Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

To throw my 2c in I cannot see a way for BJ to win. He's not getting a decision v the global A side of boxing, it's just not gonna happen. Chances of him knocking out Canelo? Practically zero.

My prediction would be Saunders looks nice and slick for a round or two before Canelo starts putting it on him. Wide decision if not a late stoppage. Very little he can do to keep Canelo off him for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,244 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Senor Frog wrote: »
    That's fair enough , on that point can anyone remember Canelo being properly hurt in a fight?

Jose Miguel Cotto stunned him badly in a fight years ago...May, 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

weemcd wrote: »

My prediction would be Saunders looks nice and slick for a round or two

Amir Khan managed to do better than that.

I'm going to go with Canelo somewhere in rounds 8,9 or 10 with the ref or towel saving Saunders from taking anymore punishment after been pummeled for the last 2 or so rounds.

walshb wrote: »
    Jose Miguel Cotto stunned him badly in a fight years ago...May, 2010

Not surprising. Canelo being 19 years old.

blade1 wrote: »
    Not surprising. Canelo being 19 years old.

Yes, only a baba!

Had a fair few fights under his belt though. He must have turned pro aged 16/17..

Anyway, the past few years he has filled out, strengthened, thickened and matured...

Very solid chin. No surprise. Square head and thick legs!!

Edit: pro at 15...wtf

• Advertisement

Amir Khan managed to do better than that.

I'm going to go with Canelo somewhere in rounds 8,9 or 10 with the ref or towel saving Saunders from taking anymore punishment after been pummeled for the last 2 or so rounds.

Yep..

On Khan: Khan did fook all. Pitter patter nonsense shots that barely landed or missed..

Yep..

On Khan: Khan did fook all. Pitter patter nonsense shots that barely landed or missed..

Nah, he done more than fook all.
    Not much but more than fook all.

I'm not the only one that thought he done more than fook all

Screenshot-20210413-134916.jpg

Nah, he done more than fook all.
    Not much but more than fook all.

Whatever he did, it was fook all use!!!

12 rds fight. Not 5, sadly for Amir!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I thought Kahn did very well despite such a rotten KO. I can see a similar pattern in this fight but I’m not sure BJS will have the slickness or speed to stay away as long as 5 rounds, I see him getting hit more but not as cleanly and he should take the shots better so a longer fight. I’d like to watch a competitive fight.

• Advertisement

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I thought Kahn did very well despite such a rotten KO. I can see a similar pattern in this fight but I’m not sure BJS will have the slickness or speed to stay away as long as 5 rounds, I see him getting hit more but not as cleanly and he should take the shots better so a longer fight. I’d like to watch a competitive fight.

I initially thought the same when first watced

I watched it back couple times, and similar to the Danny Garcia fight, a lot of Khan's work was just so ineffective, as well as energy wasting; and his usual, throwing shots just for the sake of it......

Plus, like Garcia, Canelo was countering well and simply biding his time to set the trap.......

So, did well in the sense that he lasted 4 and a bit rounds, but other than this, he was doing very little as regards putting any type dent on Canelo....

He was like an irritating fly you want to squash in your house.....you know you will get him, but you need a few swipes to get the job done...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Garcia fighting Javier Fortuna, Haney tearing into him on Twitter.

ASOT wrote: »
    Garcia fighting Javier Fortuna, Haney tearing into him on Twitter.

Haney fighting Linares!!!

Haney fighting Linares!!!

He's on about him saying he wanted pac or tank next then taking this fight. It's a decent next fight for him to be fair. No point in rushing anything.

These are gonna be great fights!! Any dates released?

These are gonna be great fights!! Any dates released?

Haney Linares May 29th
    Garcia Fortuna July 9th

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

James Tennyson fighting Jovanni Straffon for the vacant IBO Lightweight title on the undercard of Chisora Vs Parker (same card as Taylor Vs Jonas).

I've not see Straffon but Tennyson adds value to any card, and is a bit addition to this one.

Big Ears wrote: »
    James Tennyson fighting Jovanni Straffon for the vacant IBO Lightweight title on the undercard of Chisora Vs Parker (same card as Taylor Vs Jonas).

I've not see Straffon but Tennyson adds value to any card, and is a bit addition to this one.

Saw that. Burns fight fell through..

Can we agree, win or lose, we’re not calling it a world champion/title...😝

Saw that. Burns fight fell through..

Can we agree, win or lose, we’re not calling it a world champion/title...ðŸ˜

I think the Burns fight is a good one for him, although the older Burns is the better for Tennyson, so no harm if it happens a few months down the line.

Clearly the IBO is only a minor 'World title', it's the best of the lesser ones, but still not up there with the rest.

