Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battery help needed

• 24-03-2013 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭

I have a honda XL600V '99 and over the past few months I've had some battery problems. The battery is only a year old after the previous one got knackered after an attempted robbery.

With the cold weather it completely drained after I hadn't driven for a few days. It would run for awhile, then need another boast. Today it charged in an hour or so, but wasn't able to tick over. It has a YB14-B2, doing a search on batteryworld.ie it says I need a YB12A-B. It has a numex for sale at €70. I think my current battery €40.

Is there a difference between the battery manufacturers?

While doing a search I came across Lithium Ion Batteries for bikes. Probably overkill for what I need, but curious if anybody had used them.
    http://www.skyrichbattery.com/p586/HJB12-FP%3Cbr-/%3ELithium-Ion-Battery-YB12A-A/product_info.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

tadcan wrote: »

Is there a difference between the battery manufacturers?
    Yes, and more importantly the way you maintain your battery is critical.
    Personally I would go for a Motobatt or Oddyssey.
    AGM batteries self discharge less than conventional free acid batteries.
    If you want to buy a conventional battery Yuasa is OEM on most Japanese bikes.

If you aren't riding it every day then get a smart charger and use it.
    I have had an Optimate for over 10years now and it still gets used all the time.
    Other people have had good success with different brands of smart charger, except the Lidl and Aldi ones.
    I would stay away from Lithium batteries unless weight is absolutely critical, they need special chargers to make them work well,conventional chargers don't work very well at all with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Thanks CJhaughey. I've ordered a Motobatt battery, and an Optimate Accumate charger. I had been using a Lidl charger, so the combo with that and a cheap battery wasn't doing me any favours. Had ordered new oil and air filter which is due in a few days. So with any luck I can have trouble free driving.

So if the bike is not being used for a few days I should take it out and leave it on trickle charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

tadcan wrote: »
    Thanks CJhaughey. I've ordered a Motobatt battery, and an Optimate Accumate charger. I had been using a Lidl charger, so the combo with that and a cheap battery wasn't doing me any favours. Had ordered new oil and air filter which is due in a few days. So with any luck I can have trouble free driving.

So if the bike is not being used for a few days I should take it out and leave it on trickle charge?
    The Optimate can be left connected all the time, they won't overcharge the battery.
    You should get a set of leads that you can connect to the battery permanently and just plug the charger in as you need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,401 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nothing at all wrong with the 10 euro Lidl charger, I've been using one for 2 or 3 years now. It can be left connected to the bike.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement