Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

HigginsJ wrote: »
    He badly needs to get in the ring, I assume they stick some nobody in the ring with him.

Sure why would they change the habit of a lifetime....?

Another WC that has done next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Danye

walshb wrote: »
    Sure why would they change the habit of a lifetime....?

Another WC that has done next to nothing.

Done nothing other than dodge fights, refuse people rematches and act like a tw*t on social media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Shame too, after the Eubank and Lee fights he had a perfect platform to push on. Since then he's looked bang average inside the ring, and acted like a clown outside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Danye wrote: »
    Done nothing other than dodge fights, refuse people rematches and act like a tw*t on social media.

No defending his 2016 but to be fair this year he's had GGG turn down a fight with him and a decent opponent get arrested. Bit unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Danye

Morrison J wrote: »
    No defending his 2016 but to be fair this year he's had GGG turn down a fight with him and a decent opponent get arrested. Bit unlucky.

I don't believe his version of the GGG story.

Agree he can't do anything about your man getting arrested but actively get out there and get active against the next best in the division.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I'm sick of Saunders as well. Out of the ring a whole year with no fight, and still holds on to his title while he sits around eating pies. Then fights Akavov, and loses, but gets it on the scorecard.

He's been over in Spain with Tyson Fury up to all sorts of nonsense (and posting it on social media)... and tbh, I would have thought that Adam Booth would have kicked him to the kerb at this stage. I do like Tyson Fury, and actually feel a bit sorry for the guy. But there is no way that you should allow your fighter to be hanging around with a man who is four stone overweight, and in a really bad place psychologically, when he is training for a big fight.

Billy Joe only has a few short years left to make a few quid, and he need to realise that.

Danye wrote: »
    I don't believe his version of the GGG story.

Agree he can't do anything about your man getting arrested but actively get out there and get active against the next best in the division.

His version of the GGG story was a good as confirmed by Tom Loeffler tbf. Be crazy for GGG to risk a cut etc with the money fight in Canelo on the table.

I think Saunders is looking for a test now personally. Hopefully he gets a good one before the end of the year although biding his time so he can face the Canelo v GGG winner might be his best option.

Card of the year by a landslide. Inoue makes his debut, Gonzalez gets his shot at revenge and Cuadras/Estrada has classic written all over it as well.

According to Eddie Hearn, they've made Wilder a 'huge offer' to fight Dillian Whyte. I'd imagine Wilder will accept that, handy paycheck imo. Whyte has got heart though.

Meanwhile in this World Boxing Super Series thing George Groves is the first SMW to sign up. As far as I can tell it's for the SMW and the CW divisions only, with Gassiev, Briedis and Wlodarcyzk being three 3 Cruisers signed up already.

Not a clue who else will sign up, apparently Lebedev isn't interested. If I were to guess I'd go with Groves, DeGale, Zurdo, Jack, Eubank Jr, Andre Dirrell, Zeuge and the winner of Smith/Dirrell although I'm really hoping young Benavidez can get involved, he looks absolutely phenomenal from what I have seen. Could definitely pull a Ward and upstage the others.

For Cruisers, Gassiev, Briedis, Wlodarcyzk, Usyk, Glowacki, Dorticos, Kudryashov and a toss up between Perez, Vlasov, Huck, Makabu, Shumenov.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Burial. wrote: »
    According to Eddie Hearn, they've made Wilder a 'huge offer' to fight Dillian Whyte. I'd imagine Wilder will accept that, handy paycheck imo. Whyte has got heart though.

Whyte has been pretty poor since the shoulder surgery after the Joshua fight. He got the gift against Chisora and was poor against Allen as well. Not sure the reason behind it but there is very little power coming through.

He is washed up at this point IMO, very little chance of him ever getting a title.

Meanwhile in this World Boxing Super Series thing George Groves is the first SMW to sign up. As far as I can tell it's for the SMW and the CW divisions only, with Gassiev, Briedis and Wlodarcyzk being three 3 Cruisers signed up already.

Not a clue who else will sign up, apparently Lebedev isn't interested. If I were to guess I'd go with Groves, DeGale, Zurdo, Jack, Eubank Jr, Andre Dirrell, Zeuge and the winner of Smith/Dirrell although I'm really hoping young Benavidez can get involved, he looks absolutely phenomenal from what I have seen. Could definitely pull a Ward and upstage the others.

For Cruisers, Gassiev, Briedis, Wlodarcyzk, Usyk, Glowacki, Dorticos, Kudryashov and a toss up between Perez, Vlasov, Huck, Makabu, Shumenov.

http://www.boxingscene.com/yunier-dorticos-signs-on-world-boxing-super-series--117783

Dorticos is in. CW is looking very tasty already. Dorticos could be the dark horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Seems that Rigondeaux is willing to fight Lomachenko at 130 according to his manager:

http://www.boxingscene.com/team-rigondeaux-on-lomachenko-were-calling-your-130-bluff--117905

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Seems that Rigondeaux is willing to fight Lomachenko at 130 according to his manager:

http://www.boxingscene.com/team-rigondeaux-on-lomachenko-were-calling-your-130-bluff--117905

Be very surprised if this happens. Needs to happen within 6-8 months. Loma will move to 135 by this time next year.

If Rigo really is as good as he thinks and as people seem to think then he should be able to challenge himself and move up in weight(s).

Otherwise just shut up and say that you aren't comfortable going up in weight to meet "bigger" men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

walshb wrote: »
    Be very surprised if this happens. Needs to happen within 6-8 months. Loma will move to 135 by this time next year.

