Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Another clear example of corruption in boxing. Disgrace that Smith is getting another world title shot.

https://twitter.com/CarolinBluechel/status/863480952298901504

pac_man wrote: »
    Noticed he's ranked higher than Arthur Abraham despite the fact, Abraham beat him twice. Its laughable. Hearn has done a hell of a job getting him these world titles from out of nowhere.

Yep. Brown envelopes involved for sure. Went from being ranked #20 to #5 despite the fact he hasn't boxed at 168 for over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,148 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Paul Smith is a has been, and even when he was in his prime he was domestic level..

walshb wrote: »
    Paul Smith is a has been, and even when he was in his prime he was domestic level..

Yep. Best win is still Tony Dodson.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Hey Walshb, I see your man is headlining a heavyweight world title bid in the US later tonight. . . . . Sadly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

He is living off the fact that Abraham took him lightly one night for a voluntary defense, fair play to Hearn for backing his figthers & Zeuge is nothing to write home about but this is laughable.

Does Hearn not have anyone else in his stable that would be more suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭rebelomar

I've always thought of Smith as a very well balanced fighter...

He's got a chip on both shoulders!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Joshua Wlad 2 happening in Cardiff on October 28th is doing the rounds

He won last night. I hope that doesn't give him the confidence to think that he still has it.

No doubt he will be back in again soon. Whoever is granting him a licence is some eejit.

He won last night. I hope that doesn't give him the confidence to think that he still has it.

A devastating KO win I hear!

• Advertisement

Mike Perez fights Tommy McCarthy June 10 at the Odyssey Arena, Belfast. Kind of came out of nowhere this one. Sky Sports Eddie Hearn card!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Mikey Garcia facing Adrien Broner on July 29th at 140lbs.
    Not sure if Broner can do the weight...

Broner gonna get murdered. Maidana-esque beat down. Should be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

Yeah I recon you're right normanoffside. He hasn't made that weight in a while.

Broner is a small WW. His issues at 140 are more discipline than size. He comes across as an eater!

If he prepares well and makes weight effectively, Garcia will not just walk through him.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Broner gonna get murdered. Maidana-esque beat down. Should be great.

Garcia is not at all like Maidana. Maidana's kind of reckless in your face aggression really bothered Broner, just like it did TBE. Garcia is a patient and methodical boxer-puncher who will give Broner time and space. That should suit Broner. I see nothing to suggest that this fight will at all mirror the Maidana loss.

Both Broner's losses were to very physically imposing and aggressive opponents. Garcia is not like them. So, it comes down to making weight for Broner. He makes it well he gives himself every chance to win.

Garcia is not at all like Maidana. Maidana's kind of reckless in your face aggression really bothered Broner, just like it did TBE. Garcia is a patient and methodical boxer-puncher who will give Broner time and space. That should suit Broner. I see nothing to suggest that this fight will at all mirror the Maidana loss.

Both Broner's losses were to very physically imposing and aggressive opponents. Garcia is not like them. So, it comes down to making weight for Broner. He makes it well he gives himself every chance to win.

Not comparing them stylistically at all just saying I can see Garcia hurting Broner to the same extent that Maidana did if not more.

Garcia is one of the most accurate punchers in the sport and Broner has one of the better chins. I can see Garcia inflicting 12 rounds of fairly brutal punishment tbh. Broner shelling up, sitting against the ropes throwing **** all back.

Garcia is better than Broner in literally every way. The different levels will show on fight night. It's not a competitive fight.

Not comparing them stylistically at all just saying I can see Garcia hurting Broner to the same extent that Maidana did if not more.

I kind of figured that. I still think that Garcia not being as in your face and physically strong as the other two will allow Broner to perform better. Broner was bullied by bigger men in those losses, and he hadn't the tools in abundance to combat or offset against it, nor the power to stop it or discourage it.

I am going to root for Broner in this one....putting aside the fact that he is a grade A pr1ck!

I kind of figured that. I still think that Garcia not being as in your face and physically strong as the other two will allow Broner to perform better. Broner was bullied by bigger men in those losses, and he hadn't the tools in abundance to combat or offset against it, nor the power to stop it or discourage it.

I am going to root for Broner in this one....putting aside the fact that he is a grade A pr1ck!

