Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internet -> eircom router1 -> wireless bridge -> eircom router 2

Options
  • 24-03-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

guys, sorry if that already was on forum but i search and read many posts and i'm just tired to search more. here's my question: is it possible to make connection/setup (without any extra hardware like powerline adapters). the setup would look like this: internet -> eircom router1 -> wireless bridge -> eircom router 2.

routers eircom netopia

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Are trying to make a connection over wireless to the second router? Don't think that's going to work for you with what you've got. I can't see how you'd get the second eircom box to be a wireless client.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

See the diagram here, I'm using 2 links us wrt54g routers flashed with the dd-wrt firmware. I don't know if there is firmware available for the eircom routers.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

i thought eircome router is a modem cum router. so not sure if you can use it as router2. a generic router will definitely work when connected to the wifi bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The Eircom router is a POS, it does what it does but is not worth anything. For functions like wireless bridging you need a better router

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    The Eircom router is a POS, it does what it does but is not worth anything. For functions like wireless bridging you need a better router

This pretty much however, depending on the netopia model what's suggested in the OP is do-able. Just don't expect it to be rock solid.

@Raddec, if you have one of those silver Netopias you should be able to set the second router to enable WAN/LAN turnaround which will effectively turn it into a switch and you can plug that using a standard catV cable into your wireless bridge. This will allow you to connect up to three items on the far end via cable, for more cabled devices you'll need to buy more hardware. You may need to play around with the wireless settings on the eircom router as well, I had problems with one in the past when connecting a TP-Link wireless repeater until I set the update interval to never rather than every hour.

My advice however is to get some powerline adapters and a proper switch. How many items are you hoping to connect on the far end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

you cant wireless bridge with eircom routers

you could try this instead

eircom router 1 -> powerline plug 1 -> powerline plug 2 -> eircom router 2

eircom now sell powerline adapters that they will give tech support for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

you cant wireless bridge with eircom routers

you could try this instead

eircom router 1 -> powerline plug 1 -> powerline plug 2 -> eircom router 2

eircom now sell powerline adapters that they will give tech support for

Ah, I assumed the wireless bridge was a discrete device rather than being the actual connection between the two netopias which they definitely cannot do.

Advertisement