Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you call this type of plug

Options
  • 24-03-2013 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

From China but what do you call this type of plug as I want to get a 3pin adaptor for it. Not sure what to search for.

adaptor_zps4d8d082b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Looks like a standard US plug.
    Bear in mind that you'll need an adapter with a voltage transformer if there's none already built into that plug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Not sure what to search for.

201303242044.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

maki wrote: »
    Looks like a standard US plug.
    Bear in mind that you'll need an adapter with a voltage transformer if there's none already built into that plug.

Not necessarily, if the device works from 100-240 Volt you won't need a transformer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 xamanap

Type A, NEMA 1, 2 poles, USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Torqay wrote: »
    Not necessarily, if the device works from 100-240 Volt you won't need a transformer.

Aye that's what I meant when I said if it had a transformer built in to the current plug.
    Most consumer devices these days do have a transformer of some sort, but there's the odd few that don't, and won't hesitate to explode if you're not careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Torqay wrote: »
    201303242044.jpg

that looks the job all right, would this do the job as well.

$(KGrHqV,!k8FEL89TNcHBRG75tbeOw~~60_57.JPG

The plug I posted is a charger for a tablet, its AC 110/240v and output
    5v 2A

• Registered Users Posts: 25,453 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes, either of those will do. Essentially what you're looking for is a travel adapter for a person from the US arriving here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If it is a genuine 110 - 240 VAC charger then simply cut the 2 pin plug off and put a 3 pin plug there instead - about 1 euro. Unless, of course, you intend travelling to the US regularly, whereby the adapter is probably best - about 2 euro.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

ZENER wrote: »
    If it is a genuine 110 - 240 VAC charger then simply cut the 2 pin plug off and put a 3 pin plug there instead - about 1 euro. Unless, of course, you intend travelling to the US regularly, whereby the adapter is probably best - about 2 euro.

Ken

Thats normally what I would do, but unfortunately the two prongs are part of the charger unit.

Thanks lads I'll pick up an adaptor.

Advertisement