Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Friday...where can you legal drink

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

moany wrote: »
    What about all of them poor tourists milling around Temple Bar and there's nowhere open.

The only good thing about Good Friday is seeing the stag and hen parties in Temple Bar looking completely distraught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

i feel sorry for the rest of us having to put up with **** like this because of catholics tbh.

your a catholic, grand dont drink or eat meat but dont try to force the rest of us to do the same
    To be fair I doubt there's that many "Catholics" care whether other people drink on Good Friday anymore.. Alcohol isn't confiscated there is no forcing by Catholics to be like them. The law is outdated period and should be removed off the books. I doubt there would be much resistance.

The rebel and sh*t I won't be able to buy it tomorrow purchasing probably makes the offies a fair bit every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

Tigger wrote: »
    join date may 2012?

Are you actually naive enough to think peoples' join dates are the date they first started using boards. Mine is out by about 7 years. Never been banned or anything just feel like a new personality every couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

;) i think haha, is it actually illegal for pubs to stay open?

pubs can open on good friday but they cant sell alcohol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I'm going to protest outside this dog track could someone bring a hammer and some nails? I will supply my own cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Auldloon wrote: »
    I'm going to protest outside this dog track could someone bring a hammer and some nails? I will supply my own cross.

Your own cross or Harold's? Or Jesus'?

Jaysus how many actually got crucified on the Friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Auldloon wrote: »

Careful now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Thwip! wrote: »
    But you can do that anyway? You dont need to legislate a day for it
    But it puts everyone in the same boat. It makes a day of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Serves ye right for ticking the Catholic box on the census.
    Remember yer thirst the next time you contemplate doing such a thing.

PS. Light up a doobie and have a great Friday, rather than a poxy good Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ferry to Holyhead

Make a day trip out of it.

Foot passenger fare isn't much

i think stena line does a good cheap deal for a day return

me personally im not Catholic so it should be my choice weather or not I can drink on good friday... i find it funny that relics of the old catholic ireland still are enforced. Was down in mayo recently and they shut down the bar for holy hour i was like :eek: that still happens in some places

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 aherringterm

no, we used good friday as reason to get extra cleaning done and had a piss up afterwards

ah rite sorry about that man, just miss read that there ya know, still tho least yas got afew pints in haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Nothin' to stop you drinking....work away. Just make sure you've got your beer on hand beforehand.
    Shutting pubs down the odd day wouldn't be a bad idea to begin with, outdated religious reasons or no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

mikom wrote: »
    Serves ye right for ticking the Catholic box on the census.
    Remember yer thirst the next time you contemplate doing such a thing.

PS. Light up a doobie and have a great Friday, rather than a poxy good Friday.

Or better yet. Stay clean and sober for one frikken day in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Bowlardo wrote: »
    You sure

i know . Just herself and myself are thinking of going to a hotel for the weekend and was wondering would beer be available

Yes , we were away for a few days over Easter last year and drink was served in the bar on Good Friday. Only in the bar though , you couldn't take your drink out the lobby area or to your room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

the no meat thing on good friday bugs me i have an allergy to fish and its like a death trap for me that day if i eat out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

If it was a Tuesday or something we wouldn't have this problem at all. Friday pints are the best pints!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Was the OP drunk when he typed the thread title????

As I often do.................. but not at the behest of the Borgia.
    You go on and kowtow away if you have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It's a good thing the blood of Christ tastes like Cabernet Sauvignon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i dont really think its the not being able to drink so much as being actively stopped from drinking,
    i really couldnt give a flying fcuk about having pints on friday, its being told i cant because of some catholic tradition that pisses me off

i dont really think its the not being able to drink so much as being actively stopped from drinking,
    i really couldnt give a flying fcuk about having pints on friday, its being told i cant because of some catholic tradition that pisses me off

Its the response you get from all the internet atheists.

I'm not catholic either, but, I just accept that the majority of this country are, and its a cultural thing, so I go about my day and don't worry that I can't get smashed in public for one day.

I quite like taking a stroll through town late on Good Friday night, and it not being like a scene from Mogadishu for once.

I quite like taking a stroll through town late on Good Friday night, and it not being like a scene from Mogadishu for once.

Ah yeah...... Mogadishu.......... Where they are predominantly Islamic.

Ah yeah...... Mogadishu.......... Where they are predominantly Islamic.

I was invoking imagery of the chaotic nature of Mogadishu circa 1993. It was a literary device to conjure up a picture of complete anarchy. Obviously lost on you.

i really couldnt give a flying fcuk about having pints on friday, its being told i cant because of some law of the land that pisses me off

I would suggest you get onto your TDs about it then to rabble-rouse ......get it changed to what the majority would prefer.
    It's not some Catholic doctrine you wanna change, its tantamount to a law put in place by the lawmakers of this land, so with enough support, it could be changed.
    If its perceived that the majority don't want it changed, then its tough luck. But, the great thing is, either way, you're not stopped from drinking.......just the purchase of drink is somewhat limited for a small fraction of the drinking year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I was invoking imagery of the chaotic nature of Mogadishu circa 1993. It was a literary device to conjure up a picture of complete anarchy. Obviously lost on you.

