Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passport requirement travelling to UK

• 24-03-2013 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I am travelling with my two sons to London on Thursday but i realised my 9 yr olds passport has expired. I am travelling with aer lingus from shannon to heathrow. According to Aer Lingus's website

"Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel
    Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian."

Has anybody had any experience of this i just need to be sure i will have no issues particularly coming back from Heathrow.

Was also wondering if anybody knew if i were to go to the passport office tomorrow could i get a passport

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You should be fine. You don't go through passport control entering or leaving Heathrow so you'll only be dealing with AL people. If you get out fine you'll get back fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Ring the airline to be absolutely sure.

You should be fine, I flew to Heathrow and back by Gatwick with Aer Lingus 2 weeks ago with a drivers license. And when you get to Heathrow as the previous poster mentioned you won't go through passport control.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 aherringterm

Send them an email to be absolutely sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Put him the suitcase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Get Real

Hey OP.

As far as I'm aware you only need photo ID to travel to the UK. Not explicitly a passport. I know though you are particularly interested with whether or not your child will be able to travel.

On the Department of Foreign Affairs website- "Passports are required for travel to all countries except the United Kingdom. (However, you should note that some airlines now require photo-ID for flights to the UK)"

This would suggest its solely up to the airline to decide, even on your child travelling.

To answer your second question, based on my experience you will most certainly not get a passport by Thurs. I applied for an express passport to go to Berlin in November, and it took 9days.

I know this answer may not be of much help, but hope it clarifies some parts or maybe what you could do next. Personally all I have to say is, maybe ring both your airline and the passport office tomorrow, re travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

I travel to/from Heathrow twice a week. You need a passport or national photo id at minimum when returning from Heathrow 100%, check with airline for confirmation all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

Last year I had a bad passport ( had it for 10 years and it was dodgy). I gave them other photo ID and was told I need a passport. Also was able to get a passport within the day. I would recommend giving the them a shout and then going to get a passport if needed, you can get it within a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

dm09 wrote: »
    I travel to/from Heathrow twice a week. You need a passport or national photo id at minimum when returning from Heathrow 100%, check with airline for confirmation all the same!

I always use a driving licence and never have a problem at Heathrow. I go 5-6 times a year. They don't check anything on landing at Heathrow but they always check at Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

Two of us got the ferry across for work a week or two back, I brought my eldest son as well. On the way back,I told him to have his passport ready or he wouldn't be allowed back into Ireland(knowing well he didn't have it). Going back through customs he hid himself in the back of the van under some jackets, cacking it that he would be found and treated as an illegal immigrant. We giggled a fair bit and made sure to bump over as many potholes and speed bumps as we could find on the way out of Dublin Port.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Nuclear Wheelchair

LIES

I always use a driving licence and never have a problem at Heathrow. I go 5-6 times a year. They don't check anything on landing at Heathrow but they always check at Shannon.

Ye I can't comment on Heathrow checks as I mostly go there for flight transfers but coming into Ireland regardless of where your flight originated you always go through immigration and require passport/driving license or other national id.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Dwork wrote: »
    Two of us got the ferry across for work a week or two back, I brought my eldest son as well. On the way back,I told him to have his passport ready or he wouldn't be allowed back into Ireland(knowing well he didn't have it). Going back through customs he hid himself in the back of the van under some jackets, cacking it that he would be found and treated as an illegal immigrant. We giggled a fair bit and made sure to bump over as many potholes and speed bumps as we could find on the way out of Dublin Port.

What would you have done if you were randomly stopped?? That would look very dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭murria

As you say OP, the Aer Lingus website states that children under 16 travelling with their parent/guardian do not need photo ID, so unless you or your child are not Irish or UK citizens, you will be fine.

Its the Ryanair photo ID policy that has everyone confused about regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Dwork wrote: »
    he would be found and treated as an illegal immigrant. .

According to After Hours he would get a free house and welfare and start to steal wimmins :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

What would you have done if you were randomly stopped?? That would look very dodgy.
    Err, laughed our holes off as he was detained for acting suspiciously? Denied having ever seen him before and claimed he was a stowaway? Sent him food parcels and sworn blind we were doing our best to find his passport for a few days? The whole "looking dodgy" thing is sort of a given anyway. I think the word you wanted was "dodgier". Also, juvenile. Pretty much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Nuclear Wheelchair

LIES

mon one wrote: »
    I am travelling with my two sons to London on Thursday but i realised my 9 yr olds passport has expired. I am travelling with aer lingus from shannon to heathrow. According to Aer Lingus's website

"Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel
    Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian."

Has anybody had any experience of this i just need to be sure i will have no issues particularly coming back from Heathrow.

Was also wondering if anybody knew if i were to go to the passport office tomorrow could i get a passport
    3 day turnaround minimum with a copy of the flight details, application, birth cert and previous passport. You'll get it wednesday:)

murria wrote: »
    As you say OP, the Aer Lingus website states that children under 16 travelling with their parent/guardian do not need photo ID, so unless you or your child are not Irish or UK citizens, you will be fine.

Its the Ryanair photo ID policy that has everyone confused about regulations.

Aer Lingus' policy regarding identification are for conditions to travel with them, ie permission to board their aircraft separate to National documentation checks which are carried out by immigration staff at airports.

kevc2 wrote: »
    Last year I had a bad passport ( had it for 10 years and it was dodgy). I gave them other photo ID and was told I need a passport. Also was able to get a passport within the day. I would recommend giving the them a shout and then going to get a passport if needed, you can get it within a day.
    Strictly thats not true, only in extreme cases and depending on how busy they are.

Ryanair only accepts Passports these days which is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Eera they never even look at them properly anyway, you'd probably get away with the out of date one ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

Strictly thats not true, only in extreme cases and depending on how busy they are.

I was able to get a passport within a day last year, walked into the passport office with all my details, sat there all day, not a bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

What's ridiculous about only accepting passports? Do you know how easily licences can be altered or made?

kevc2 wrote: »
    I was able to get a passport within a day last year, walked into the passport office with all my details, sat there all day, not a bother
    Im not saying its not possible. Just its crazy the amount of people that think they can during busy season and are turned away.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    What's ridiculous about only accepting passports? Do you know how easily licences can be altered or made?
    Yes i do and so are passports.

As a precaution, I would bring his expired passport with you. You do not need a passport for travel between Ireland and UK but for security measures photgraphic I'd is needed.

It's highly unlikely but if you do encounter immigration issues and show them your Irish passport, they can still cross reference the info with you son's expired passport.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you just enjoy your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

LIES

Any further details or are you just trolling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I got my passport renewed in a day last year when I went to the office no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Yes i do and so are passports.

Not even nearly comparable. Me and a load of my friends had fake licences made for us when we were 16 to say we were 18 for 15 quid by some lad in the year below us.

There are loads of people who can make licences handily, why do you think fake passports go for thousands?

Advertisement