Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a cordless angle grinder

Options
  • 24-03-2013 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi,

As the title says, I am looking for a cordless angle grinder in Galway. If anyone knows where I could buy or rent one cheap enough please let me know. Or If anyone has one, I'd appreciate the loan of one for a couple of hours. I'll repay you with a box of beers.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

Eireann81 wrote: »
    Hi,

As the title says, I am looking for a cordless angle grinder in Galway. If anyone knows where I could buy or rent one cheap enough please let me know. Or If anyone has one, I'd appreciate the loan of one for a couple of hours. I'll repay you with a box of beers.

Thanks.
    Try these
    CAULFIELD INDUSTRIAL LTD

TUAM RD GALWAY
    Phone: <snarf>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

slickmcvic. You can send on the phone number in a PM to Eireann81

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

There's a tool rental place in Westside. It's called DAI Hire. www.daihire.ie

If you turn in at Dominos Pizza / Subway it's toward the end beside Darraghs Carpets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

Hi,

Thanks.

Cutting off a clamp are we ?? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Hi,

Thanks.

Clampers watch out. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Eireann81

Cutting off a clamp are we ?? :P

Was it that obvious? :o

Was it that obvious? :o

Why do you think everyone was so quick to tell you where to get a grinder?? :D

Have a quick look here for tips on how to remove it legally, without getting done for criminal damage to the clamp: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79292669

Fey! wrote: »
    Why do you think everyone was so quick to tell you where to get a grinder?? :D

Have a quick look here for tips on how to remove it legally, without getting done for criminal damage to the clamp: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79292669

Thanks for that Fey. Unfortunately it's not one of those clamps. It doesn't have a chain. Maybe I should have posted in the Motors forum instead. I could actually survive without my car for a while. Does anyone know how long they'll leave a car clamped before removing the clamp themselves (if ever)? Or will they tow it? I don't think they'd legally be able to tow it but I'm not sure either.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭juicet3rry

I've seen signs at The Elms or Forster Court that say they charge €100 PER DAY. If you get the clamp off, well and good but, be careful in case you get stung for a massive fine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

juicet3rry wrote: »
    I've seen signs at The Elms or Forster Court that say they charge €100 PER DAY. If you get the clamp off, well and good but, be careful in case you get stung for a massive fine

The "fine" is for removal of the clamp, if you remove it yourself without damaging it, they can't charge you for anything.

OP post in motors, there might be someone in Galway who has a set of lock picks or the knowledge in how to remove the clamp without damaging it.

Then you can send an email or something to the clamping company and tell them you have the claim and they can collect it at their convenience from your residence.

There is absolutely nothing they can do once you don't damage the clamp or lock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭juicet3rry

I'm pretty sure I saw a sign stating the the release fee was calculated per day so if the OP is unsuccessful in removing the clamp and he's parked in one of those areas, he will be better off trying to remove the clamp or pay the fine asap, in case the release fee adds up to an even more significant amount of money, if he decides to leave it for a few weeks as he/she previously mentioned.

Best of luck anyway OP. Hope you get sorted as cheaply as possible!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and support. After some research I have decided that an angle grinder probably isn't the best way to go as I'd rather not end up in court over criminal damage charges.

I'm going to leave the car there for a while and hopefully they'll remove the clamp themselves since the owners of the space are losing revenue from the space every day (pay and display 24hours). If they don't take it off I will try to remove the wheel with the clamp attached. Not sure if this is possible but I'm willing to give it a shot as I simply don't have the €100 to pay the release fee. I think there might be enough space to get a socket and breaker bar in between the clamp and the wheel.

If mods want to move this to the motor forum I don't mind. I'll keep everyone updated if they're interested as I have seen a lot of interest in previous clamping threads.

Does anyone know if my car can be towed after a certain amount of time if I don't pay up? Or is that theft :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

there was a tip going round advising to <snip>, then call the clampers to pay and remove it as normal. then if the clampers cannot remove the clamp in a timly maner they are liable for your time waiting,
    Not sure if it true or just some face book nonsence wrote be a 12yr old, worth a try

BTW i used to live in forster street and the clamps are like ninjas there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thanks to everyone for the advice and support. After some research I have decided that an angle grinder probably isn't the best way to go as I'd rather not end up in court over criminal damage charges.

I'm going to leave the car there for a while and hopefully they'll remove the clamp themselves since the owners of the space are losing revenue from the space every day (pay and display 24hours). If they don't take it off I will try to remove the wheel with the clamp attached. Not sure if this is possible but I'm willing to give it a shot as I simply don't have the €100 to pay the release fee. I think there might be enough space to get a socket and breaker bar in between the clamp and the wheel.

If mods want to move this to the motor forum I don't mind. I'll keep everyone updated if they're interested as I have seen a lot of interest in previous clamping threads.

Does anyone know if my car can be towed after a certain amount of time if I don't pay up? Or is that theft :confused:

I would try an open ended spanner or even better a flat ratchet spanner. Then you will need a piece of tube attached to the spanner. You might gain more room by deflating the tyre.

I suspect that they can legally remove the car.

Discodog wrote: »
    I would try an open ended spanner or even better a flat ratchet spanner. Then you will need a piece of tube attached to the spanner. You might gain more room by deflating the tyre.

I suspect that they can legally remove the car.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think a private clamping company could tow the car. I would have presumed that would be theft :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think a private clamping company could tow the car. I would have presumed that would be theft :confused:

The problem is that you are on someone else's property & subject to their conditions. They might claim a lien on your car in liu of the money owed.

Because of the possibility of a daily fee I would want to get my car out of there ASAP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

As long as it's a private company, you don't damage the clamp and return it after you emancipate your vehicle, I can't see an issue, be sure to check and photograph your wheels after removal and invoice them for any repairs.

Advertisement