Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,513 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm coming across as ridiculous by saying you posted a stupid comment with no proof or previous history to back it up?

Like if somebody came out and said that AJ is afraid every time he steps in the ring, what would you say about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Look, lads. There's a viewpoint here and it's backed up by facts. The body shot didnt look all that hard. It would have hurt but to finish the fight it was surprising. Now if you want to argue that the punch was hard enough then that's ok no one can be completely sure but fair enough. The next thing is how Garcia looked while he was down - quite clear, in a bit of pain but not agony. I don't think anyone argues against that. The last thing is how Garcia looked as soon as the count was over - fine. Now I understand why he didn't fancy getting walloped and suffering a huge KO because that's what was coming but I do think he decided against getting up and facing that rather than he was in no position to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,178 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No history? The chap is a baby with a handful fights. Not some 20 years career veteran..he has fought absolutely nobody. Never been in a real tough fight. He has no bloody history!!

Last night was his first fight against a quality operator, and when the going got tough, he reacted how he reacted.

your asking about Garcia’s previous history is beyond ridiculous in relation to discussing Garcia quitting last night..

Post edited by walshb on

Exactly. And because l even dared to suggest that Garcia quit I’ve had posters call it stupid and clueless.

Ridiculous. I have no problem with anyone who wants to acknowledge the points I've made above and say yea I still dont think I'd call it a dive the punch was hard enough to end it. I don't agree with that argument but at least there is a logic to it. When you need to resort to calling someone else stupid without much by the way of a counter argument then you're in bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Donaire took a far harder (and quite similar) shot off Inoue and fought on like the auld warrior he is, Garcia quit plain and simple.

He fought the wrong fight against a fighter who had him timed to a tee, reminded me of Khan vs Brook.

Garcia had 23 fights before last night, that's a lot more than a handful

He fought Javier Fortuna in his last fight.

Last night he fought the p4p best in the world.

You clearly haven't a clue about boxing. You've been talking a lot of crap on here for a long time. You go against the grain regularly and then talk absolute crap like you are about Garcia.

You saying he quit is what's ridiculous, actually it's just plain stupid. No proof he'd do that, ignore how many fighters it's happened to. Yeah just stupid.

I'm just putting you on ignore, don't want to read any more of your crap.

Talking crap out of both sides of your mouth is what you are doing if you are suggesting that Garcia quit. You haven't a clue about boxing, you know nothing about the pain associated with a body shot like that.

Onto ignore for you too. I'm not here to read stupid crap.

You’re a very agitated and angry poster when people don’t see things your way. Pathetic!

The only thing that’s ridiculous is your reaction, are you the guy that goes nuts over fury as well?

Been reading this forum long enough to know the poster you’re replying to knows his stuff and you seem like you’ve never put the gloves on before and learned everything you think you know off Reddit

is this the IQ test guy too??

• Advertisement

Jaysus, you'll be left talking to only yourself and I'd say you'll still find a way to disagree. Last week took more out of you than it did Joyce.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Garcia was hurt, but I don't think he displayed the same level of desire to get up as Tommy Coyle (for both knockdowns in round 6 and the one in round 11) against Daniel Brizuela.

I also think if that knockdown happened in the last 10 seconds of round 12, and Garcia was well ahead, he'd have found a way to will himself off the floor.

I'm not really a fan of the Q word, and fighters being labelled with it. I also don't doubt that he was hurt by that shot. But I would say if his life depended on it, he'd have found a way to get up.

Firstly I used to post regularly on this forum many years ago. I got tired of the crap that was being spouted here so didn't bother posting for a long time. The best poster moved away as well, his username is Big Ears.

Big Ears knows boxing, I'd be quite confident he was involved in the sport in some way. There were some other good posters on here years ago who knew the game very well. There's some very good posters here now too, they just get drowned out by all the crap posted by walshb.

walshb has been nothing but a troll for donkey's years. I put up with it for a long time, at least 14 years, but I'm tired of it.

Anybody claiming a fighter quit because he could have fought on after a body punch hasn't a clue about the sport. That's the last straw for me. Even if he did quit there is absolutely no reason to suspect it. The lad has no history of doing anything like that. These comments are like Donald Trump's supporters claiming the election was rigged. That was the last straw for me.

If you watched last night you'll have seen that Garcia didn't go down immediately. He backed up and then went down to one knee. He started to get up twice during the count but winced in pain from the effort. I'm certain he didn't quit.

As for me, I boxed when I was young but had to quit due to an eye problem which I still have.

