Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Morrison J

That's a proper statement made by Gary Cully tonight. Really strong fighter at 135 pounds. Really think if he was with Sky or BT the hype would be going into overdrive now. Shame he's still a virtual unknown in this countrys mainstream media but I suppose that comes with the territory of signing with MTK and no Olympic background unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,244 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Will Saunders make it to May 8?

Really looking forward to Chocolatito v Estrada 2 tonight. Extremely difficult fight to predict but would love to see Chocolatito do it. Proper great of the sport. Something tells me Estrada might just be a little bit too fresh for him though.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Really looking forward to Chocolatito v Estrada 2 tonight. Extremely difficult fight to predict but would love to see Chocolatito do it. Proper great of the sport. Something tells me Estrada might just be a little bit too fresh for him though.

More terrible cards. Gonzalez fought one of the fights of his life and a judge scores it 9-3 Estrada. Sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭megadodge

More terrible cards. Gonzalez fought one of the fights of his life and a judge scores it 9-3 Estrada. Sickening.

Terrific fight, as we all expected.

I thought it was closer than the commentators had it - I had Gonzalez up by 2 points - as they were concentrating on Gonzalez a little too much for my liking. However, the 117-111 scorecard to Estrada was scandalous. I've seen the scorecards and that particular judge gave the last round to Estrada, which says it all really.

Though I was hedging towards Estrada being too fresh beforehand, I was hoping Gonzalez could find one more big performance. He did. Unfortunately, the judges didn't see it that way.

I thought his interview afterwards was so classy. Not a word of complaint, just his usual genuinely humble, decent self. He is a class act in and out of the ring.

• Advertisement

Very good fight. Just pure honest fighting and boxing..

I didn’t score it. Very close fight...

Punch delivery from both just beauty!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

megadodge wrote: »
    Terrific fight, as we all expected.

I thought it was closer than the commentators had it - I had Gonzalez up by 2 points - as they were concentrating on Gonzalez a little too much for my liking. However, the 117-111 scorecard to Estrada was scandalous. I've seen the scorecards and that particular judge gave the last round to Estrada, which says it all really.

Though I was hedging towards Estrada being too fresh beforehand, I was hoping Gonzalez could find one more big performance. He did. Unfortunately, the judges didn't see it that way.

I thought his interview afterwards was so classy. Not a word of complaint, just his usual genuinely humble, decent self. He is a class act in and out of the ring.

I had it the same 115-113 Gonzalez, but that 117-111 was crazy and scoring the 12th for Estrada in particular just seems insane.

It was a fantastic fight, probably the best I've seen in quite some time, but when you get cards like that it just really seems to sour the fight as a whole.
    Chocolatito's ability to block shots while coming forward and applying pressure is truly a shight to behold.

Also as usual, the DAZN commentators were really annoying.
    The main commentator in boxing used to be reffered to as "blow by blow commentator", there was one round where it took him until the last 30 seconds to refer to any specific shot that was thrown.
    They were just rabbiting bull**** for most of the fight, and at one stage started talking about how Estrada was controlling things bevause he was coming forward, ignoring the fact Gonzalez was hitting him in the face while he was doing so !

Saying it yet again..

Heap of very close rds that could have went either way...

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Joe Ward fightinght at Light Heaweight tonight in Peurto Rico against the lad he fought when he dislocated his knee in 2019.
    Streaming free on https://www.twitch.tv/ringcityusa.

Joe should make his walk around 1am for anyone interested.

There's a few decent bouts on the card.

Joe Ward fightinght at Light Heaweight tonight in Peurto Rico against the lad he fought when he dislocated his knee in 2019.
    Streaming free on https://www.twitch.tv/ringcityusa.

Joe should make his walk around 1am for anyone interested.

There's a few decent bouts on the card.

You best me to it

https://irish-boxing.com/how-to-watch-joe-ward-versus-marco-delgado/?fbclid=IwAR38dQIN9SJIbAYuCymJz0yfM5_QkCOj4zSQ13D744syfPYjyzlH1FMPNUc

Think the twitch app needed

https://www.twitch.tv/ringcityusa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Thought it was a great fight and having seen Chocolatito lose his first fight in similar circumstances felt sorry for him although I feel this was more clearcut. Talk of a rematch to close out the trilogy.

Joe Ward is now last to go on tonight. Still can't believe missed his first fight!

The chat on twitct is, eh, interesting...

They had to turn the chat off hahahahaha.

60-54 for Joe, never got out of 2nd gear, Delgado should have had points deducted a few times, looked like he was more interested in attempting standing guillotine's than throwing punches a few times, lots of throwing on the break and while holding.