However I've changed my view on World titles over the years, with the sanctioning bodies throwing out titles like it's nobody's business and interim titles easy to come by with all of the big 4, I look at winning a 'World title' as being similar to winning a major in Golf/Tennis.

It's an indication you're one of the best boxers in your weight class (there are exceptions) and a solid achievement you can look back on when your career is finished, but nothing more or nothing less.
    Only when a fighter clearly establishes themself as #1 or as the Lineal champion do I refer to them as being a "World Champion", otherwise they're simply a title holder.

This seems quite important to James for whatever reason, and that's okay. Bringing the Golf/Tennis analogy back into things, this would be like winning a decent event on the PGA/ATP tou, but not a Major.

Big Ears wrote: »
    I think the Burns fight is a good one for him, although the older Burns is the better for Tennyson, so no harm if it happens a few months down the line.

Clearly the IBO is only a minor 'World title', it's the best of the lesser ones, but still not up there with the rest.

However I've changed my view on World titles over the years, with the sanctioning bodies throwing out titles like it's nobody's business and interim titles easy to come by with all of the big 4, I look at winning a 'World title' as being similar to winning a major in Golf/Tennis.

It's an indication you're one of the best boxers in your weight class (there are exceptions) and a solid achievement you can look back on when your career is finished, but nothing more or nothing less.
    Only when a fighter clearly establishes themself as #1 or as the Lineal champion do I refer to them as being a "World Champion", otherwise they're simply a title holder.

This seems quite important to James for whatever reason, and that's okay. Bringing the Golf/Tennis analogy back into things, this would be like winning a decent event on the PGA/ATP tou, but not a Major.

Fair enough

I don't see winning some nothing "world belt" where they pick two boxers from nowhere and have them fight for it as being remotely comparable to winning a slam in tennis, where all the best on earth are for that one time...

But I see and understand and agree on your overall points here...

• Advertisement

Fair enough

I don't see winning some nothing "world belt" where they pick two boxers from nowhere and have them fight for it as being remotely comparable to winning a slam in tennis, where all the best on earth are for that one time...

But I see and understand and agree on your overall points here...

Aye I like the analogy but if you take a quick example like Charles Martin who was a world champion, his equivalent in the tennis world wouldn’t get to do ball boy at a slam

Aye I like the analogy but if you take a quick example like Charles Martin who was a world champion, his equivalent in the tennis world wouldn’t get to do ball boy at a slam

Well, it’s been quite some time since someone not rated highly has won a slam in tennis..

Some these world titles and belts and holders would be like top 50 in tennis terms...not even near top ten. Rounds 1-3 in tennis slams at best.

Golf completely different. Anyone in the field can win. It’s you against the course..

Andrade in this week as he continues fighting absolute nobodies at MW..

I'm s big fan of Liam Williams and his style of boxing, seems like a genuine fella. Hope he beats him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Its pretty bizarre, Hearn signed him to a bit of a fanfare. Level of opposition has been so awful since, especially given the depth of MW and the division either side

Holyfield v Kevin McBride announced on the undercard of Teo Lopez next fight v Kambosos Jr June 5th, the DJ Diplo is also fight on the undercard........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

ASOT wrote: »
    Holyfield v Kevin McBride announced on the undercard of Teo Lopez next fight v Kambosos Jr June 5th, the DJ Diplo is also fight on the undercard........

Any real fights?

Any real fights?

What a loada sh*te. Punishment making anyone watch that.

Well, it’s been quite some time since someone not rated highly has won a slam in tennis..

Some these world titles and belts and holders would be like top 50 in tennis terms...not even near top ten. Rounds 1-3 in tennis slams at best.

Golf completely different. Anyone in the field can win. It’s you against the course..

Ya I retract the tennis bit tbh, a handful of guys win everything, but the golf one is still somewhat correct.

I find the Andrade Vs Williams fight somewhat interesting. Andrade has much quicker fight and should make easy work of Williams when on the outside, he also should be able to time Williams coming in, and he's naturally bigger than Williams.

However Williams is a very dangerous fighter on the inside and can punch. He's particularly dangerous when fighters are trying to clinch him and Andrade will have to be careful if he's trying to tie Williams up at any stage, Williams has a unique ability to turn his hips over and generate force when half tangled up.

I also suspect Andrade could be a bit mentally weak.
    He celebrated the Keeler fight in a manner as if he'd just gone life and death in there, and I feel that mentally for him that fight seemed tough just because Keeler stayed in there and kept trying to win.
    If Williams can get close and keep him under pressure he might be able to get him to break.
    ......... it's still quite an if though.

• Advertisement

Any real fights?

That's the way the games going by the looks of things , the likes of Triller will bid for a decent fight , Lopez in this case then fill the card with old men and z list celeb fights. It's a joke.

Advertisement