Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Anybody else watching that card on DAZN. Decent scrap between two women at the moment. Munguia main eventing it and that Bektemir lad is up next.

2 great scraps, Rosado just sparked young up comer Bektemir after taking a knee in the first. Thought it was only a matter of time before Rosado got finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Morrison J

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Morrison J wrote: »

Lord God what a hit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

What a KO.

Also they really need to keep Oscar off the telly, coked up again saying he wants a rematch with Mayweather.

• Advertisement

Munguia no world beater but definitely slowly showing signs of improvement behind that jab. Best he's looked in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Munguia no world beater but definitely slowly showing signs of improvement behind that jab. Best he's looked in a while.

I think hes a quality operator, fighting a punching bag tonight but.

Really needs to step up competition.

ASOT wrote: »
    I think hes a quality operator, fighting a punching bag tonight but.

Really needs to step up competition.

He’s still young he could come up to smw in a couple of years for a pop at Canelo.

Monster time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I see that JC Chavez Junior failed to make an agreed catch weight on 182lbs the proceeded to lose to a 46 year old MMA fighter.
    His dad must be ashamed of him at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I see that JC Chavez Junior failed to make an agreed catch weight on 182lbs the proceeded to lose to a 46 year old MMA fighter.
    His dad must be ashamed of him at this stage.

Christ, and this dope was calling for a fight with Canelo earlier in the week.:confused:

Christ, and this dope was calling for a fight with Canelo earlier in the week.:confused:

FFS look at the battering he already got there who wants to see that. I didn’t realise it was on until I saw the result. Absolute disgrace to get beaten by Silva and from the read ups it shouldn’t have been SD. Bollox.

I got up to watch Inoue I think I’m the only one in this time zone!! Love the guy. The power for the weight is incredible he reminds me so much of GGG 8/9 years ago. The body shots were painful to watch.

Inoue the best fighter in the sport for me. Not sure where he goes next though with Donaire fighting Casimero. Would love to see Rigo v Inoue and winner fighting the winner.

Inoue the best fighter in the sport for me. Not sure where he goes next though with Donaire fighting Casimero. Would love to see Rigo v Inoue and winner fighting the winner.

He’s so exciting and the way he sets things up is incredible! For me he walks through an odd punch too often but by Christ he hits so hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Michael Conlan vs TJ Doheny 6Aug.

will all the irish media forgot who is putting this fight on? biggest Irish fight in a few years

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Are the Irish media still banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LMHC

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Are the Irish media still banned?

No the boycott was stopped a year ago.

but1er wrote: »
    Michael Conlan vs TJ Doheny 6Aug.

will all the irish media forgot who is putting this fight on? biggest Irish fight in a few years

Great fight to be fair if Doheny has a final stand in him. I genuinely can't think of a higher level all Irish fight in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Butson

Have never bought into the Conlon hype at all.

Don't think he is elite level.

Butson wrote: »

Really? I believe he is elite. I definitely believe he needs to step up his opps but he definitely has the Arsenal. His shot selection at times can be suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,270 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The hype is pure manufactured nonsense based off his antics in Rio.

Has fought absolutely nobody yet to allow us to really know this, but I am with you here. I certainly have not seen anything to tell me that he is world class.

He's almost 30, and four years into a career, and his next fight is against a feather fisted semi retired Doheny, who lost to Baluta about 18 months ago.

And I keep hearing Doheny is former WC.....So fooking what.

It's like Mick's team are doing all they can to keep him from fighting talent....

walshb wrote: »
    The hype is pure manufactured nonsense based off his antics in Rio.

Has fought absolutely nobody yet to allow us to really know this, but I am with you here. I certainly have not seen anything to tell me that he is world class.

He's almost 30, and four years into a career, and his next fight is against a feather fisted semi retired Doheny, who lost to Baluta about 18 months ago.

And I keep hearing Doheny is former WC.....So fooking what.

It's like Mick's team are doing all they can to keep him from fighting talent....

Absolutely spot on here! He’s marketable and looks flashy enough against lads that have no chance. Against Baluta I thought he was lazy and dreadful, lucky to get the win. When he fights anyone with real pep he’s gonna get ironed out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

not Conlons biggest fan at all.

there's a few things i dont like, his boxing style is one, its not very pleasing on the eye, in fact, he's still stuck in his amateur days of throwing one half decent punch then sitting back and admiring it. I dont think the move to Booth will make him any more palatable in terms of his style, because he does tend to promote the "hit and run" style. And in my opinion, its only effective when you have a fighter that has legit ko power, ie, Haye, Groves or Lee.

and as has been said above, he hasnt fought anyone as a pro to date. If im not mistaken, didnt he barely survive a late stoppage when he actually the world amateur championships to?

The one thing i really dislike about the whole Conlan thing is the lack of inclusion around his fights.

ok, granted, isnt this only his second fight at home in Belfast? But look where its on, and the whole set up of the last one was as pro IRA and anti British as you could get. Whether he wants to accept it or not, as a sportsman in northern Ireland, you owe it to the public to not marginalise one half of your community.

I was up at a few Carl Frampton fights, and hand on heart, never once did i feel unwelcome.

Id bet my bottom dollar there's not a single loyalist/unionist person going there to support Conlan. But id hazar a guess Frampton never had that issue with the republican side of the community

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Butson

not Conlons biggest fan at all.

there's a few things i dont like, his boxing style is one, its not very pleasing on the eye, in fact, he's still stuck in his amateur days of throwing one half decent punch then sitting back and admiring it. I dont think the move to Booth will make him any more palatable in terms of his style, because he does tend to promote the "hit and run" style. And in my opinion, its only effective when you have a fighter that has legit ko power, ie, Haye, Groves or Lee.

and as has been said above, he hasnt fought anyone as a pro to date. If im not mistaken, didnt he barely survive a late stoppage when he actually the world amateur championships to?

The one thing i really dislike about the whole Conlan thing is the lack of inclusion around his fights.

ok, granted, isnt this only his second fight at home in Belfast? But look where its on, and the whole set up of the last one was as pro IRA and anti British as you could get. Whether he wants to accept it or not, as a sportsman in northern Ireland, you owe it to the public to not marginalise one half of your community.

I was up at a few Carl Frampton fights, and hand on heart, never once did i feel unwelcome.

Id bet my bottom dollar there's not a single loyalist/unionist person going there to support Conlan. But id hazar a guess Frampton never had that issue with the republican side of the community

Yup. All that Up the Ra nonsense. Grow up.

Yup. All that Up the Ra nonsense. Grow up.

He grew up in a society that expects it's of him. He's from a staunch republican in Springfield road. He's entitled to his beliefs is he not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Boxing in the North is very inclusive from the days of McGuigan through to Frampton and Conlan. And yes from seeing him on all his Paddy's Day fights it is majority republican and yes there are Ra songs. However these fights were in NYC and there is the element of an away trip. But as said he is a proud republican and it is a society that is completely different than ours.

As an aside tried to buy a ticket there but only ones left are premium. Was cheaper to see him in the Garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ccarr

Is this fight going be on TV in Ireland and UK.

Don't see BT logo on any of poster's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Joe Ward fighting tonight in New York. Doing fair bit of his training in Mexico I believe, good to see him dedicating himself to being a pro, didn't expect it from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Another win for Joe and as for dedicating himself well he has to as he is now a professional!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Anyone watching the Boxing in Belfast on Friday night? On FITE to stream.

Seems Conlan and Doheny are having disputes about the contracted weight and number of rounds. Conlan isn't coming off well at all from what I can see. I would really like to see him beat as he has a bit too much mouth on him, think he believes his own hype.

Advertisement