Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Ortiz decision is how it seemed to be going until Wilder planted him, I know it makes no sense but I still think Ortiz is the better boxer even if hes been knocked out twice. He brings a lot more to the table and maybe if he was 5 years younger he could have avoided the big right for the whole fight.

58-56 58-55 & 59-55 in favour of Ortiz were the cards at the time of stoppage. Not at all implausible that the judges would have found plenty of rounds for wilder had the fight gone the distance. Presently if you're the cash cow you're gonna get a decision pretty handily if the fight is somewhat close.

Most of wilders opponents from now on will be better boxers than him but he has the leveller with his power.

Personally I feel the best way to beat him would be through aggression from early on and look to stop him. He doesn't strike me as a good counterpuncher.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

58-56 58-55 & 59-55 in favour of Ortiz were the cards at the time of stoppage. Not at all implausible that the judges would have found plenty of rounds for wilder had the fight gone the distance. Presently if you're the cash cow you're gonna get a decision pretty handily if the fight is somewhat close.

All 3 judges gave him the 6th.
    1 gave him the 1st too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Ortiz decision is how it seemed to be going until Wilder planted him, I know it makes no sense but I still think Ortiz is the better boxer even if hes been knocked out twice. He brings a lot more to the table and maybe if he was 5 years younger he could have avoided the big right for the whole fight.

I agree Ortiz has been somewhat unlucky not to be a world champion . There is a reason Eddie kept him away from his other fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,237 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Great match Dec 28 agreed with Tank Davis stepping up to LW to fight Yuriorkis Gamboa for a vacant WBA belt...

Davis a clear favorite, but should be a cracking fight.

Oscar Valdez’s opponent (Gutierrez) barely misses weight for their WBC SFW title eliminator...

141 fooking lbs he came in at!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

walshb wrote: »
    Oscar Valdez’s opponent (Gutierrez) barely misses weight for their WBC SFW title eliminator...

11 lbs over the weight limit. The promoter is having him thrown out of the hotel.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/50609728

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

It’s a piss take. I read he came in at 133 lbs in the 7-day weight check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Missed the Frampton fight cos he fell in the shower. This guy has form. He looked overweight on the scales and was weighed twice to clarify he was 11 pounds over. Arum right to chuck him out and WBC have suspended him. Completely unprofessional and one does feel for Valdez.

Anyway hope Frampton does the business later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Any thoughts on the framptom fight lads? Stoppage win?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Frampton made pretty easy work of it even if his opponent was a bit poor. Hurt his hand again though which isn't ideal.

Jamel Herring in Windsor next summer is the talk. Some opportunity to become a three weight world champ that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Herring looked huge compared to frampton, a step too far i reckon.

Carl should target Farmer. Not particularly big, and only a so so puncher!

Just not seeing it with Carl. Still good, but just step or two slower...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Great win for Anthony Cacace last night against Sam Bowen

Very enjoyable night from Vegas. Thought Frampton's win was very comprehensive even taking into account the paucity of the challenger. Honestly thought he was going to get him out of there earlier but given how he had gone into the fight with hand trouble that can be excused. Bar the seventh round I gave every round to Frampton as he completely dominated. He took control of the fight from the opening bell with his jab and body punching.

If he gets the Herring fight this bout will be of significance given how he showed he could work his way into McCreary's massive reach advantage. However after the fight I was surprised how big Herring was in his civvies. Almost like a middleweight but if the opportunity presents itself it's a tie to be savored. Talk of the Garden on Paddy's but not sure if his hands will be ready for camp.

Next up was Valdez against late replacement Adam Lopez and this one was captivating. An upset seemed to be on when Lopez connected with a beautiful left hook to send Valdez down in the second and he kept his distance and worked very effectively from the outside. So comfortable he was that during the sixth when he smashed Valdez he moved back and appeared to stand and admire his skills. To this end I was initially disappointed with what appeared to be an early stoppage in the seventh as I had Lopez ahead.

But after seeing the replay and given how this sport has suffered this year with untimely deaths it was a good call. However Lopez has certainly put himself in the shop window with this excellent display.

