Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non English speaking countries

• 24-03-2013 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'm hoping to move to a non English speaking country soon.
    Anyway, I'll know nobody there.
    Will it be hard for me to speak the language?
    Can anyone give me advice/tips from experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I'm sorry Ted I was going to answer but I'm afraid your post simply isn't vague enough for me!!!! I'm just overwhelmed with all the information you gave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Er, which country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Japan

Speaking foreign is easy just yell loudly and slowly in English
    My experience with being in Foreign is that it's easy as long as you follow the above. No exceptions, variation, or different culture to think about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 aherringterm

Any "non english" countries in particular? Do you know any "non english" languages already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Rastadoyle

dont mention the war

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr. Wong

I hear that country in Asia is good, you know, the one with all the Asians in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

Japan

a few of my well travelled mates went there and it was the only country they've been to that they suffered genuine culture shock:pac:

I went to holland on my own donkey years ago...alot of people can speak english and you can find expats living there so you never felt completely isolated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

So your turning Japanese your turning japanese you really think so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4 xamanap

Almost any japanese speak english.

• Advertisement

• Yes. Japanese is very hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I hear as long as you hate whale and dolphin you're in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I definitely suggest that you get a Japanese phrase book at least. It should have a wide assortment of everyday phrases that might prove useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kwiva-g

Here's a link to an article by a guy who moved to Japan... illuminating stuff!
    http://www.cracked.com/article_20118_5-things-nobody-tells-you-about-living-in-japan.html

I'm sorry Ted I was going to answer but I'm afraid your post simply isn't vague enough for me!!!! I'm just overwhelmed with all the information you gave
    At least give me an opinion :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

Japan
    You don't just need to learn the language, you need to learn the culture and manners too, especially if you want to do business. They think and relate differently. You'll be confused and bewildered at first.

At least give me an opinion :P

Yes

.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Non English speaking countries....when are they gonna get with the fukking program?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 aherringterm

Dunno why you'd want to go there they wouldnt understand a word you said to them probably with the Irish accent, its a shame really cause most people from foreign countries love the irish accent that we use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

a few of my well travelled mates went there and it was the only country they've been to that they suffered genuine culture shock:pac:

I went to holland on my own donkey years ago...alot of people can speak english and you can find expats living there so you never felt completely isolated

It must have taken you a fuckin long time to get there, I'm surprised it didn't drown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't worry, after 20 years you'll thinking "私は何を考えていた。日本人は簡単です。"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Teddy please stay on Boards, I love your threads.

As for living in a non English speaking country, I found a phrase book and a smile brought me a long way. Make an effort with the language when you can and just be nice and people will be generally helpful. You'd be surprised how qui key you pick it up.

Yo Ted
    Check out this thread and blog
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73467960

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Japan

Learn this phrase

NO SPEAKO DAGO

It doesn't matter what country your in, they all seem to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I spent a few months in spain. My friends taught me spanish. Bastards. After the first week I asked a girl for a light for my cigarette. Pardone, No habla Espana. Como estas fuego.

So years later when I was in another spanish speaking country, I started lesons. I spent the first two weeks learning how to pronounce spanish words. Just reading childremns books whilst being corrected by my teacher. After that I learned vocab. I reconed that if I knew how to say something at least I could revert to a phrase book.

Best thing to do initially is learn a few common phrases. Thank you, sorry, please etc.

After that work on your vocab.

In the meanwhile, see if you can find some expat boards online. You'll find in most countries there are social clubs where you can go along to events. Learning another language is all well and good. But if you wait until you learn Japanese to start making friends you'll be lonely.

I'm sure you figured out most of that yourself. BTW, let us know how it works out. I'm considering heading to Japan or China in September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I lived in both French and German speaking regions of Switzerland, it's kinda up to how much effort you put in. Drinking every night and talking to locals will help you.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

I'm hoping to move to a non English speaking country soon.
    Anyway, I'll know nobody there.
    Will it be hard for me to speak the language?
    Can anyone give me advice/tips from experience?

Start with the basics, hello, goodbye, thanks etc, and start watching the news, listening to radio. Get a feel for the language and use every opportunity to practice. I've been in your position, and the locals always appreciate the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It must have taken you a fuckin long time to get there, I'm surprised it didn't drown.
    lol,yeah I'm only back:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

xamanap wrote: »

I heard that in Tokyo, you'd rarely find someone who can speak English! :rolleyes:
    If you learned the Japanese alphabet or whatever, you could be able to learn it. You'd have to learn the language sometime if you plan on living their for a long time. ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

Drinking every night and talking to locals will help you.

Jaysus, without knowing it I was preparing for my move to Germany years in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

xamanap wrote: »

No, they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

Top tip for japan, just greet everyone you meet with a cheery "Baka!"

It's like our "howya!" Goes over a treat that you make the effort.;) Don't forget now, otherwise they'll think you're rude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

lol,yeah I'm only back:pac:

Hee haw:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

opti0nal wrote: »
    You don't just need to learn the language, you need to learn the culture and manners too, especially if you want to do business. They think and relate differently. You'll be confused and bewildered at first.

Yes, for example, they love it when random strangers take their earphones out of their ears on the bullet train.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

Yes, for example, they love it when random strangers take their earphones out of their ears on the bullet train.
    Also, if anyone gives you a business card, don't look at it, just ram it into your pocket. When offered to "go for tea", simply reply that you prefer Coffee. Saves a lot of hassle. Especially if you have smelly feet.

Rasheed wrote: »
    Teddy please stay on Boards, I love your threads.

As for living in a non English speaking country, I found a phrase book and a smile brought me a long way. Make an effort with the language when you can and just be nice and people will be generally helpful. You'd be surprised how qui key you pick it up.
    Lol. That's nice but you shouldn't say that to me, you'll only feed my ego!!
    My threads are usually ****e too, it's just I start so many :o
    But no, I won't be leaving boards....ever :D (voluntarily at least:P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

ejmaztec wrote: »

Still not as bad as the time I overheard some gobshíte redneck talking to his equally dim witted mate about how they should drive to "japanese" (or "chinese", I forget) because there are loads of cheap alloys there for the honda civic!

SMH wasn't the half of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

A non-English speaking country, you say? Learn Esperanto, you'll be grand.

Advertisement