Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭megadodge

Buckland and Rees are taking up where they left off last time out.
    This is a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kcimd

tunguska wrote: »
    Anything on next weekend? Champions league final that night aswell so hoping to watch match then a decent fight.

adonis Stevenson v fonfara is on box nation this sat

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I remember when the Froch-Groves fight was announced I was so hoping it would be on the night of the Champions League final. Would be a hell of a night for sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kcimd

walshb wrote: »
    I remember when the Froch-Groves fight was announced I was so hoping it would be on the night of the Champions League final. Would be a hell of a night for sport!

times wouldve overlapped though,champions league final kicks off at 7:45. miss either the undercard in the boxing or the final. and if it went into ET it wouldn't be over til after 10. least we get 2 sat nights of sport to look forward too. build up for froch v groves starts on Tuesday i think,on sky sports. something on Tuesday,wed,Thursday,Fri,sat and then the fight sat night

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭AdolfHipster

kcimd wrote: »
    times wouldve overlapped though,champions league final kicks off at 7:45. miss either the undercard in the boxing or the final. and if it went into ET it wouldn't be over til after 10. least we get 2 sat nights of sport to look forward too. build up for froch v groves starts on Tuesday i think,on sky sports. something on Tuesday,wed,Thursday,Fri,sat and then the fight sat night

Was brilliant last year when we had the CL final, then Froch/Kessler II and then a shneaky bit of UFC later on that night. What a day of sport that was! Shame the fight falls the following week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

There are reports that Mayweather's next opponent in September will be Danny Garcia. Apparently Showtime weren't happy with Maidana PPV numbers so they're not inclined for a rematch and Garcia is a big draw. Apparently Khan was supposed to be the initial opponent but that's more like for May next year. Maidana-Thurman is rumoured for a possible undercard fight which would be an incredible fight, potential FOTY.

I hope this doesn't happen though. Danny said he wants one more fight at LWW but who could refuse the Floyd payday? As well as that Swift is a good boxer but his fight with Herrera was a robbery tbh, he was a shadow of the man who fought with Matthysse and it looked like that fight took a lot out of him. He's not ready to move up weight yet especially against Mayweather. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'm looking forward to Hall-Butler on BoxNation on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

Spike O'Sullivan vs Jose Medina and Jamie Kavanagh vs Michael Clark are fighting in the House of Blues, Boston tonight. Anybody know if it's going to be on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭megadodge

pac_man wrote: »
    Cubans are on the WSB final over the weekend. Ive been watching some of their fights in the series and some fighters are lovely to watch. Could be some dodgy judging as they're away from home and the scoring in the series is a bit inconsistent.

What channel (if any) can you get that on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Cubans are on the WSB final over the weekend. Ive been watching some of their fights in the series and some fighters are lovely to watch. Could be some dodgy judging as they're away from home and the scoring in the series is a bit inconsistent.

I was in Cuba last month and went to see their national team against the Russians in Havana. Five dollars in and we were allowed bring in a bottle of rum. Bloody marvellous.

• Advertisement

Do you know what time that's on at?

First final at 1400 hrs Bucharest time. 12 noon Irish time. June 7. 10 bouts. Katie should be bout 5 I think. Ochigava is out.

Katie's semi win at 57 mins in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF6Nyj43xMA&feature=youtu.be&a

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I'm looking forward to Hall-Butler on BoxNation on Saturday!

Really looking forward to seeing Butler again, I think he'll put on a show. Lovely boxer to watch.

AIBA have a link on YouTube for the finals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBFCG5H5cd0

Johner wrote: »
    Really looking forward to seeing Butler again, I think he'll put on a show. Lovely boxer to watch.

He's a 3/1 favorite. I think the body attack is key. He's a deal shorter and he can't afford to be kept at range.

I think you mean he's 1/3. The only problem with Butler from what I can remember was his tendency to spend long periods on the ropes. Hall looks bigger and stronger so I'm not sure it's a great tactic to be spending loads of time on the ropes. Should be interesting.