Long way for Ward to go imo. Bit stiff and lacking in head movement. Thought he found a bit of a flow and finished strong in the last couple of rounds but he doesn't strike me as a guy who's fully comfortable in a pro ring yet.

Long way for Ward to go imo. Bit stiff and lacking in head movement. Thought he found a bit of a flow and finished strong in the last couple of rounds but he doesn't strike me as a guy who's fully comfortable in a pro ring yet.

Yes..

No idea what make that fight. Awkward foe, but Ward just didn’t have any clear plan/rhythm..

Just never thought of him as pro material..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

This has to b the worst PPV card ever.
    3 complete mismatches and two evenly matched but useless lumps at heavyweight.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsBoxing/status/1372993457254494210

This has to b the worst PPV card ever.
    3 complete mismatches and two evenly matched but useless lumps at heavyweight.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsBoxing/status/1372993457254494210

Up there...no doubt

Still can’t beat Brook/Frankie Gavin..

Parker and Chisora. Muck!!

walshb wrote: »
    Up there...no doubt

Still can’t beat Brook/Frankie Gavin..

Parker and Chisora. Muck!!

Was Brook vs Funtime Franke PPV? :pac::pac:

I always thought Bellew vs Cleverly II was the worst every PPV.

Anyway what the hell is Bivol doing fighting Craig Richards? Complete mismatch.

Was Brook vs Funtime Franke PPV? :pac::pac:

I always thought Bellew vs Cleverly II was the worst every PPV.

Anyway what the hell is Bivol doing fighting Craig Richards? Complete mismatch.

Yep..

Brook-Frankie worst ever
    Bellew-Cleverly II next
    Chisora-Parker next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Chisora must have something on Eddie to keep getting these nothing fights to headline a PPV

Bit disrespectful to Katie not headlining it

in other worthy PPV news Canelo v Saunders will be in cowboys stadium with 60k fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭squinn2912

He either has something on Ed or the London following are really forking out for his fights. Parker could have been a decent draw as a former world champion but that awful showing against AJ lost him a lot of credit for me. Decent contest with Whyte and another stinker with Hughie. At best this fight is worth a watch but I’m not paying for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Butson

Hearn may as well give some links in his tweets to some good iptv providers, because nobody is buying that.

Any thread for tonight’s fights?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

fitzparker wrote: »
    Chisora must have something on Eddie to keep getting these nothing fights to headline a PPV

Bit disrespectful to Katie not headlining it

in other worthy PPV news Canelo v Saunders will be in cowboys stadium with 60k fans!

Chisora is extremely popular in the UK, and likely sells very well when he's on ppv.

It's not disrespectful at all to Katie imo, very few people would pay ppv money for her Vs Jonas.
    Chisora Vs Parker is the fight drawing the fans and hence it's the one to headline.
    More people will probably be interested in Eubank Jnr than Taylor.

It was the same reason Anthony Crolla headlined in his farewell fight at the MEN. Those Mancunians didn't come there for Taylor.

As bad as Chisora/Parker headlining, Katie/Jonas would be worse..

Jonas I think has a very slim chance. She’s just not quick enough anywhere..

Katie too sharp and better feet..

UD..

walshb wrote: »
    As bad as Chisora/Parker headlining, Katie/Jonas would be worse..

Jonas I think has a very slim chance. She’s just not quick enough anywhere..

Katie too sharp and better feet..

UD..

The 3 undercard fights are complete mismatches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Agree and at 27 he only has had 4 fights so yeah long way to go but obviously being backed well with Joey Gamache in his corner. This was a mismatch and a total contrast in styles to say the least. Delgado was just there to disrupt. The weirdness came through half way when there was questions ringside at how many rounds it was scheduled for!

Decided to stick with the broadcast as next up was Mexico v Puerto Rico so knew would get more action and what an absolute cracker it was. Machado was a former super featherweight titlist against a guy who came in on a weeks notice. As expected Machado dominated the first half of the fight knocking down Fierro in the first and second with Andy Lee type right hands but the tide turned in the fourth as the Mexican stormed back with good body shots. He upped the tempo in the fifth with sustained pressure and then in the sixth he dropped him with a left hook and from the way Machado fell it was obvious he wasn't getting up. Cue incredibly joyous scenes from the Mexican!

Well worth a watch on RingCity twitter.

Warren’s proposed May 1 BT card has Michael Conlan fighting David Oliver Joyce’s conqueror, Romania’s Ionut Baluta at FW. Nice test for Mick. Baluta can throw..

May 1 a busy night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Butson

In fairness to the promoters, the fights are coming thick and fast at the moment.

Advertisement