I much preferred Mogadishu circa 1988.

Each to their own I suppose.

I was invoking imagery of the chaotic nature of Mogadishu circa 1993. It was a literary device to conjure up a picture of complete anarchy.

Ya don't say.
    I would have never equated warfare with Mogadishu.......

Obviously lost on you.

Keep thinkin' like that pal. ;)
    I may surprise you yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

its 1 day ffs

Let's face it. Relgion is a bunch of bollucks and not being able to buy a drink one day of the year because some guy was mythically resurrected thousands of years ago is even more bullocks.

When our society actually still has laws like this because of this reason in this day and age it ruins my faith in our society being able to be remotely reasonable and think if they can makes laws this absurd maybe some of the others are equally as crazy and why should I bother listening to them.

I plan on getting ****ed up on good Friday and do some illegal public drinking and maybe even burn a bible while I'm at it.

Fine if people in the govt and society wanna be religious and not buy alcohol or drink but don't force it on me,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

McDermotX wrote: »
    I would suggest you get onto your TDs about it then to rabble-rouse ......get it changed to what the majority would prefer.

Shockingly enough, and not to do the whole 'damn the gubbernment' line to death, the opinions of the majority don't seem to matter too much in this democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Think I'll have a nice juicy fillet steak and a glass or two of red wine this Friday.

I don't care that the pubs are closed. I know it's a stupid law, but the people who go on about it are worse.

Get a few friends together and have a house party/dinner party or something - be a bit more creative even if it's for one Friday out of 52.

• Advertisement

StickyIcky wrote: »

I plan on getting ****ed up on good Friday and do some illegal public drinking and maybe even burn a bible while I'm at it.

I'd wager you're going to do no such thing.

Most likely you'll blog about the Angelus impinging on your human rights, or start a thread about knocking down all the churches in the country.

84% of this country is catholic. You're not being oppressed because you can't go and have pints in a pub on good Friday.

Think I'll have a nice juicy fillet steak and a glass or two of red wine this Friday.

I don't care that the pubs are closed. I know it's a stupid law, but the people who go on about it are worse.

Get a few friends together and have a house party/dinner party or something - be a bit more creative even if it's for one Friday out of 52.

This is a mature attitude to have!

kowloon wrote: »
    Shockingly enough, and not to do the whole 'damn the gubbernment' line to death, the opinions of the majority don't seem to matter too much in this democracy.

Perhaps, but that's neither here nor there when it comes to people giving out about the whole GF thing.
    Don't be blaming the church's influence way back when, don't be blaming the current church's 'grip' on this country, don't be blaming Catholics in this country as the reason why this law is in place. (Speaking in generalities here, not as specific posters)
    Put the blame squarely at the law in operation, and if you want something done about it, then go through the process - next time a TD is at your door ask him what he plans to do about GF, write in to TDs about what they plan to do about GF, what do any lobby groups have to say about it ? etc etc etc

Otherwise, strap yourselves in for another 24hrs where you cannot spend on drink the way everybody must the other 360+ days in the year, and seemingly haven't got the wherewithal or fortitude to plan around it.

I'd say 'God give me strength! :mad:', but that would be hopped on as yet another religious influence run amok in this enlightened country of ours.

I'd wager you're going to do no such thing.

Most likely you'll blog about the Angelus impinging on your human rights, or start a thread about knocking down all the churches in the country.

84% of this country is catholic. You're not being oppressed because you can't go and have pints in a pub on good Friday.

84% of the country may have ticked that box on the census but 84% of the country aren't Catholic. A large percentage of the box ticking population will be going to great lengths to drink on Friday.

I, like many of the other posters on this thread, don't like being told how to behave without a just reason. You don't mind being told what to do. That's your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Actually a more important question is can late bars and nightclubs open after midnight, since technically that'll be Easter Saturday? If so then it's not such a big deal, I mean who goes to a club before midnight anyway?

Possibly a more interesting question is, do late bars and clubs have to close early on Thursday night?

humbert wrote: »
    84% of the country may have ticked that box on the census but 84% of the country aren't Catholic. A large percentage of the box ticking population will be going to great lengths to drink on Friday.

No true Scotsman stuff. You can't tell someone that they're not a true catholic, because you say so. They identify as Catholic, they're Catholic.

I remember before the census, all the campaigns, and efforts people went to to try and pressurise people into ticking no religion. The atheist lobby was shivering with anticipation of a major drop off in the number of Catholics. It seemed like they thought the census was important before the results were published. As soon as they realised it didn't suit their agenda, they just wave it off.
    I, like many of the other posters on this thread, don't like being told how to behave without a just reason. You don't mind being told what to do. That's your choice.