Yes, 3-1 on I should have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭badabing106

Tony " The Tiger" Thompson Vs Carlos Takram ( the guy that drew with Mike Perez ) is on soon. edit :Starting now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Shawn Porter vs Kell Brook in New York on August 9th has been agreed by all accounts. Finally Brook getting the shot he deserves and I hope he can get the victory

BoxNation has a shed load of big name fights coming!

Give us a sample.

Fury-Chisora, Lomachenko-Russell Junior, Cotto=Martinez, Hall-Butler....

• Advertisement

I'd say that was an experience.

Ah lads ye haven't lived until ye've been. The arena is amazing like. Dilapidated to sh*t but so much character (like most of the best gyms really); wooden raised bleacher benches and no air conditioning in 33 degree heat with high humidity. The crowd is mental like, everything from 85 year old women puffing cigars to crowds of local youngfellas hopping all over the gaff. It's some of the best boxing I've ever seen as well.

Another thing that's worth doing is training in one of the gyms in Havana. For twenty bucks a day I was training with Hector Vinent who was a gold medallist in 1992 and 1996 at leightweight; he's one of Wayne McCullough's best friends. Sparring in that humidity had me f*cking bate to rights though, I did three rounds in a row and nearly blacked out. I had to sit down for half an hour. Also boxing in Cuba is a black dominated sport so I was the only gringo in the gym and a bit of an exotic presence to be honest. There were a couple of Mexican lads there alright and we got some good sparring in. Needless to say we were absolutely annihilated by the Cubans.

Boxers over there are considered gods nearly, after baseball it's the most popular sport in the country. I had my gloves poking out of my bag walking through the barrios in Havana and I was absolutely mobbed by kids and people stopped me in the street to talk and ask me where I'm from etc. Amazing place with boxing embedded in its veins. It's a must-visit for any fan of the sport.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Another thing that's worth doing is training in one of the gyms in Havana. For twenty bucks a day I was training with Hector Vinent who was a gold medallist in 1992 and 1996 at leightweight; he's one of Wayne McCullough's best friends. Sparring in that humidity had me f*cking bate to rights though, I did three rounds in a row and nearly blacked out. I had to sit down for half an .

Vinent was my favorite boxer from Barcelona. So dominant. He did a number on oNe of our lads, Neil Winters in a WC match in '93 I think. Body shot KO. Top 10 all time Cuban. No doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Thread open to discuss tonight's fights/general chat - keep this thread for its purpose please (not a fight night chat thread link

Vinent was my favorite boxer from Barcelona. So dominant. He did a number on oNe of our lads, Neil Winters in a WC match in '93 I think. Body shot KO. Top 10 all time Cuban. No doubt.

Yeah he was regaling me with tales of his defeat of Winters alright. Also because I'm a plodder he kept roaring "bailar!" at me which is Spanish for dance and hitting me with the pad.

One of the coaches in my gym here is Herol Graham whose approach to style and other methods is unorthodox to say the least and much of that has rubbed off on me over the past year. Vinent was saying not to listen to him because his style wasn't technical enough etc and the Cuban style is the best in the world so why would I want to copy anyone else?

He certainly is a character.

Nice night of sport tomorrow

First Spain and Holland and then the big one, England-Italy. C'mon England!

Fight Night International - Live. Sky Sports 1 from 0300 hrs

Brian Rose battles unbeaten American Demetrius Andrade for the WBO light-middleweight title at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Also includes Ruslan Provodnikov v Chris Algieri.

Mayweather in talks with Maidana for a rematch in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Paul Smith . Going to get a world title shot. What a complete joke .

Roy Jones against Courtney Fry tomorrow. :rolleyes: lol.

Kovalev is fighting tomorrow as well. I expect nothing less than a brutal KO.

• Advertisement

Danny Garcia up against a relative nobody tomorrow night. Big interest in the undercard though, Daniel Jacobs after overcoming cancer is in a Middleweight title fight. It's for the regular WBA belt as far as I'm aware although Golovkin is obviously the WBA champ but there are belts for everyone these days. Still though would be a great story to see him win, got some nice KO power in him too.

Advertisement