Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Totally bizarre ending to the Jacobs Chavez fight.

After the fifth he didn't sit down and while his nose was bleeding the ref came over and asked did he want to continue and the answer was no!

Coming out that he broke his hand but the thing is I thought Chavez was actually competitive in the first couple of rounds being the aggressor from the get go.

He came out with blue hair and looked about a stone heavier so no idea which Chavez would turn up but Freddie Roach's imprint was evident as he was displaying some boxing skills.

Jacobs came into it with his jab and was turning it around until junior decided to leg it.

As I saw when Khan quit against Crawford this can have repercussions in the crowd as is happening now. Senior's reaction at ringside said it all. His son is a stain on the sport. Mickey Rourke protecting Chavez from missiles as they ran back to the dressing room is a fitting ending.

It's a wonder Roach can be bothered to train him? Tbh I'm kinda glad all the flack he's getting, after missing weight and his long history of unprofessionalism. A disgrace to his family name.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,237 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Hooker fight at WW was a sham

Julio Cesar Martinez, the lad that stopped Britain’s Charlie Edwards in August, (result a NC) looked quite impressive in stopping Rosales, to take the WBC Flyweight title. Relentless little puncher. Excellent variety..

BT Sports from 7.30 showing the Dubois card.

All you Love Island fans can tune in to catch Tommy Fury in action..

My jaysus, this Sunny Edwards is painful viewing..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

This is one of the worst cards I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

walshb wrote: »
    The Hooker fight at WW was a sham

Julio Cesar Martinez, the lad that stopped Britain’s Charlie Edwards in August, (result a NC) looked quite impressive in stopping Rosales, to take the WBC Flyweight title. Relentless little puncher. Excellent variety..

Martinez was like a machine last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Oh Harrison just blew it. Bar a knockdown where he wasn't hurt in the second the reigning Champion was ahead on points and looked comfortable IMO.

Jabbing beautifully but the showboating in the latter rounds came back to haunt him. He had the momentum and was consistently walking down Charlo but a great left hook in the 11th absolutely wobbled Harrison and the ending was inevitable.

To be fair Harrison afterwards admitted he got lax towards the end but the animosity is still there as he barely acknowledged Charlo when he came over to commiserate.

Maybe justice as I had Charlo winning the original fight but hopefully we can get a trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Oh Harrison just blew it. Bar a knockdown where he wasn't hurt in the second the reigning Champion was ahead on points and looked comfortable IMO.

Jabbing beautifully but the showboating in the latter rounds came back to haunt him. He had the momentum and was consistently walking down Charlo but a great left hook in the 11th absolutely wobbled Harrison and the ending was inevitable.

To be fair Harrison afterwards admitted he got lax towards the end but the animosity is still there as he barely acknowledged Charlo when he came over to commiserate.

Maybe justice as I had Charlo winning the original fight but hopefully we can get a trilogy.

I read online that Charlo was ahead on 2 cards, could be wrong though

Tank Davies vs Gamboa tomorrow at lightweight.
    Tank weighed in over a lb overweight.

Trouble there too which is no surprise.

More interested in Pascal v Jack.

• Advertisement

Paschal is a has-been and Jack is just not great...

Looks like nowhere is showing this, other than ESPN!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

All you Love Island fans can tune in to catch Tommy Fury in action..

https://twitter.com/theycallmebeavz/status/1208611744886743041?s=09

:pac:

In your opinion.

I'm looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Are there any boxers you actually like and don't run down with negative comments

I have never seen so many world champions described as bums by a poster on any forum ad by you

Who described any world champion as a bum?

Pascal is well past his best days, hence my use of the term has-been.

Badou Jack is not great, hence my use of the words, not great...

And yes, there are boxers I enjoy. Post 1483 on this thread is one...browse my posting history and I guarantee that you will find more...

You ok with this?

In your opinion.

I'm looking forward to it.

Yes, my opinion...

Could be a great fight, so, for you...I hope it is.

Hard to believe that this is the first major fight in Atlanta since 1998.

Interesting start to the tripleheader between Uzcategui and Thompson. The former lost his crown to Caleb Plant earlier this year and walked into a beautiful combination at the very end of the first that put him on his ass.

Venezualan has drawn blood with a great jab but the ref is having a mare

UD for Lionell Thompson and richly deserved too in his first bout at this weight at 34 years of age. Canny fighter with a good defense and an effective jab this win will be life changing as he could face Plant next. Good boxing display from a fighter with a very good amateur pedigree.

Co main next Pascal v Jack.

Well that was entertaining! Pascal wins by SD and I just don't see that at all. I wouldn't say robbery but very questionable.

Early on Pascal was ahead but Jack always starts slow but in the fourth a vicious right to Jack's temple had the Swede's legs turn to spaghetti and on the floor but unsurprisingly Pascal gassed in the latter rounds where Jack boxed well as opposed to the wild shots from the Haitian.

IF it was level going into the last round Jack won the last round unquestionably as he had Pascal down and was fortunate to be still standing at the bell.

Jack interviewed after didn't seem too disappointed. To be fair he has had a few of these decisions and maybe the fire will be quenched. I saw him against Bute and that was deemed a draw...…..

Davis TKO in last round. No doubting he was below par here with missing weight, the fight 3 days after Christmas and a 38 year old opponent but going almost the distance will stand to him.

Thought it was going be over in the second round with a great left but Gamboa looked he had hurt his right foot during the knockdown. Said afterward that he had ruptured his achilles.

The Cuban was surviving and had his best round in the seventh but was behind round after round despite displaying all the veteran experience of holding and hanging on. Davis had him down again in the eighth but then stepped off the gas and seemed distracted looking outside the ring and paid the price in the tenth when the ex Olympic Champion landed at will.

However "Tank" seemed to wake up in the 11th and nearly had him out of there at the end of the round before the ending with that left brutal uppercut.

To be fair Davis did give himself a C+ in interview after. But a live opponent could have beaten him tonight.

A very good fight night to close out the year and decade.

• Advertisement

Loma vs Lopez is a done deal for April/May.
    Great fight.

Loma vs Lopez is a done deal for April/May.
    Great fight.

Brilliant!

Loma, barring a KO loss, eats Lopez!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Spike o sullivan on this saturday against munguia. Will beed a ko after the hogan decision. I'll be in mexico myself saturday...will have to find an aul taverna with it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Can't see spike doing the business unfortunately

Would be surprised if it goes over 5 rounds

Hope I am wrong mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Spikes Documentary "The Prizefighter" is on Virgin One tonight at 10pm

fitzparker wrote: »
    Spikes Documentary "The Prizefighter" is on Virgin One tonight at 10pm

That documentry was poorly made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

That documentry was poorly made.

We'll have to agree to differ. I thought it was very well done. Much 'rawer' and 'grittier' looking (production wise) than your average production which I'd imagine was the intention.
    I also liked the fact that you could practically substitute Spike with any other 'nearly there' pro boxer, and produce an almost identical documentary. From that point of view it was more an overview of a relatively successful boxing career, someone who hasn't quite made it to the top table (yet??) but who is a lot more than a regular journeyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

What channel will Spike v Munguia be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Checked sports channels on TV Guide, doesn't look like anyone yet.

Spike has said in a few tweets its on Dazn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

what time is Spike in the ring.?

Advertisement