You have been given a reason. Its the law, as decided by the people. You may not be happy that you live in a Catholic country, but you do.

No true Scotsman stuff. You can't tell someone that they're not a true catholic, because you say so. They identify as Catholic, they're Catholic.

I remember before the census, all the campaigns, and efforts people went to to try and pressurise people into ticking no religion. The atheist lobby was shivering with anticipation of a major drop off in the number of Catholics. It seemed like they thought the census was important before the results were published. As soon as they realised it didn't suit their agenda, they just wave it off.

You have been given a reason. Its the law, as decided by the people. You may not be happy that you live in a Catholic country, but you do.

You can't say it just because you say so either. Mr know it all.

It might be the law but that doesnt mean all laws arent bloody stupid.

There are a specific set of beliefs that distinguish Catholics from other Christians, and other religions in general.

It's not a case of "No True Scotsman", it's a case of adhering to the doctrine of the Church you purport to follow.

If I told you I don't believe in God you'd be well within reason to dismiss my claims of being Islamic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Can i just ask if people find it a stupid law to close the pubs on good Friday & would like to see them open,would they also like to see them open on Christmas day?
    I for one think in this day & age that the good Friday closure of pubs is silly but wonder if it was changed would it have to include Christmas day

• Advertisement

Seachmall wrote: »
    There are a specific set of beliefs that distinguish Catholics from other Christian's, and other religions in general.

It's not a case of "No True Scotsman", it's a case of adhering to the doctrine of the Church you purport to follow.

No, because then there would be about 4 'actual' Catholics in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Possibly a more interesting question is, do late bars and clubs have to close early on Thursday night?

Yes, all must shut at the dot of 12 on Thursday night.

Love Good Friday myself.

If it stopped being a special religious day, and became just a normal day, then I doubt very much my 9-5 office would be shut.

So I'm willing to take the inconvenience of having to buy my drink the day before for the super mega bonus of having the Friday off.

I quite like the day anyway, the ultimate 'nothing much to do but laze around day'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

its 1 day ffs
    no, not good enough, i should be able to drink when i see fit, this law is backward and has no place in a modern society, if people want to observe it fine i've no problem with that but i should be able to go to a pub on good friday if i want to and if i don't well then i don't.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

And?

Now that sounds like my kind of heaven :-P

Ah, the law.
    I think my favorite one is the blasphemy law of 2010........... as decided by the people, in the best possible taste.

• Advertisement

Seachmall wrote: »
    And?

You ascribing a definition which is flawed.

Being a Catholic means believing in the Catholic church's teachings. If you don't follow them through human weakness, that doesn't make you no longer a Catholic, it just means you suck at being one.

I'm not a catholic myself, was raised in a different religious setting, but as I understand it, the church believes anyone who is baptised is a catholic. So surely, if the church says that they are Catholic, and they identify as Catholic, then they're freaking Catholics??

If there was a large drop it would be a powerful indication of the changing views of the people of this country but its not having changed doesn't indicate that people's views aren't changing. If you don't do any of the things the church teaches then you are not a Catholic any more than me calling myself a Muslim would make me a Muslim or calling myself the son of God would make me Jesus.

More importantly you are implying that because 84% percent ticked the Catholic box 84% percent agree with the banning of alcohol, which is patently false.

I didn't say I needed a reason, I said I need a reason I felt was just. An antiquated law that hasn't been repealed because the people who support the ban feel much more strongly about it and would be much more vocal than the people who would like to see it abolished isn't a just reason.

Accepting something solely on the basis that 'it's the law' or 'we live in a Catholic country' is moronic.

Ah, the law.
    I think my favorite one is the blasphemy law of 2010........... as decided by the people, in the best possible taste.

Do you understand how a constitutional democracy works?

The minister at the time was just aligning what our constitution says with our legislation. It was a loophole that needed closing.

Personally, I'd be against the law (and I believe its unenforceable) but I will obey it none the less, as I have respect for the law of the land.

You ascribing a definition which is flawed.

Being a Catholic means believing in the Catholic church's teachings. If you don't follow them through human weakness, that doesn't make you no longer a Catholic, it just means you suck at being one.

I'm not a catholic myself, was raised in a different religious setting, but as I understand it, the church believes anyone who is baptised is a catholic. So surely, if the church says that they are Catholic, and they identify as Catholic, then they're freaking Catholics??

Oh yeah because some pedo splashed water on my head when I was a baby that gives them the right to claim me as a Catholic does it?

Jog off pal.

Being a Catholic means believing in the Catholic church's teachings.

And how many Catholics genuinely believe they consume the body and blood of Christ?

I'd guess not many but apparently I don't need to.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement