Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Really hope Bellew gets knocked into next week. I find him irritating at the best of times but he really grated on me after the Haye fight. I called that one spectacularly wrong but you'd swear he had just beat Sonny Liston reincarnated that night. Haye didn't look great up to the injury but Bellew was doing fook all himself. He then struggled to put away a one legged man. The whole 'I just beat the boogey man of the HW divison' line killed me. Haye just stood there sucking it all up not wanting to say something that might jeopardise the rematch. It all made me feel a bit ill.

Then the whole pretending that he might fight Wilder act. Cant stand the man. Haye not much better but hope he can hold it together enough to pancake him.

I happened to see Bellew on A League Of Their Own last night and he seemed alright. A bit more relaxed and down to earth and less pantomimey. He seems like a decent bloke underneath it all. Ha big turnaround from my comments yesterday. Still a bit of a bellend but I was probably a bit harsh before.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I happened to see Bellew on A League Of Their Own last night and he seemed alright. A bit more relaxed and down to earth and less pantomimey. He seems like a decent bloke underneath it all. Ha big turnaround from my comments yesterday. Still a bit of a bellend but I was probably a bit harsh before.

I like him and dislike him if that makes sense.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

The very thing he was bashing Haye for pre fight ( obsession with fame , trying to get his face in everywhere , hanging out with z listers ) well since the fight he has being doing the exact same

Everytime i turn on the tele his face is there .

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

walshb wrote: »
    I like him and dislike him if that makes sense.....

Makes plenty of sense. He is one of those personalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Aside from when he's hyping himself up or trying to sell a fight I'm quite partial to Bellew somehow. When he's talking about Boxing in general I think he's pretty sharp and when he's retired with no ego agenda I think he'd make a fine analyst, might want to work on the accent for mass appeal reasons alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

pac_man wrote: »
    Deco Geraghty v Jono Carroll rematch will be on the Frampton Undercard. This was a little cracker that was on the Macklin card in Dublin a few years ago.

The first fight was on after the main event if I remember correctly, but for those who stayed around it stole the show !

Considering how the first fight ended there'll probably be some needle in this and I'd expect another cracker which could go either way.
    Both have tune up fights first though, so cross the fingers for no cuts/injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

ThunderCat wrote: »

Lot of ordering going on lately....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Linares wants nothing to do with Garcia imo. Will get ruined.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Linares wants nothing to do with Garcia imo. Will get ruined.

Linares for me is due to be "exposed." I know, lovely to watch when letting hands go. Just think a Garcia would shut him down and demoralize him. Not so much because Mikey is more talented, juts more clinical and consistent.

• Advertisement

Early prediction: Mikey batters him although Linares has joy early doors, stopped on cuts or by TKO by round 7/8 and Linares retires after the fight. I'll be rooting for Linares 100% though and I'd give him a good shot at hurting Mikey. Mikey just has too much though and seems to be a man possessed.

I like Linares but there's a solid level between them for me. Linares gets hit way too much to be able to live with Mikey for 12 rounds. I think it'd be over within 8 alright. Mikey timing Linares' flashy combinations all night with the straight right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Haye and Bellew to go at it again...yay.

Could very well be a trilogy lads unless Haye sparks him hard early and the Joshua fight is booked instantly. Or if Bellew wins again...lord bless us and save us if that happens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

I hope Bellew at least leaves the crap talk to Haye this time considering he picked the fight with Haye first time around and was very appreciative afterwards.

I just read Ricardo Mayorga will be fighting for the WBC Silver super middleweight title in November against an undefeated Russian..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Burial. wrote: »
    Could very well be a trilogy lads unless Haye sparks him hard early and the Joshua fight is booked instantly. Or if Bellew wins again...lord bless us and save us if that happens again.

Mentioning Haye and Joshua in the same sentence is madness (not having a pop at you at all). But you're right, if Haye wins he will mouth off for that fight, despite being a complete con artist.

