Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Friday...where can you legal drink

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Do you understand how a constitutional democracy works?

Yes.
    The minister at the time was just aligning what our constitution says with our legislation. It was a loophole that needed closing.

Realignment promised as well as loophole to be re-opened.
    Making it up as they go along
    Personally, I'd be against the law (and I believe its unenforceable) but I will obey it none the less, as I have respect for the law of the land.

Maith an fear.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

StickyIcky wrote: »
    Oh yeah because some pedo splashed water on my head when I was a baby that gives them the right to claim me as a Catholic does it?

Jog off pal.

You missed the important part where I said the person self-identifies as a Catholic.

You seem like a charming fella though. Calling your Parish Priest, the man who provided spiritual guidance for you in your formative years a "pedo(sic)". Disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Oh yeah because some pedo splashed water on my head when I was a baby that gives them the right to claim me as a Catholic does it?

Jog off pal.
    If you got baptized your parents must of allowed "the pedo" to splash water on your head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

You missed the important part where I said the person self-identifies as a Catholic.

You seem like a charming fella though. Calling your Parish Priest, the man who provided spiritual guidance for you in your formative years a "pedo(sic)". Disgraceful.

Actually he was a pedo pal, he went to jail for it and everything. Really lucky for me cus I was 7 and an alter boy at the time and he used to call me his special one and ask me did I know what that meant, like I was supposed to know. Luckily he got dragged off to jail before he got his filthy rotten disgusting pedo hands on me but not so lucky for those two poor boys who reported him.

So yeah, like I said before pal. Jog off and don't judge people while you're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I love Good Friday , only time OH ever gets a Friday night off.

Calling your Parish Priest, the man who provided spiritual guidance for you in your formative years a "pedo(sic)". Disgraceful.
    Actually he was a pedo pal, he went to jail for it and everything. Really lucky for me cus I was 7 and an alter boy at the time and he used to call me his special one and ask me did I know what that meant, like I was supposed to know. Luckily he got dragged off to jail before he got his filthy rotten disgusting pedo hands on me but not so lucky for those two poor boys who reported him.

Disgraceful.
    Still, he was probably a kiddie fiddler via constitutional democracy.

So yeah, like I said before pal. Jog off and don't judge people while you're at it.

Apologies. Sounds like a nasty character. I thought you were just calling the man a paedophile because he was a priest (It's a common thing for internet atheists to do). Didn't realise you meant it in the actual sense of the word. Hope the man received a harsh sentence.

mikom wrote: »
    Still, he was probably a kiddie fiddler via constitutional democracy.

Can you expand on what you mean. I'm not catching your drift?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

84% of this country is catholic.
    no it isn't, a large number of people just put "catholic" down on forms but don't practice the religion and spend most of their lives criticising it.
    You're not being oppressed because you can't go and have pints in a pub on good Friday.
    no, but i'm having a law which was brought in for religious reasons forced down my throat, as i said if people want to observe not eating meat or not drinking on good friday, fine, thats their right, i don't have one problem with it, but just don't force your beliefs on me, that is all that is being said

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I'm delighted the pubs are shut on good Friday. The law forbids me to have a toke 365 days of the year, so I'm delighted all ye alchos can't get a beer. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Apologies. Sounds like a nasty character. I thought you were just calling the man a paedophile because he was a priest (It's a common thing for internet atheists to do). Didn't realise you meant it in the actual sense of the word. Hope the man received a harsh sentence.

That's what happens when you make assumptions pal. Try to keep an open mind and realise that half the things you think or assume might not actually be true. Remeber humanity believed in things for hundreds of years before we all collectively realised we were wrong. And just because the majority of us believe something now, or follow some law now, doesn't mean we're right either or that law or belief system will be abolished and will be seen as being as archaic as a flat earth or a wind god or a sun that revolves around the earth does now.

Any belief system that infringes on peoples rights to be free and do as they please as long as they don't hurt anyone else is what should against the law in my opinion.

Can you expand on what you mean. I'm not catching your drift?

Well spotted on the breach of the blasphemy law as brought in via constitutional democracy.....

Calling your Parish Priest, the man who provided spiritual guidance for you in your formative years a "pedo(sic)". Disgraceful.

