Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approaching prospective neighbours about trees

Options
  • 24-03-2013 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking at a house. Ticks all the boxes except for one thing. At the back, in the back neighbours garden, is a very high wall of conifers.

Now - this would potentially totally destroy any light from the back if they got any higher.

I was thinking of going to the back neighbours and talking to them about it.

Basically, at the back of my head I was thinking I'd pay them to cut them down and replace them with something less massive if it came to it.

Any thoughts/input?

Quad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

quad_red wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Looking at a house. Ticks all the boxes except for one thing. At the back, in the back neighbours garden, is a very high wall of conifers.

Now - this would potentially totally destroy any light from the back if they got any higher.

I was thinking of going to the back neighbours and talking to them about it.

Basically, at the back of my head I was thinking I'd pay them to cut them down and replace them with something less massive if it came to it.

Any thoughts/input?

Quad

Yes, you have no chance in hell. You don't own the house, your looking at buying a house and prior to buying it you want the neighbours to agree to your cutting down and replacing their trees to ensure you have more light, you can ask and you have balls that's all i'll say. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I don't think I'd be too offended if I got this request. I might say no of course..
    But it's not a horrible request.

I say just ask them. If nothing else it might give you a measure of what the neighbours are like before moving in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Thanks for the input folks.

I'm not gonna march over there like a little dictator or anything.

But this is basically a breaking point - those Cypress pines could keep going if not checked.

And there's no sign of the proposed legislative limit on these things in urban environments yet, is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ask the current owner have they asked. TBH, it looks like something to cause you to move house, and I'm thinking this may be what happened.

And even if they say they would cut the trees down, I wouldn't even put a deposit down until they were.

the_syco wrote: »
    Ask the current owner have they asked. TBH, it looks like something to cause you to move house, and I'm thinking this may be what happened.

And even if they say they would cut the trees down, I wouldn't even put a deposit down until they were.

Thanks syco. House was a rental for the last few years.

But fair point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mhtc

Tell the seller you won't put in an offer unless these are cut. Get them to tell the neighbour that a number of people viewing the house have raised this as an issue.

Win win as seller doesn't mind asking as they're off and you don't get off on the wrong foot with new neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

mhtc wrote: »
    Tell the seller you won't put in an offer unless these are cut. Get them to tell the neighbour that a number of people viewing the house have raised this as an issue.

Win win as seller doesn't mind asking as they're off and you don't get off on the wrong foot with new neighbour

Yea I would go with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

+ 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

could be one of the reasons why the vendor is selling the place: unfriendly neighbour refusing to cut trees.

Be wary of any reply from the Vendor which implies the trees will be cut later, sometime.. in the Summer, neighbour is busy, travelling.. and promised to get to it as soon as they have the time etc. meanwhile do you want to buy the house or not?

I would never buy a house if the garden was in shade most of the day, it really would get me down: moss, damp, limited choice in planting you own shrubs, flowers etc. and it would be very dark in Winter, dull in Summer.

Approached EA and it's basically a No.

He won't even bother passing on the request to the vendor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

At least you know where you stand.

djimi wrote: »
    At least you know where you stand.

Absolutely.

The EA was seriously irritated at the question. Didn't think it was an important issue. Bet he would've if it was his back garden! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

If your very interested you could still casually approach the neighbour yourself, tell them you thinking of buying, have a chat about the area, tell them you concerned about the trees, tell them you will pay to get them cut back if they don't mind them being cut, see their reaction, maybe they can't afford to get them cut back at the minute and would be delighted if you offered to help, remember the trees have there garden in shade a lot too, I wouldn't give up on the house without at least approaching the neighbour.

They seem to be at the south west corner of the garden so definitely need to be cut as this would be where the sun comes from on a nice evening so there would be no light in your garden in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

quad_red wrote: »
    Absolutely.

The EA was seriously irritated at the question. Didn't think it was an important issue. Bet he would've if it was his back garden! :)

Why on earth would the EA be irritated by the question.. what is wrong with him? If you're interested in a property, and would like to make an offer, but are concerned about the neighbour's trees, you have every right to ask about it and get a answer. It is his job to ask the Vendor and get back to you.. That is the EA's job is it not? He doesn't own the house and should not be answering a question without consulting the vendor first.

This sort of non-professional EA carry-on makes me so mad.

I would tell the EA that your question is a a legitimate one and get him to ask the vendor.. If not you will go direct to the vendor yourself and have a chat with him/her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Yes, you have no chance in hell. You don't own the house, your looking at buying a house and prior to buying it you want the neighbours to agree to your cutting down and replacing their trees to ensure you have more light, you can ask and you have balls that's all i'll say. :-)

Not necessarily.

If the roots of the trees are growing onto your land then that puts the owner in a stronger position. I don't know what a conifer grows like but I'm aware of a neighbour to neighbour dispute over a huge evergreen blocking light.

One neighbour wouldn't cut the tree back and wasn't willing to even hear of any suggestion of it. But he should have negotiated because the roots had grown into the other neighbours land. So as one guy wouldn't cut them back the other guy dug up some of his garden and injected lead into the roots and killed the tree altogether- the trees roots were on his property so he felt he had the right to do this.

The other neighbour never found out how his tree suddenly died but even if he did taking a case over it would most likely have been futile as you'd be going up against property rights which are very well enshrined in law.

Advertisement