Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭squinn2912

What’s the thinking for Wood vs Warrington? Bookies had Wood away ahead earlier in the week but it’s come back a bit since. I think it’s gonna be a tight one. Depends on Warrington’s engine. I think he could win it. Haven’t heard a word about Lara since the Wood fight. Shame, he looked like the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,161 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Close to elite I’d say. And definitely good enough and heavy handed enough to whup Charlo performing like he did last week

If Wood can’t KO Billy goat Warrington, I reckon Billy goat takes it on points. Wood is just not that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

That Wood finish came out of absolutely nowhere!!

He really is a fighter worth watching. He's never out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,424 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Wood looked totally lost in that fight he was switching his stance and forgetting he was going southpaw, he blamed the hits to the back of the head but I’m guessing he’s weight drained, he has no snap to his jab or power to his shots, josh was 1/10 to win at the start of round 6 and then woods came out of nowhere and blasted josh into next week with some heavy shots while his guard was down

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

Have it recorded. Delighted Wood won.. hopefully that’s the last world title shot Warrington gets

• Registered Users Posts: 10,047 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Warrington would have been a great fighter if he’d even had a touch of power.

Wood is very chinny and I can’t see him doing anything at 130lbs.

Very entertaining fight all the same.

Warrington, albeit past his best fought very hard and tough. He’s just a bit chinny. Wood was landing quite a fair birra leather before he tagged him.

Very good follow ups after the first slashing right hook. Landed two more hard shots that sealed the deal. For me it wasn’t out of nowhere. Wood was landing frequently enough, and the shots were always close to finishers. Yes, Josh winning, but taking a fair bit

That was an impressive ko he obviously has power and used it a bit like the MC fight. Warrtington’s style was always going to lead to him getting sparked when his reactions slowed. That face first style is just asking for it. I think Wood gets a bit of a bad press. His fights are exciting. A weight above and he will be annihilated

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

What's next for Terence Crawford? Canelo at 168 should be a non-runner. Maybe not quite as crazy as Mikey Garcia against Spence but...Be a real pity if there are no meaningful fights for him after that performance against Spence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,510 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Canelo offered to go down to 160 to fight Spence. Will he offer Bud the same option for what would probably be close to the biggest money fight ever?

Bud says he'll go to 168 but said he'd rather the fight at 160.

He's suggesting Canelo wants nothing to do with him.

I think Canelo’s days of going down the way are done now. No way he goes to 160. At 168 its too far for Bud to go up.

Yes, I think 160 bit too much for Canelo to make. I think, at times far too much jostling made about weight..

Canelo is a small SMW, has heaps miles on the clock, isn’t some big unit that uses size too much.. Crawford should just weigh in whatever he feels like and they should fight..

Plenty plenty ATGs have fought where one great was giving away weight on fight night. Crawford is same height as Canelo, similar reach.

Crawford should look to what Brook did against a prime GGG; where Brook moved up 14 lbs and gave it a real go against a stronger and bigger man (who is more a physical pressure fighter than Canelo). Crawford clearly superior to Brook, so go up and give it a go against any weight Canelo wants.

I agree but it’s a bit like the nonsense going on at HW, ridiculous demands made that can’t be met. Not a big fan of catchweight but for this fight maybe.

Yea it’s at the stage now where Canelo (more than ever) needs to pick very carefully or cash in on a huge payday.

I think GGG was just about starting to slide at that stage. Brook did ok against him but got absolutely battered and that was the beginning of the end for him, he never had the right teak toughness after that. Kahn did similarly (maybe even better) well against Canelo but it had the massive ko to make you forget that. Crawford would batter both any version of those two on the same night but he would be in real danger with Canelo. Bud is a victim of his own greatness. He doesn’t have a challenge at his own weight and he overcame Spence with such conclusivity that that the victory looks ordinary. Tough at the top.

If Crawford bulks up somewhat and is sturdy enough, and can take Canelo’s power (which is nothing extraordinary), I’d back Crawford. Crawford has so much tools/skills.

Jon fooking Ryder made it 12. A pathetic and timid Charlo made it 12. Canelo is not a finisher.

Crawford for me 9/10 times at 160-168. Crawford high 150s fight night is well capable..

Hagler and Ray were high 150s for their weigh-in 1987..Crawford is as big a WW as Ray was. Ray moved to 160 and beat a Hagler. Crawford absolute ripped at 147

I wonder what weight Crawford was fight night v Spence. Must a been mid to high 150s

Canelo has an awful lot of miles on the clock at this point and has been cherry picking for longer than a while. Reminds me a little bit of when Ward was starting to slide and he got away when the time was right.

That said, the hit that landed on Kahn would ice Crawford too. I’d be supporting Bud big time but I think Canelo’s strength would be telling, unless he;s more on the slide than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,424 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Buatsi v azeez postponed due to the latter injuring his back on his final training session

The internet isn’t for everyone

No way. Ruined my week..

Bustsi’s career is about as inspiring as our weather.

Surely Buatsi was going to win that one handy enough anyway. What a pain that is.

Joe Cordina card on DAZN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Robert Nairac

That O'Shaquie Foster-Rocky Hernandez fight a few weeks ago was dramatic and worth watching

Post edited by Robert Nairac on

It got better the longer it went.

And the 11th was a classic round. One of the best I've seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,510 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

IBF have already stripped Bud of his belt.

The crooked side of boxing is alive and well.

Shakur became 3-weight WC last night. Awful performance. Spent the night throwing a jab and jumping backwards.

Very good-looking card on BT/TNT sport tonight.

Seven title bouts, I believe. Some very good matchups. Well worth catching.

Not a bad FW British title fight here..Collins nicking most rds

Very poor HW match up there. So boring. This next one has a bit of promise

Impressive finish there..

• Advertisement

Yea very good. He was very jaw in the air to get caught in the 3rd but good pressure fighter. I’d worry about him at world level when he tastes real power. Italian was very face first.

Advertisement