I think Broner might look ok for the first three rounds maybe but Mikey is often a slow starter and the levels will show. Garcia is a far better pure boxer than Porter, Maidana or Broner. His accuracy and timing is elite level and he'll get to Broner.

Big Maidana fan but he doesn't half telegraph a lot of his punches. Even in the Broner fight, Broner rolls with a lot of Maidana's big shots as he sees them coming. He's not going to have that luxury against Garcia who's gonna catch him flush time and time again.

Mikey Garcia still gets so underrated. The number of people I saw picking Zlaticanin to beat him was amazing. He might be a top 5 talent in the sport or at least borderline top 5. Broner just isn't in the same class. This will be Mikey's breakout fight into the mainstream.

The Mike Perez-Tommy McCarthy fight is off I hear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

I think Broner might look ok for the first three rounds maybe but Mikey is often a slow starter and the levels will show. Garcia is a far better pure boxer than Porter, Maidana or Broner. His accuracy and timing is elite level and he'll get to Broner.

Big Maidana fan but he doesn't half telegraph a lot of his punches. Even in the Broner fight, Broner rolls with a lot of Maidana's big shots as he sees them coming. He's not going to have that luxury against Garcia who's gonna catch him flush time and time again.

Mikey Garcia still gets so underrated. The number of people I saw picking Zlaticanin to beat him was amazing. He might be a top 5 talent in the sport or at least borderline top 5. Broner just isn't in the same class. This will be Mikey's breakout fight into the mainstream.

As a big Mikey fan, I really hope you're right, but honestly I think you're underestimating Broner.

Don't forget Mikey looked pretty poor in his first comeback bout, then he faced Zlat whose style is made for someone like Mikey. I hope the Zlat fight wasn't a case of the opponent making him look good and Mikey is back to his best. If he is, I think he wins a close one, but if he annihilates Broner there will be nobody happier than me.

megadodge wrote: »
    As a big Mikey fan, I really hope you're right, but honestly I think you're underestimating Broner.

Don't forget Mikey looked pretty poor in his first comeback bout, then he faced Zlat whose style is made for someone like Mikey. I hope the Zlat fight wasn't a case of the opponent making him look good and Mikey is back to his best. If he is, I think he wins a close one, but if he annihilates Broner there will be nobody happier than me.

What does Broner do better than Mikey though? All he has in his advantage is size but he's not the type of fighter to properly utilise that advantage I feel. Are we forgetting that he could have easily lost to Granados last time out in a razor close fight?

I'm ultra confident there is levels between them. If Broner has to kill himself to make weight than it only plays it into Mikeys favour more so if the fight enters the latter rounds.

Eubank Jr. to face Artur Abraham on July 15th. I know Abraham is a long way from what he once was but it is still a big step up from Eubank Jr.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Eubank Jr. to face Artur Abraham on July 15th. I know Abraham is a long way from what he once was but it is still a big step up from Eubank Jr.

I think an ageing Abraham is a perfect fight for Eubank Jr, will demolish him with speed. Abraham is tough but is slow and predictable. Clever bit of matchmaking, a decent name on his resume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Could potentially stop Abraham I think although Abraham is tough as old boots. He's a shadow of his former self though. Good fight for Eubank. You'd imagine a straight shot at De Gale or Groves if he has an impressive win.

Will be interesting to see how jnr fares out size & strength wise. Abraham has one of the tightest guards in boxing although jnr doesn't rely on the straight punches too much anyway. A good opportunity to get some attention if he puts Abraham away.

AA is well past it, but if he has anything left, or magically has a good day then Jnr could be in trouble. Jnr still has proved nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Billy Joe Saunders title defence in July 8th off again. Khurtsidze arrested in NY.

I'd love to see Lemieux or Monroe Jr get a shot at him, maybe even Andy Lee again. Sick of Saunders.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thegrowreport

Pity that - was looking forward to seeing how Saunders would cope with him.

• Advertisement

Danye wrote: »
    Billy Joe Saunders title defence in July 8th off again. Khurtsidze arrested in NY.

I'd love to see Lemieux or Monroe Jr get a shot at him, maybe even Andy Lee again. Sick of Saunders.

He badly needs to get in the ring, I assume they stick some nobody in the ring with him.

Advertisement