Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Form

Options
  • 24-03-2013 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend had her purse stolen in Yamamori Noodles last night on South George Street. The staff noticed the person was acting suspicious but did not approach her. Anyway...

They still charged for the meal at the end, I reckoned it was pretty poor form.. What do people think? Poor form or standard business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

mloc123 wrote: »
    My girlfriend had her purse stolen in Yamamori Noodles last night on South George Street. The staff noticed the person was acting suspicious but did not approach her. Anyway...

They still charged for the meal at the end, I reckoned it was pretty poor form.. What do people think? Poor form or standard business?

Standard Business otherwise when it came time to pay everybody would be saying "My purse has been stolen"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

scudzilla wrote: »

Standard Business otherwise when it came time to pay everybody would be saying "My purse has been stolen"

Even having spotted the person that took it and noting they looked suspicious, and have CCTV proof of her doing it?

To me it seems bad, I would have felt at least a token effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Nowt to do with Food or Drink. More of a Consumer Issue...

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

It's always easier to look back and think someone was acting suspicious after the crime has taken place. But realistically at the time how many people would say something unless they caught them in the act?

While it would've been nice for staff to wave the bill, it doesn't sound like they were at fault so why should they be expected to cover the cost?

(on a slightly unrelated note I've always thought yamamori is way overrated anyway and have been dissatisfied with their service in the past, so it doesn't surprise me that they didn't go above and beyond)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Why would you expect then to loose business because your money was stolen that's not there problem

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Even having spotted the person that took it and noting they looked suspicious, and have CCTV proof of her doing it?

To me it seems bad, I would have felt at least a token effort.

Hindsight is 20/20, easy say they could have done something after the event.

At the end of the day its not like a staff member stole the item, the restaurant still provided the service (the food) and as such why shouldn't they get paid?

If the purse was stolen in Tesco while she did her shopping would she expect to get her shopping for free?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Cabaal wrote: »

If the purse was stolen in Tesco while she did her shopping would she expect to get her shopping for free?

Shopping can be put back easily, I doubt the restaurant would have liked the food back though :cool:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Shopping can be put back easily, I doubt the restaurant would have liked the food back though :cool:

Fair point, :pac:
    But issue doesn't change, they still supplied the food so are entitled to payment for it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Fair enough, I guess I am blinded by closeness to the situation.

Apparently the restaurant told the guards there is one guy that comes in and steals handbags/purses on a regular basis... time for them to tighten up on security maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Could it be said then that the restaurant did not do enough to protect their customers from thefts like this? In light of the restaurant telling the Gardai this I would be of the opinion that they are liable for replacing anything that is stolen as they have failed to provide adequate security for their customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Could it be said then that the restaurant did not do enough to protect their customers from thefts like this? In light of the restaurant telling the Gardai this I would be of the opinion that they are liable for replacing anything that is stolen as they have failed to provide adequate security for their customers.

Don't see how the restaurant could be help responsible. At the end of the day you are responsible for your personal belongings and should have kept an eye on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Don't see how the restaurant could be help responsible. At the end of the day you are responsible for your personal belongings and should have kept an eye on it.
    yes you are responsible but once you enter a premises your safety and security become something the proprietor has to look after to an extent. In my opinion the restaurant were negligent by not warning customers of the dangers of these thieves who (from what the staff member told the gardai) they knew were actively working their premises. They should have warned customers regularly so they could take action to protect their belongings.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Fair enough, I guess I am blinded by closeness to the situation.

Apparently the restaurant told the guards there is one guy that comes in and steals handbags/purses on a regular basis... time for them to tighten up on security maybe.

For what it's worth, a friend had their iPhone swiped from their table in the same restaurant.

It's tough, but my opinion is that you are responsible for your own property. i.e. keep phones out of sight & tuck bags under tables etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

People need to take responsibility for their own items and stop looking to pass the blame on others. No matter where you are there is a risk of your items getting stolen. If you need to be warned about this, you need to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

foggy_lad wrote: »
    yes you are responsible but once you enter a premises your safety and security become something the proprietor has to look after to an extent.

Indeed "to an extent" but only in so far as they don't endanger you or put you in harms way. They are not responsible for protecting you against the actions of another person, or for your lapse in attention. It's common sense and only reasonable that customers should look after their own safety and security, especially in a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I think that while they definitely wouldn't have been obliged not to charge you for your meal, it would have been the nice, helpful thing for a business to do for a customer. That said, it depends who was working there at the time - I've been in unfortunate situations like this at work where I wanted to do something for the customer but because my boss wasn't around, I didn't have the authority to do it. It's a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

No, of course not. People need to be less careless with their belongings in public places. Why do people leave phones on tables anyway? Apart from it being anti-social it's practically an invitation to thieves!

Advertisement