As ever Andy Lee's analysis was excellent in the same venue where he won his World title. Given that Quigley is fighting in Cali thursday thought he might have gone over early!

Denis Hogan fights Jermall Charlo early hours Sunday morning for Charlo’s WBC MW belt..

Sky channel 412 or 429 are showing it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Denis Hogan fights Jermall Charlo early hours Sunday morning for Charlo’s WBC MW belt..

Sky channel 412 or 429 are showing it...

Does he have a chance?

Does he have a chance?

he was very unlucky not to get the nod against Munguia but that was at the weight below.

think it will be a competetive scrap and he will push Charlo all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Quigley fighting tonight. I think in la but could be nyc

Quigley fighting tonight. I think in la but could be nyc

its in Cali

in other irish news, the two tyrones (McKenna & MCCullagh)have left Danny Vaughan and linked up wiht Pete Taylor.

Declan Gerraghty swithced over to Pete Taylor too

Marco McCullough retires

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

its in Cali

in other irish news, the two tyrones (McKenna & MCCullagh)have left Danny Vaughan and linked up wiht Pete Taylor.

Declan Gerraghty swithced over to Pete Taylor too

Marco McCullough retires

Hmm, wonder why the change from Vaughan ?(although I don't really rate him).

Pete's building himself a nice little stable there. He's already got Luke Keeler, Tommy McCarthy and Gary Cully (plus a few lesser grade pros like Sean Turner and Collins jnr). That's a serious upgrade in talent for him to work with !

Surprised Marco has retired. He had probably the biggest fight of his career scheduled vs Viorel Simion back in Oct, and should he have won that he'd have been in contention for European honours at least.
    I know he mentioned health reasons in his retirement announcement though, so who knows what's going on.

• Advertisement

Serious talent of domestic level fighters!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Vaughan is terrible. Doesn't even get his fighters into shape. Taylor is the best trainer in Ireland by a mile. Don't think there's anything more to it than that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Serious talent of domestic level fighters!

Domestic/fringe European (well Geraghty is just domestic, but a lovely boxer) and what's wrong with that ?

Aaron McKenna with another ko!

Quigley ringwalk anois:

https://www.facebook.com/GoldenBoyFN/

Third round ko for Jason. Totally outclassed this guy and the ending was brutal as there must have been close to 30 head shots before ref stepped in.

Real old school feel about this as there was one camera, no commentary or clock! But these are the places he has to go to resurrect and the relief to be back winning must be immense. Like Frampton the quality of the opponent is largely irrelevant as the only thing that counts is the W.

No more El Animal!

Chris McNulty seems to be the only Irish journalist to make the journey so fair play.

Does he have a chance?

Very little. Not a great puncher, and giving up height and reach to Charlo. I expect a clear win for Charlo..

Anyone else fed right up with Crawford and his career yet to see him face anti elite? Another fooking no-hoper he faces next week..

This Crawford card this Saturday, which feature a “hugely” anticipated revenge match for Irish fans is not on television.....it’s on ESPN....bummer!

Edit: it’s on Eir Sport 2 02:00 hours, December 15

I'm looking forward to it anyways,

I'd say there will be a great atmosphere

• Advertisement

Totally bizarre ending to the Jacobs Chavez fight.

After the fifth he didn't sit down and while his nose was bleeding the ref came over and asked did he want to continue and the answer was no!

Coming out that he broke his hand but the thing is I thought Chavez was actually competitive in the first couple of rounds being the aggressor from the get go.

He came out with blue hair and looked about a stone heavier so no idea which Chavez would turn up but Freddie Roach's imprint was evident as he was displaying some boxing skills.

Jacobs came into it with his jab and was turning it around until junior decided to leg it.

As I saw when Khan quit against Crawford this can have repercussions in the crowd as is happening now. Senior's reaction at ringside said it all. His son is a stain on the sport. Mickey Rourke protecting Chavez from missiles as they ran back to the dressing room is a fitting ending.

Advertisement