You can't tell someone that they're not a true catholic, because you say so. They identify as Catholic, they're Catholic.
    rubbish, you don't identify yourself as being part of a religion that you don't practice in any way, it would be like me putting muslim down on a form as my religion even though i don't practice any religion and don't believe in it
    Its the law, as decided by the people.
    realy? was their a referendum on it? if not, then it wasn't decided by the people, but the government.
    You may not be happy that you live in a Catholic country, but you do.
    were not a catholic country anymore, we have many religions these days and as has been said many people just tick catholic on a form but laugh at the religion.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Anybody who has an issue with the current law in place, get onto a few of these lads and highlight it to any group who can raise public awareness etc etc

http://www.oireachtas.ie/members-hist/default.asp?housetype=0

No point bleating on about the Church and Catholics on here.....they won't be able to help you. We're all subject to the law in place whatever would be decided in any question around a current laws' validity.
    If you're happy the way it is or are just happy to mouth off on an internet forum about how your 'rights' are being impinged, good luck to you - as far as the law is concerned, you're clearly happy to continue on.

rubbish, you don't identify yourself as being part of a religion that you don't practice in any way, it would be like me putting muslim down on a form as my religion even though i don't practice any religion and don't believe in it
    No it wouldn't. You do not believe yourself to be a Muslim, you do not believe in the teachings of Islam. You are not culturally Islamic. You are not a Muslim.

That's not what I described with people who ticked Catholic. They meet all of the above criteria.
    realy? was their a referendum on it? if not, then it wasn't decided by the people, but the government.

You can't have a referendum on every little thing for God's sake! A country can't run like that. No-one is going to hold a referendum with the Question "Should we all be allowed get pissed on Good Friday" Get real.

You have to follow the democratic process. Lobby your TD if you feel strongly about it. Get others to do the same. If you gather enough support (You won't as 84% of people are Catholic) then you can get them to change the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

its 1 day ffs

One person not invited to my GF party.:)

If you gather enough support (You won't as 84% of people are Catholic)
    how won't i? just because somebody ticks the catholic box even though they don't practice or have anything to do with the religion doesn't mean they won't support me, whether you like it or not 84 % of the people in this country are not catholic so i don't see why i won't have much support, claiming to be something doesn't make you that something.

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

Lets celebrate Jesus dying

I'm all up for celebrating a fairy tale.

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

no, not good enough, i should be able to drink when i see fit, this law is backward and has no place in a modern society, if people want to observe it fine i've no problem with that but i should be able to go to a pub on good friday if i want to and if i don't well then i don't.

Spot on. Religon should have no input into the day to day running of a country. You want to observe GF, knock yourself out. Leave me out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

bluewolf wrote: »
    You can legally drink in your home :confused:

Yes but James O'Reilly is going to tax the **** out of that because the Vinter's Federation HSE want you drinking in the pub! It's healthier apparantly and it's for your own good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

You can't have a referendum on every little thing for God's sake! A country can't run like that. No-one is going to hold a referendum with the Question "Should we all be allowed get pissed on Good Friday" Get real.

You have to follow the democratic process. Lobby your TD if you feel strongly about it. Get others to do the same. If you gather enough support (You won't as 84% of people are Catholic) then you can get them to change the law.

84% of the country may be catholic, but most of the country (catholics) would prefer the choice of a few scoops whenever they feel like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

its 1 day ffs

I know that there shouldn't be a ban as it's for religious reasons but I just can't muster the energy to give a shít. It's so unimportant.

So yeah, basically what I quoted is how I feel. ^^^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

1ZRed wrote: »
    It's still a Friday to me, personally I love a drink on Friday.

Good Friday should be a choice, if you're religious simply don't drink. I hate how we're all forced into doing it!

Get drink in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

For all the people who 'don't like being told what to do on Good Friday, what exactly have you/are you doing about it?

Nothing is the answer.

The same people will get hammered and forget about it until next year when they feel oppressed again and give out on the internet.

Sadly, a lot of people seem more interested in being opposed to religion on the internet than in real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Do you understand how a constitutional democracy works?

The minister at the time was just aligning what our constitution says with our legislation. It was a loophole that needed closing.