I thought Groves was gonna be in for a long night last until he landed that body shot. I suppose matching Hurd and Charlo next after that, hopefully. Haven't seen Hurd's fight yet. Jermell Charlo looks so big for that weight.I don't know if I can be bothered watching Lara's. Reports saying the crowd booed and complained.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Joshua vs Pulev is off due to a Pulev injury, The whole card might be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Update: now fighting Carlos Takam instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Disgusting it will still be ppv with aj knocking out an even bigger bum

• Advertisement

Should never be PPV but will easily be Joshua's second best win. Not bad at two weeks notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Id say Hearn is delighted. They get the mandatory out of the way against an even easier opponent. Still make a fortune, and free to pick their next opponent. They even have a case to aboid the WBA mandatory after Ortiz drug test, though I read the WBA arent recognising it.

Either Parker or Haye next in March / April, then Wilder next summer. Joshua should win them all without too much trouble

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Lemieux will be better than the vast majority of BJS opponents to date.

Exactly what I am thinking. Better than every one of them at the time BJS beat them...Lemieux is not at his peak, but he can punch, and he comes to punch.

Sor Rungvisai and Gallo Estrada booked in for next February which will be entitled Superfly 2. Serious fight that. Inoue already tweeted something about a unification fight on the card, meaning he's targeting a winner of the two title fights on in the next few weeks. Surely Gonzalez and Cuadras will try get their noses involved too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Burial. wrote:
    Sor Rungvisai and Gallo Estrada booked in for next February which will be entitled Superfly 2. Serious fight that. Inoue already tweeted something about a unification fight on the card, meaning he's targeting a winner of the two title fights on in the next few weeks. Surely Gonzalez and Cuadras will try get their noses involved too.

Burial. wrote:

If they're doing a Superfly 2, Rungvisai vs Estrada, Inoue vs Ancajas/Yafai/Conlan/Ishida, and maybe Chocalito vs Cuadras would be a great card

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

Mexican action man Jesus Soto-Karass was stopped again last night; probably his final stand. Farewell to him.

Joseph Parker vs. Lucas Browne supposedly in the works. Browne held the WBA belt for a few weeks after stopping a crocked Chagaev before p*ssing hot months apart. Could be a dangerous fight for Parker to pick, although Aussie vs Kiwi will sell well and Browne is technically an unbeaten former champ.

Spence vs Lamont Peterson is set for January. Not a bad fight but if Matthyse can mess up Peterson, Spence should mangle him although Peterson is an improved fighter since then. You'd expect Spence to make a statement though.

Cinnamon is to make his decision on the Golovkin rematch...although you'd imagine it's already done he's probably just doing some marketing technique.

Good to see 2018 has some decent matchups in the works. The Al Haymon method champ fighting bums for cheques seems to be vanishing more and more.

Eamon to the last part there about Haymon. Gamboa v Jason Sosa has been added to the Kovalev v Shabransky card. It might be a decent fight and it might be that Gamboa is shot to ****.

pac_man wrote: »
    Why is he still fighting? 6 month bans are a pisstake.

AFAIK there was a pretty good chance of him getting off scott free where it not for him p*ssing hot months later again...it is very odd though but quite symptomatic of Boxing unfortunately, but happens in other sports too when you think about it. You've Nery who got caught pulling the ol tainted beef story and has fought already since. Ortiz is only banned from the WBA for a year and is free to go after Wilder or Parker or whatever. Povetkin came back pretty quick after a pretty big fall from grace. Obviously in the eyes of the fans they're ultimate villains but these lads seem to have no problem getting fights which is indicative of something much bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I see Eddie Hearn has added Jarrell "Big Baby" Miller to Daniel Jacobs in his US team. Interesting moves by Hearn, I could see him using Miller to try and derail Wilder.

Be interested to see who else he adds in the near future, think someone like Jermall Charlo could be an obvious target.

Advertisement