I was brought to the national stadium at least 20 times every year from the age of 6 until my mid teens when I was old enough to go myself.

I was trained to judge fights by a legend named Tom Foxe who managed the Irish boxing team at the Barcelona Olympics. He was a family friend and somebody I got very close to.

I got to know Mick Dowling, Paul Buttimer, Hughie Russell Barry McGuigan and Wayne McCullough amongst others.

McGuigan was a family friend too, I was in his parents house the night he returned to Clones with the world title.

I went to school with the Carruth triplets for a few years, we used to mess around with boxing, at school and in their front garden from five years of age until I left Walkinstown at 8 years of age. Michael hit harder than his two brothers but they were all good at that age. I was heavily involved in the sport up until about fifteen years ago when I moved down the country after I got married.

I still attend amateur boxing regularly. I've been to plenty of pro fights too. I had a subscription to the Ring Magazine from 1988 until 2008 when I moved down the country. I coached kids for over twenty years.

None of the above means I'm an expert and am always right. I regularly get things wrong about how a fight will go or about an upcoming prospect.

Anyway I will stay around for a while longer now that I've put those two on ignore but if there's more like that I'll leave.

If you think I know nothing about the sport you are very mistaken. If you think walshb knows his stuff you are sadly mistaken.

Let’s all just calm down and settle this like real men. IQ test!!!!!!

I agree with this. But this could now see you labeled as someone who hasn’t a clue about the sport; daring to suggest that a fighter quit, or to put it less bluntly, decided he didn’t want to carry on. There should be no dislike of the word quit.. it happens in all walks of human life, and we are all capable of it. Part of being human.

Post edited by walshb on

Andy Ruiz: not sure what ‘should have risked his life’ is needed for.

“I was going for Ryan, but he gave up, man. I feel like he gave up. I feel like he should’ve did what he had to do to win the fight.

“When we get [knocked] down, we’ve got to get back up, man. We’ve got to ask God for that victory. I feel like that’s what he should’ve done.

“I still feel Ryan should’ve did more, man. He should’ve risked his life more.”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

can you put yourself on ignore too just in case you start another argument or challenge yourself to an IQ test lol

The internet isn’t for everyone

And there was me thinking Joshua would win the most absurd tantrum of the year award.

I’d love to see the reaction to Big Ears’ post as well. Another ignore for being clueless. That is an impressive boxing cv, well done. Maintaining a friendship with McGuigan is the most impressive part.

Many boxers past and present have suggested that Garcia had more to give. The Q word isn’t nice I agree but that doesn’t mean it’s inaccurate.

What has me scratching my head is that with all that boxing experience and contacts and involvement for years and years, and to then get so uptight and offended and exasperated because of a simple disagreement. Some think that he quit, and some don't....

Hardly a life changing disagreement.....and this then gets you labeled as not having a clue about the sport.......

Anyway, best to thread carefully now, as the poster has said anymore crap talk and he will leave!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Advertisement

Our very own Luke Caffrey went 4-0 with a 1st round stoppage yesterday evening. He’s an exciting fighter who’s starting to make a name for himself around Manchester.

So many promising looking young Irish pros at the minute between Pierce O’Leary, Cully, Carty, Moran, Caffrey there’s plenty to keep an eye on.

Just on Garcia and where he goes from here. Moving to 140 now. For me he will do well as long as he is matched against certain opponents.

Reminds me a lot of Amir Khan, only not as good. That same tight/frenetic/hyper style: Will always get found out when he steps up.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reclose

What’s the point of personal insults when disagreeing over a boxing match? Just argue your points respectfully. If everyone had the same opinion the forum would be pointless.

It’s ok to have different opinions. The only person who knows the truth is Ryan…and I still haven’t seen the fight.

Yes. Spot on. No idea why anyone would get so hot under the collar about such benign disagreements.

as to Ryan only knowing the truth: if we were to apply this “rule” then there would be no such thing as anyone quitting under similar circumstances. All about levels I guess.

on a 1-10 scale of did he quit, with 10 being a certainty, he’s an 8 for me.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Yea I’m pretty sure about it, he was hurt but not in agony. I rather say decided rather than quit. I’m not disgusted with him or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Garcia opted out in my opinion and that’s his choice, sometimes the mind takes over and looks for a way out even when the body is capable of so much more

he’s now saying he was betrayed by one of his team, no idea what that’s about tbh

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

Boxers never make excuses but always make excuses!

Advertisement