Personally, I'd be against the law (and I believe its unenforceable) but I will obey it none the less, as I have respect for the law of the land.

I'd say something about the duty of disobeyance to wicked laws but there are so many bigger fish to fry first. The constitution needs a bit of reform to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

you can buy a bottle of spirits the day before and just put a brown bag around it, then just drink it anywhere on the streets.

If you see anyone you think you know on the street just give them a yell and start giving out about the banks and the public sector.

Maybe even tell everybody you invented the bbc!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

K.Flyer wrote: »
    84% of the country may be catholic, but most of the country (catholics) would prefer the choice of a few scoops whenever they feel like it.

Possible......hard to know without asking every one of them.

What I do know is that whatever amount of people that is, it appears 100% of them are unwilling/unable/can't be arsed to do anything about the current law, even though its within their power to effect a change.

They seem to be content to either accept a 1 day ban of sale which allows them to save money towards the other 360+ days of drinking, or are just happy to give out about it on the interweb - possibly shaking a fist in the direction of the Vatican, or up to the heavens if they want to avoid the middleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I know that there shouldn't be a ban as it's for religious reasons but I just can't muster the energy to give a shít. It's so unimportant.

So yeah, basically what I quoted is how I feel. ^^^^^
    Easy for you to say, you're not losing 40% of your weekly wages because of some wanker in a hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Can you drink in hotels?

I know you can drink the airport but can you drink in hotels?

good to see the neaderthal attitudes of Paddy hasnt changed :rolleyes:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

while I think it's stupid to have a waining religion dictate people's lives, it's a sad sight when there's so many people who can't survive one day without the pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

Do people expect the government to do the right thing? I don't.

More likely it wouldl be branded "Hello Saturday Morning" then all the catholic bashing/religious rights would disappear and it would be alchos. Maybe put some des bishop on the tele and have a month worth of Failte Ireland and HSE advertising. Maybe roll it out gradually so its once a season!

Nahh they'd probably put a levy on Friday night drinking and get rid of GF to maximise revenues :pac:

If it wasn't for Good Friday drinking I'd probably have forgotten when GF is.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

They'll bend the rule if there's a popular sport on.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

McDermotX wrote: »
    Possible......hard to know without asking every one of them.
    If only we could have one of those things.....Whats it called again??

Oh yeah!! A Census.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Growing up in a small town during Good Friday was torture. Everything was locked down and nobody was around so it became an episode of The Walking Dead, complete with the tedious story and odd shuffling zombie.

Anyways, get beer on Thursday and chillax on the Friday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

its 1 day ffs

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Once the sea is calm,the ferry over to Holyhead is the best option

Well same ole same ole for me. I will be having my annual BBQ as usual - and as usual the moment the smell of BBQing beef and pork and my personal blends of marinades start wafting over the garden fence my über religious neighbour will likely again be out accosting my mates as they go into my land asking them to repent - while in the interim between arrivals flinging "holy" water at and over my fence.

Its like free amusement for us all.

Harolds Cross greyhound track is open on friday and selling drink, according to the announcement on friday night.
    You'll find details of other tracks open Good Friday here:
    http://www.igb.ie/Racing/Upcoming-Events/Upcoming-Race-Cards/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

I know this other lad who booked flights, by this I mean the cheapest flights possible for Good Friday from the airport. He then travelled to the airport, drank in the lounge, as its on international territory and was still open, and then went home to bed after.

The lounge is not international territory, there is an exception under the relevant acts, to allow drink to be served in airports, ferry ports and train stations, so that a traveller can have refreshment. Also can get a drink in restaurant if substantial meal being serve. Of course if resident in hotel can have a drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I'll be drinking until I have to get my stomach pumped.

Take that conservative Catholic society!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

The annoyance of Good Friday has very little to do with the substance of the ban on drink sales (although it's annoying and frustrating to have to plan in advance if you fancy a drink with friends) and everything to do with the reason for the ban. "Lots of people reflexively ticked a box on the census" is not a valid reason for a continuing ban on alcohol sales on a specific religious festival. If it was announced that one day a year was the Barstaff's Day, and that pubs were to remain closed for the specific purpose of letting barstaff have a work event everyone could attend, I'd be okay with that. But the death twenty centuries ago of someone I don't believe in is not a valid reason for telling me I can't buy a bottle of beer.

