Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Glowacki will be the last addition apparently. Tournament is the best thing that's happened to boxing in years.

Pity about the 168 tournament. In bad need of a bigger name or two. Groves the clear favourite as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I wish Bellew was in the Cruiser one just to see him get pummeled. Serious line up.

The super middleweight one is shockingly bad. Groves is much the best so far and while I do rate him it isn't saying much.

Big UK addition to be announced tomorrow. Surely can only be Eubank or Callum Smith? Either would do nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Paul Smith or Rocky Fielding the way this is going :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Morrison J wrote: »
    Big UK addition to be announced tomorrow. Surely can only be Eubank or Callum Smith? Either would do nicely.

Callum Smith confirmed this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Lol Eddie waited a while to see who was in it before putting Callum Smith in. :pac:

Johner wrote: »
    Lol Eddie waited a while to see who was in it before putting Callum Smith in. :pac:

Would be great if he could use it as leverage to get Perez the final CW spot.

Perez gets the 8th spot, Glowacki first reserve.

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/882956389664133122

Perez gets the 8th spot, Glowacki first reserve.

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/882956389664133122

Wow! I called that but didn't actually believe it would happen. Great opportunity for Perez

Wow! I called that but didn't actually believe it would happen. Great opportunity for Perez

Eddie must have pulled a few strings! Hard to make a case for Perez deserving a spot over Glowacki but he definitely brings more excitement to it. Complete wildcard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

That is fantastic news, this CW Super 8 must be the most exciting thing to happen to boxing since ......................................................

• Registered Users Posts: 56,163 ✭✭✭✭walshb

HigginsJ wrote: »
    That is fantastic news, this CW Super 8 must be the most exciting thing to happen to boxing since ......................................................

As welcoming as it is the CW division has had a recent history of giving us quality matches and fights. It's now just a little more precise and structured. No real change or surprise.

I'll take the Eubank/Abraham winner for 168. Not too bad at all.

Eddie must have pulled a few strings! Hard to make a case for Perez deserving a spot over Glowacki but he definitely brings more excitement to it. Complete wildcard.

Yeah I'd say it must have been a stipulation of getting Callum Smith involved at 168. Fair play to Eddie for pulling the strings. I'd say it has to do with already having a lot of Eastern European CWs

walshb wrote: »
    As welcoming as it is the CW division has had a recent history of giving us quality matches and fights. It's now just a little more precise and structured. No real change or surprise.

That's very fair, it is a cracking division although one that receives less coverage than it deserves with it being somewhat Eastern European dominated at present.

I'll take the Eubank/Abraham winner for 168. Not too bad at all.

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/882962409488601088

So the full field is

George Groves
    Jurgen Braehmer
    Callum Smith
    Anvi Yildrim
    Rob Brant
    Chris Eubank Jr./Artur Abraham
    Erik Skoglund
    Jamie Cox

So just the 1 world champion and no De Gale, Benavidez, Direll and Gilberto Ramirez in particular.

There is a few good young untested fighters, a prime Groves would have been favourtie, I'm not fully sold that he is still that (despite being the only WC in the field). You would think that the top 3 will be Groves, Smith and Eubank Jr.

Brant & Skoglund have records that look good on paper but from a little inspection are very padded. As has been pointed out it is funny to see Cox in this event. Braehmer is over the hill but could cause an upset.

I know little about Anvi Yildrim but his record isn't the worst, so I'll go for him.

Delighted for Perez. Swap Wlodarcyzk for Glowacki and you've the absolute perfect lineup but Diablo is a tough c*nt anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Tried clicking the link but appears I am blocked on Twitter from whoever owns the account . my mother would be ashamed :(

Tried clicking the link but appears I am blocked on Twitter from whoever owns the account . my mother would be ashamed :(

What did you do to piss off ESPN's Dan Rafael??

What did you do to piss off ESPN's Dan Rafael??

Ha its big Dan . looked back on my tweets and I took offence to him slagging Haye after the Bellew fight . Thought it was lousy

• Advertisement

Young Benavidez is apparently now getting a shot at the WBC belt against Anthony Dirrell seeing as Smith has entered the WBSS. Very winnable fight that and rather handy considering the 168 comp looks rather poor.

What happens with the belts in this series? Are they up for grabs in all fights?

BJS to fight Willie Monroe Jr. on the 16th of September in London. Monroe Jr. is far from top class but think he has enough about him to trouble (& beat) an undercooked BJS.

BJS to fight Willie Monroe Jr. on the 16th of September in London. Monroe Jr. is far from top class but think he has enough about him to trouble (& beat) an undercooked BJS.

If Monore has anything left he could do BJS. BJS is muck, relatively speaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

Burial. wrote: »
    Young Benavidez is apparently now getting a shot at the WBC belt against Anthony Dirrell seeing as Smith has entered the WBSS. Very winnable fight that and rather handy considering the 168 comp looks rather poor.

Is Smith's fight against Dirrell off then?

I see Bellew is planting the seed for another Haye payday....

Regrets embracing the cast-iron ass*hole after their fight...

walshb wrote: »
    I see Bellew is planting the seed for another Haye payday....

Regrets embracing the cast-iron ass*hole after their fight...

Nothing was more sure than a rematch.

Kept himself in the media calling out every tom dick and harry until Haye recovered.

In fairness i'll watch it again

Loma vs Rigo has been reportedly signed for December 9th. Nice early Christmas present!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057773018#

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikeygarcia/status/902682788322729984

Garcia daring to be great. In the tweets below it he says he'd like it at 154 for a title. It'd be like Manny vs Oscar all over again except Cotto wouldn't be a corpse from cutting weight.

• Advertisement

Haye Bellew 2 being announced tomorrow it seems

Advertisement