Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

walshb wrote: »
    Jason Sosa, whom Lomachenko defeated recently meets Gamboa at 130 lbs this Saturday. Looking forward to seeing how Gamboa gets on. He’s the underdog. Kind of surprising, as Sosa is not great. Must be due to Gamboa having been beaten a few months ago by quitting on his stool...anyway, I have Gamboa to win, and if he looks good it would be great to see him vs. Loma early 2018.
    Sosa if 1/3 which I was surprised by. I have not seen Gamboa in a couple of years but he must be badly if faded the odds are so against him. Interested in seeing what Gamboa has left.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Fury joins Team Kinihan MTK

A lot of people thought he was going to announce signing with dashing Eddie Hearn. Bet Uncle Peter and the new management team have some interesting stories. :D

John Joe Nevin fought over the weekend winning a decision on a card headlined by "Pink Tyson". :) It looked to be in a small rec centre. Stick with Mick Hennessy and he will have his fighters competing in back gardens next, more of a demoter than a promoter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

No fairytale ending for Cotto saturday as a younger, fitter native New Yorker deserved his win on the night. While he didnt get as badly beat up as Hopkins did in his retirement fight in this game once the word retire is mentioned it has significant foreboding. Couldnt really disagree with the UD as Ali stunned him with a big right in the second and it looked like that put him back in his shell. Despite some rallies Ali was sharper in the crucial last third and so the curtain came down on one of the greats.

Have to say whatever one might think of his ability or his standing in the game it is hard not to like him. The range of boxers leaving tributes attests to that. It was a pleasure to be there when he beat Martinez on a night when Andy Lee produced one of the best KOs seen.

As an aside I had thought Jason Quigley was on the undercard but instead he was doing commentary! Shame about Aaron McKenna's bout not happening due to licensing issues with his Mexican opponent. But the good news is he is supposed to be on the card this saturday in the same venue!

Also Jim Lampley teared up at the very end of the broadcast remembering Cotto's career. While it was genuine is he crossing the line there in terms of objectivity? Are some commentators getting too close to the boxers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Sky have a fight card tonight and it's on 'Mix'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

hbhook wrote: »
    Sky have a fight card tonight and it's on 'Mix'.

That's the Katie Taylor card from the York Hall.
    The early portion of the card is on 'Action' & 'Mix', but I think the Taylor fight and possibly Martin Ward vs Juli Giner (European Super-Featherweight title) are on on 'Main Event'.

Looks like I'll have to record Peaky Blinders tonight :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It's quite possible that Floyd fights again..

Against a boxer or a non boxer nobody knows...

Anyone think a 147 lb fight against Loma could be engineered? Loma taking it purely for a very big payday?

There has been a little tit for tat from both fighters relating to Loma's place as a great fighter and Floyd hiding Davis as a Loma opponent...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Frank has confirmed that deals have been reached for..

Frampton v Donaire in April.
    Selby v Warrington in May.

Joshua vs Parker confirmed for 31st March.

• Advertisement

Frampton vs Donaire confirmed for 21st April in SSE Arena, Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Eubank and Groves creeping up . Cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

According to Twitter, Amir Khan will be announcing a deal with Matchroom and a fight versus Adrian Broner later today

Eubank and Groves creeping up . Cant wait

A genuine domestic super-fight....It has everything.

Are ITV showing Breidis/Usyk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 user5147

hbhook wrote: »
    Are ITV showing Breidis/Usyk?

Yeah the cruisers are on free to air channels, the super middles on Box Office

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Anyone know what number channel ITV box office is on Sky?

Anyone know what number channel ITV box office is on Sky?

Usyk vs Breidis is on that channel but is free to air.
    Gassiev vs Dorticos is on ITV4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Spike v Jacobs in Brooklyn 28 April with Katie on undercard.

Jacobs is a major step up for him albeit against a fellow slugger but I feel its a win win for Spike. Even in defeat he'll get a good payday and exposure in the bigger media market. Should he land heavy and ko Jacobs well then its a money train!

But overall when I heard this I felt sorry for Andy Lee as he's a proven world level fighter and competing against Jacobs would have been good for him but his lack of action hasnt helped. Hearn says he may be on the undercard however so if it happens a good Irish night ahead:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Spike v Jacobs in Brooklyn 28 April with Katie on undercard.

Jacobs is a major step up for him albeit against a fellow slugger but I feel its a win win for Spike. Even in defeat he'll get a good payday and exposure in the bigger media market. Should he land heavy and ko Jacobs well then its a money train!

But overall when I heard this I felt sorry for Andy Lee as he's a proven world level fighter and competing against Jacobs would have been good for him but his lack of action hasnt helped. Hearn says he may be on the undercard however so if it happens a good Irish night ahead:)

Nice payday for Spike but Jacobs is levels above.

Lomachenko-Linares in talks for May 12 LW championship fight. Super if it gets made.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RezwoK

Lomachenko-Linares in talks for May 12 LW championship fight. Super if it gets made.

I'd like to see that! Not sure Linares will be cope too well but he should go the distance.

Linares is a loss waiting to happen. He's good but he has one of the most padded records in boxing. He has two options. Get knocked out by Mikey Garcia for average money or get beat up by Lomachenko for good money.

Mikey's time out of the ring biting him in the arse as his profile isn't big enough yet to do the major $$$.

He’s a bit bigger than Loma. Can punch and can go at a good pace. Lovely fluidity and can dig hard to the body. This should be a real test and step up for a “small” Lomachenko..

He’s a bit bigger than Loma. Can punch and can go at a good pace. Lovely fluidity and can dig hard to the body. This should be a real test and step up for a “small” Lomachenko..

I don't think size is going to be a big factor. Linares style doesn't lend to him making the most of it. Is he really that good a puncher? Hasn't got a KO in nearly three years.

He has a style that's nice on the eye but he has zero great wins. All C or B level fighters.

Imagine a UK boxer at the same stage of his career as Linares fighting a load of American plodders and people praising him for it. Just wouldn't happen. Linares has been getting away with murder for years fighting such poor level of opposition really.

He can punch in the delivery sense. That’s what I was “more” meaning. Not a huge hitter, but respectable, and we still have no idea what Loma’s chin is really like. 2-3 inches taller, speed, range, fluidity and volume. I think it will be a big test for Loma.

2-3 inches taller, sipped, range, fluidity and volume. I think it will be a big test for Loma.

Hes only an inch taller apparently.
    I Don't think there's a massive difference in Size since Linares came up from featherweight.

Hes only an inch taller apparently.
    I Don't think there's a massive difference in Size since Linares came up from featherweight.

I think it's more two inches. Arm length as well. Not a huge difference, but likely more a difference than any previous Lomachenko opponent.

• Advertisement

Stephen Edwards with a good mailbag over on BoxingScene today.

Advertisement