Yea I agree. It's now or never. Rigo is at an age now where he can't keep fighting lesser known fighters every 9 months as his career can't have long left to run. He needs someone big on the CV other than Donaire and might be desperate enough, and short enough on time to take this at 130. August is being mentioned as the month for the bout should it go ahead.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0671058819463256342-4

Usyk, Gassiev, Briedis, Glowacki, Dorticos, Wlodarcyzk booked in...Makabu has applied. Jesus this is going to be insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Usyk, Gassiev, Briedis, Glowacki, Dorticos, Wlodarcyzk booked in...Makabu has applied. Jesus this is going to be insane.

Kudryashov has now been added https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/world-boxing-super-series-cruisers/77486

That is fantastic to see. Who would you guys fancy to take it? I have a serious gra for Usyk but it is an insanely tough field.

That is fantastic to see. Who would you guys fancy to take it? I have a serious gra for Usyk but it is an insanely tough field.

Usyk would be my bet too...his lack of power may be a factor keeping lads off him but his movement is top notch and his boxing skills are clearly the best. Gassiev and Briedis are too very solid boxer punchers. Dorticos would be my outside bet. Can box well and has power...looks like he has a chin too going from the Kalenga fight. It's really tough to call, at that weight you've lads with power that can change fights instantly. Kudrayshov is way out of his depth here but he might have the best punching power in all of Boxing. Makabu punches very hard too.

Huck added this morning. Shot fighter now unfortunately. Will be the weak link.

Big Gassiev fan. Love to see him win it. I think Usyk is the most accomplished boxer and has to be favourite. If Gassiev could get on top of him things could get interesting though with Usyk's lack of power. Cruiserweight division very underrated.

Hopefully 168 follows a similar pattern and the best join Groves in it. Love to see Benavidez take the step up and enter. Think he can beat anyone at 168.

• Advertisement

Hopefully 168 follows a similar pattern and the best join Groves in it. Love to see Benavidez take the step up and enter. Think he can beat anyone at 168.

Think the 168 division will look seriosly light weight in comparison to CW.

De Gale won't be involved, I'd be shocked if Hearn put Callum Smith near it, same for Jr.

If Gilberto Ramirez isn't involved it would lose all value. There is a servere lack of star power in the division with Ward and Jack moved on.

Groves and Zeuge both 168 lbs champions says it all about the state of play at 168 lbs

CW for me has more obvious depth.

Gassiev the pick of the bunch, but Usyk the cutest. Cuteness could be number 1 here.

Think the 168 division will look seriosly light weight in comparison to CW.

De Gale won't be involved, I'd be shocked if Hearn put Callum Smith near it, same for Jr.

If Gilberto Ramirez isn't involved it would lose all value. There is a servere lack of star power in the division with Ward and Jack moved on.
    Yep nowhere near as loaded but could still make a good fist of it I think. DeGale back by the end of the year so could get involved I'd imagine. Hearn has said Callum Smith and Jamie Cox have a good chance of inclusion. Then the Dirrell's, Eubank, Benavidez, Ramirez, Uzcategui, Zeuge. Groves already in there. Plenty of options and not a massive gulf in class between them either imo. Be very competitive.

I really like the cut of Benavidez. Looks absolutely huge for the division and the pup is only 20. 168 has been in a bad way with a while now and he could be a guy to give it some notice again. Zurdo Ramirez is top class too. Guys like De Gale and Smith are overhyped imo. Huck probably not the best addition to CW but he'll be game. Would have liked to have seen Mike Perez get involved but that looks unlikely.

I think I read somewhere that champs or top seeds get a choice of their first opponent or something like that...probably so that the title unification fights will happen in semis/final rather than right away...probably makes sense although I'm not sure how it's going to work out.

We have Crawford-Idongo in Nebraska August 19 to unify the 140 lbs division.

Sky have it...

Usyk is now confirmed. Interesting developments in the 168 bracket. Erik Skoglund a decently ranked LHW is after signing up, dropping down a weight class. I don't think he's ever fought below 175.

However what's most bizarre is that Jamie f*cking Cox is also after signing up. A joke of an addition tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭megadodge

Usyk is now confirmed. Interesting developments in the 168 bracket. Erik Skoglund a decently ranked LHW is after signing up, dropping down a weight class. I don't think he's ever fought below 175.

However what's most bizarre is that Jamie f*cking Cox is also after signing up. A joke of an addition tbh.

I saw that. I have absolutely no idea how he's being let campaign at 12 stone. I remember when he was fighting at light-middle and I thought he was too small for that and should move down to welter! And even then, he was nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

7 now confirmed for the Cruiserweight Super Series. Just one more to be confirmed. Would love to see Mike Perez but that 's a bit of a long shot.

Oleksandr Usyk (WBO), Mairis Briedis (WBC), Murat Gassiev (IBF) , Yunier Dorticos (WBO) , Marco Huck , Krzysztof Wlodarczyk, Dmitry Kudryashov

They're really pulling out all the stops for CW.

Meanwhile 168 is getting sourer and sourer. 38 y/o Jurgen Braehmer the latest to sign up. Had the regular WBA LHW belt for a few years before quitting versus Cleverly...but he hasn't fought at 168 for ten years and looked a very aged fighter in the last 2 fights I've seen him in. Should be cannon fodder.

• Advertisement

7 now confirmed for the Cruiserweight Super Series. Just one more to be confirmed. Would love to see Mike Perez but that 's a bit of a long shot.

Oleksandr Usyk (WBO), Mairis Briedis (WBC), Murat Gassiev (IBF) , Yunier Dorticos (WBO) , Marco Huck , Krzysztof Wlodarczyk, Dmitry Kudryashov

Perez would be a fantastic add to that competition, could be a bit soon for him though.

Should be cannon fodder.

I would agree with you 100% but cannon fodder for who? George Groves? Chris Eubank Jr.? He would probably lose those but it looks to be such a weak field that he could pull off a surprise.

Advertisement