Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 55,527 ✭✭✭✭walshb

pac_man wrote: »
    Jason Quigley fought again last night and it's another fight of his that leaves me a bit puzzled. Anyone else watch the fight? He didn't look too hot at all.

I recorded it.....will watch later.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Weird performance from Quigley. Looked tired from about the third round on. Never see that from an Ingle fighter.

Quigley is at his best when on the outside using his jab to set up the straight right. Completely went away from that last night. Really thought Ingle would be the perfect fit for him but not seeing it yet at all.

I can’t see Quigley going much farther really. He made very hard work of an old man who was at least a weight division below him...a little too labored.

He’s not sure if he’s a boxer, slugger or both. Does a bit of everything, which a pro should be able to do, but with Quigley it’s a bit of everything at an average/basic level. When he gets it right he’s good, but just too many inconsistencies..

And I’d be a little concerned about his D!

Speed...8/10
    Power: 6/10
    Stamina: 7/10
    Overall game: 7/10
    Shot selection: 8/10
    Defense: 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

I think Jason could do with another 5 or 6 fights at this level. He is still finding his pro style. There is also too much of a layoff between fights albeit with a bad injury.
    He gets a bit careless when he starts to blow. He has also started leaving the right leg out in front an odd time which is where he is getting tagged. That needs to be knocked on the head.

I wouldn't write him off yet. He has a nice style early on in fights. There's probably a World title in him eventually. Andy Lee / Darren Barker type career possibly? He is worth watching anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Couldnt find a stream to watch this so had to rely on twitter commentators which was a disaster as it was completely negative. One would think Quigley was getting hammered reading.

Watched it back here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV4PTzcLaQk

And thought it was an excellent fight for Quigley as it made him get outside his comfort zone. He was coasting through the first three but when Hernandez opened a cut over Quigley's eye this appearance of blood seemed to spur Hernandez who just went for it and dragged him into a brawl. In the fifth Quigley accidentally headbutted him and there was blood for the rest of the fight but that didnt stop Hernandez having good rounds in the sixth and seventh but Quigley rallied in the later rounds and the UD was fair.

I think Quigley can win a world belt but needs more fights on a regular basis. Hard to disagree with comments above but Golden Boy are no fools and Hopkins' comments will be prophetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Spence is apparently fighting Mikey Garcia in February.

Garcia looks a lot less trim enough at 140, so I think he will just be too small at 147

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Spence is apparently fighting Mikey Garcia in February.

Garcia looks a lot less trim enough at 140, so I think he will just be too small at 147

Spence - Garcia done deal for March 16th in Texas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭megadodge

Johner wrote: »
    Spence - Garcia done deal for March 16th in Texas.

I really, really like Mikey, but that's a mad jump in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

What do we reckon about Conlan v Cunningham?

will be a good test for him

Decent measuring stick fight for Mick to see where he's at. Cunningham gave the likes of Bellotti and Gill very good fights.

Frankie Gavin weighed in nearly 5lbs overweight for his European title fight in Spain tomorrow. Very frustrating to see someone that has talent but seems to be just pissing his career away.

Never really had pro talent...let’s be real...

Frankie Gavin weighed in nearly 5lbs overweight for his European title fight in Spain tomorrow. Very frustrating to see someone that has talent but seems to be just pissing his career away.

Frankie's had weight problems way back to the amateur days. It's hard to know what the craic is with him. I'm not sure he even likes boxing. He looks like he has the skills but we are not seeing it anywhere near it's full potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

walshb wrote: »
    Never really had pro talent...let’s be real...

Sacrilege!
    Fun Time Frankie once headlined a PPV!

Pro talent? Talent is talent. He has a history with weight issues and not taking responsibility for his own actions.

Yes, pro talent...

It’s a different game to the amateurs..

Frankie was an amateur. Suited more to the 3 rds points type scoring of amateur boxing..

Never struck me as a standout talent in the pro game..

Traits might be the better word to use..

Wtf was that performance in the ring before fighter intro?

I was looking at Frankie Gavin's expression and he was wondering the same thing. Boxing well so far but I've a feeling he's throwing too much so far and is goina gas.

Agree. Can see him being stopped in a round or two. He has had nothing to trouble the Spaniard so far.

Yup, there it is. Hang em up Frankie.

• Advertisement

Gavin oozes class at times but just can’t be arsed. What a waste.

It's the EU championships.

Great win over a highly rated (and current European Elite champion) English lad to get gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Just watched the Josh kelly vs Castillo fight from last weeks undercard...I mentioned him to my mate last year as potentially world class, and really impressed with him thus far...Definitely will win a world title in next 3 years imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

walshb wrote: »
    It's the EU championships.

Great win over a highly rated (and current European Elite champion) English lad to get gold.

Yes the EU championship but a simply stunning performance all the same. Looks like our top medal contender for Tokyo as things stand (if boxing actually makes it that is!) Edit: Joe might well have something to say about that in fairness!

Also good victory for Kelly Harrington (you’d think iaba would be able to spell her name correctly by now!) in New Delhi today, beating a former world champion and home favorite to book a place in qf. Very strong female team at moment though disappointing to see Grainne Walsh beaten.

Good win for Amy Broadhurst today, now fights an Indian boxer tomorrow for a world championship medal. Will be a tough contest but looks to have a big future regardless of the result. Been very impressed with her so far, shame she doesn’t box at an Olympic weight.

Probably the only one watching Amy Broadhurst world champs qf bout, but am fairly disgusted by that decision. Ref calls a no knockdown in the last, then gives her a warning. Better fighter and though a close fight, she won it for me. Another sore one to take and, trust me, this is way more than sour grapes on my part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

some very questionable judging in the Women's to say the least

Kelly Harrington 60kg world s/f will be on around 20-30 minutes I would say. Don’t know whether it’s my connection but aiba feed has been pretty ropey today. Hoping it sorts itself out but not that hopeful really.

• Advertisement

It worked for about 20 minutes earlier, then was choppy but ok for a bit. Now seems gone completely.

Advertisement