Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand iPhone

Options
  • 24-03-2013 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I want to get a second hand iPhone for my father and need some advice on what to look for. Basics are:
    • He currently has a ready to go Vodafone sim - can he keep this number and change to a ready to go data plan, or would he need to get a contract?
    • His sim is an older, larger one - not one of the newer small ones. Is this an issue?
    • What do I need to look out for in the ad, locked/unlocked etc?

The reason for the second hand iPhone is that he's getting into geocaching and as my brother and I have iPhones at least we could help him with it! No point in buying a new phone until we know how much he'll like or use it.

Any advice would be great - am bit really sure what I should be looking out for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Kerryite wrote: »
    He currently has a ready to go Vodafone sim - can he keep this number and change to a ready to go data plan, or would he need to get a contract?

No contract needed, he can change plans or change networks to whatever plans he likes. Post more info on what he wants to spend etc you might get some help on this.
    [*]His sim is an older, larger one - not one of the newer small ones. Is this an issue?

He can get a sim in store to suit, its not an issue, just make sure you get the right one for the model you get.
    [*]What do I need to look out for in the ad, locked/unlocked etc?

Unlocked if you want be flexible with networks. If one is locked to Vodafone, and he is staying with them, it will do. Doesn't matter between billpay or payg, the same network is fine. Just note that vodafone UK is not vodafone ROI so that wont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kerryite

Thanks Davy.

I'm hoping to pick up a phone on donedeal (even an iPhone 3 would do to start) so price depends on what's available. I haven't done much looking yet to be honest. Obviously the cheaper the better, once it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Thanks Davy.

I'm hoping to pick up a phone on donedeal (even an iPhone 3 would do to start) so price depends on what's available. I haven't done much looking yet to be honest. Obviously the cheaper the better, once it works!

Sister site of boards is http://www.adverts.ie/ which will give you some options. Also for specific Apple questions just want to let know of :Apple devices, and here more general mobiles questions.

Advertisement