zones. Don't bother with the open-top tour - instead get the 100 or 200 bus - these go the same routes as the hop-on hop-off tourist buses. Invest in a decent city guide and it will be every bit as good as the tour buses (which I hear can be pretty bad as far as the commentary goes!). The welcome card will cover your travel on the bus so it means you get the benefit of the hop-on/off bus but at no extra cost!

Even if you are not a museum person, you have to visit the Pergemon muesum - out of this world. Also, book in advance for a tour of the dome of the Reichstag - you have to book in advance. Sadly we didn't get to do this, but it is definitely on my list if I ever return.

So first stop - the walking tour which will help you get your barings, meet others and also you can pick the guide's brains for places to go too!

Enjoy Berlin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

this is a cool way to see the city.

http://fattirebiketours.com/berlin

also the tour guides can give you tips as to what is happening and where to go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The tour buses can give a sanitised version of where you are passing. See does your guide point out Opernplatz now called Bebelplatz (off Unter den Linden), where the book burnings by Nazis were held in May 1933.

I've taken bus tours with a number of companies in Berlin and only one guide mentioned it. When I realised what they were leaving out, I wondered how much else I wasn't being told about.

They all managed to mention the hotel where Michael Jackson 'dangled' his baby from the window.

The walking tours are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

spurious wrote: »
    The tour buses can give a sanitised version of where you are passing. See does your guide point out Opernplatz now called Bebelplatz (off Unter den Linden), where the book burnings by Nazis were held in May 1933.

I've taken bus tours with a number of companies in Berlin and only one guide mentioned it. When I realised what they were leaving out, I wondered how much else I wasn't being told about.

They all managed to mention the hotel where Michael Jackson 'dangled' his baby from the window.

The walking tours are good.
    This is why I recommend avoiding the bus tours and instead use your welcome card and take the 100 and 200 buses. If you have a decent book or audio guide then you will have a good tour at significantly less cost.

The waking tour I found to be really good - very unbiased, balanced and even gave us the heads-up on some of the tourist spots worth missing! Such as checkpoint Charlie! Our guide was excellent and very informed and passionate. Highly recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

http://www.whitetrashfastfood.com/

an interesting restaurant/gig venue and about 10 minutes walk from Park Inn, also there is a really cool Pizza place just past this place called I Due Forni both on Schönhauser Allee great pizzas. Have not been to too many German type places.
    Berlin is a great place. Enjoy.

Advertisement