Is there anyone who genuinely thinks the right to get sloshed in public on Good Friday is something important to them?

To me, its right up there with the other militant atheist whinges, like having the Angelus on TV, having to hear church bells ringing, giving out that there is a Nativity play in their kids school, or that there is a crib on the town square.

It just seems petty and juvenile to me. People seem to forget that they are squarely in the minority, and that really, they should just stop being such a stick in the mud and realise that they live in a country that is dominated (84%) by Catholics. They could do with thinking about the meaning of the phrase "when in Rome.."

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Marsellus Wallace

Once the sea is calm,the ferry over to Holyhead is the best option

This or get a ferry to the Isle of Man, get drunk also take or hire a car because no speed limits :D. Unless your gay, can't remember is it's still a criminal offence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The annoyance of Good Friday has very little to do with the substance of the ban on drink sales (although it's annoying and frustrating to have to plan in advance if you fancy a drink with friends) and everything to do with the reason for the ban. "Lots of people reflexively ticked a box on the census" is not a valid reason for a continuing ban on alcohol sales on a specific religious festival. If it was announced that one day a year was the Barstaff's Day, and that pubs were to remain closed for the specific purpose of letting barstaff have a work event everyone could attend, I'd be okay with that. But the death twenty centuries ago of someone I don't believe in is not a valid reason for telling me I can't buy a bottle of beer.

There are two kinds of control people are subjected to in life:

1) Control by law
    2) Control by culture.

With the Catholic Church we were controlled by 1) & 2) and are now just controlled residually by 1).

With the drink culture we are controlled by 2).

In short you are hardly any kind of an Irish "radical" if you want to drink every friday, or every day, of every year. Take a break.

Also - although this has been done to death - people who are opposed to the religious background of Good Friday should also be opposed to the religious background of Easter Monday. Why should people who want to work, not be allowed to because somebody you don't believe in died 20 centuries ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Is there anyone who genuinely thinks the right to get sloshed in public on Good Friday is something important to them?

To me, its right up there with the other militant atheist whinges, like having the Angelus on TV, having to hear church bells ringing, giving out that there is a Nativity play in their kids school, or that there is a crib on the town square.

It just seems petty and juvenile to me. People seem to forget that they are squarely in the minority, and that really, they should just stop being such a stick in the mud and realise that they live in a country that is dominated (84%) by Catholics. They could do with thinking about the meaning of the phrase "when in Rome.."

Do that 84% shun contraception, pre-marital sex and work on the sabbath? How about meat on a Sunday? How often do you go to confession?
    By the sounds of it the only bit of their poxxy religion your 84% observe are the parts forced on them by law like this drinking in the pub ban.

Get your own house in order before you criticise those who call out the Irish government for contraventions of the ECHR like the blasphemy laws, two-tiered education and yes, the angeles paid for by those who don't even pretend to believe in its catholic message.

84% my hoop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

With the drink culture we are controlled by 2).

In short you are hardly any kind of an Irish "radical" if you want to drink every friday, or every day, of every year. Take a break.

The idea that drinking on Good Friday is, somehow, an act of civil disobedience is preposterous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Karen23 wrote: »
    I love Good Friday , only time OH ever gets a Friday night off.

He's a priest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well same ole same ole for me. I will be having my annual BBQ as usual - and as usual the moment the smell of BBQing beef and pork and my personal blends of marinades start wafting over the garden fence my über religious neighbour will likely again be out accosting my mates as they go into my land asking them to repent - while in the interim between arrivals flinging "holy" water at and over my fence.

Its like free amusement for us all.

Thats sounds awesome can i come?

I was flying out of Dublin airport four or five years ago - while the new terminal was being built.

Some English builders working on the site had finished for the day and were waiting for their girlfriends to join them for the long weekend.

The poor lads couldn't buy a pint to finish the week and start the long weekend so we bought them for them.

If you don't want to have a drink on Friday - don't drink.
    Let the rest of us make up our own minds.

• Advertisement

They could do with thinking about the meaning of the phrase "when in Rome.."

Go on.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement