Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Friday...where can you legal drink

Comments

Is there anyone who genuinely thinks the right to get sloshed in public on Good Friday is something important to them?

To me, its right up there with the other militant atheist whinges, like having the Angelus on TV, having to hear church bells ringing, giving out that there is a Nativity play in their kids school, or that there is a crib on the town square.

It just seems petty and juvenile to me. People seem to forget that they are squarely in the minority, and that really, they should just stop being such a stick in the mud and realise that they live in a country that is dominated (84%) by Catholics. They could do with thinking about the meaning of the phrase "when in Rome.."

I think the fuss over not drinking for one day is ridiculous, and so are the stories about stocking up.

But I also completely disagree that people choosing to practise their own religion should have this in law and to hell with the rest of us. Particularly since that 84% figure is very suspect, not to mention the "catholic church have a special place in ireland" part of the constitution is long removed.
    I would wager that very few of this 84% actively practise everything else associated with the religion and it's just pick and choose. Which they can do if they want, however ridiculous, but it shouldn't impinge by law on everyone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Well same ole same ole for me. I will be having my annual BBQ as usual - and as usual the moment the smell of BBQing beef and pork and my personal blends of marinades start wafting over the garden fence my über religious neighbour will likely again be out accosting my mates as they go into my land asking them to repent - while in the interim between arrivals flinging "holy" water at and over my fence.

Its like free amusement for us all.

Yeah, good man. Stick it to the system.

You're a modern day Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

You have to follow the democratic process. Lobby your TD if you feel strongly about it. Get others to do the same. If you gather enough support (You won't as 84% of people are Catholic) then you can get them to change the law.

By that same logic, a re-introduction of the ban on contraception & divorce is a plausible possibility so.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Thats sounds awesome can i come?

Sure just drive around the vicinity of maynooth and follow your nose. We will have beer and wine too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

bluewolf wrote: »
    But I also completely disagree that people choosing to practise their own religion should have this in law and to hell with the rest of us. Particularly since that 84% figure is very suspect, not to mention the "catholic church have a special place in ireland" part of the constitution is long removed.
    I would wager that very few of this 84% actively practise everything else associated with the religion and it's just pick and choose. Which they can do if they want, however ridiculous, but it shouldn't impinge by law on everyone else.

Fair enough, but all anyone does is moan on the internet about it.

I searched boards and there seems to be a thread nearly every year regarding this.

As I said, the whingers will have forgotten about it by the time their hangover kicks in until next year when they start whinging again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

So we can't drink in pubs. These are the pubs that nobody goes to any more, according to the AH consensus, as they are too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

we should all annoy the hell out of our politicians to get the law changed. like i said earlier its only 1 day so i cant understand why people are desperate to drink but its 2013 not 1950 and its very unfair to tell people (especially non catholics like myself) that we have to abstain to keep the world largest evil cult/pedophile ring happy
    im sure the 'priests' will be tucking into some lovely steak and wine this friday

mikom wrote: »
    Go on.....

"When in Rome, do as the Romans"

The jist of it is don't be a moany contrarian whinger over trivial things, or it is polite, and possibly also advantageous, to abide by the customs of society.

im sure the 'priests' will be tucking into some lovely steak and wine this friday

I'm sure they won't. You might consider abstaining from pointless and tired hyperbole for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

They could do with thinking about the meaning of the phrase "when in Rome.."
    Go on.....

Now the whoosh moment.

The jist of it is don't be a moany contrarian whinger over trivial things, or it is polite, and possibly also advantageous, to abide by the customs of society.

Obviously lost on you......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I am baffled by this. So you don't think any laws should be questioned by the populace if they're considered unjust?

Obviously lost on you......

I don't watch those type of films, so I'm afraid it did go over my head. I'm sure it was very funny though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

we should all annoy the hell out of our politicians to get the law changed. like i said earlier its only 1 day so i cant understand why people are desperate to drink but its 2013 not 1950 and its very unfair to tell people (especially non catholics like myself) that we have to abstain to keep the world largest evil cult/pedophile ring happy

Also make sure that religious holidays are banned. Easter Monday would be a good target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I don't consider it a particularly trivial thing. It's a common weekend for friends to go away as it's a long weekend 3 or 4 days long in most countries. And because of it's proximity to Summer, many stags and hens use it. Dublin and many cites in Ireland attract these groups and would attract more/derive more revenue from its tourist sector if it could serve on the Friday.

Also I live abroad and am coming to Ireland for this coming weekend. Having to arrange family members to buy in alcohol for me as I land too late on Thursday to catch off-licenses' Nanny-state closing hours and obviously Friday is "let's pretend to be good little Catholics" day.

Stupid law.

I don't watch those type of films, so I'm afraid it did go over my head. I'm sure it was very funny though.

When in Rome......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

"Shut up and stop rocking the boat!" - The Nazis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

its 1 day ffs

That's exactly why we have to...

enda1 wrote: »
    I don't consider it a particularly trivial thing. It's a common weekend for friends to go away as it's a long weekend 3 or 4 days long in most countries. And because of it's proximity to Summer, many stags and hens use it. Dublin and many cites in Ireland attract these groups and would attract more/derive more revenue from its tourist sector if it could serve on the Friday.

Also I live abroad and am coming to Ireland for this coming weekend. Having to arrange family members to buy in alcohol for me as I land too late on Thursday to catch off-licenses' Nanny-state closing hours and obviously Friday is "let's pretend to be good little Catholics" day.

Stupid law.

Why is it a 3 or 4 day holiday again?

Am I the only person who sees the absurd hypocrcisy in this. Christmas can be seen as a post pagan, somewhat secular day off. This weekend is all Christian and religious.

If you don't want laws based on Christianity telling you what to do agitate to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

awec wrote: »
    It's an absolutely ridiculous law / rule / whatever to be honest.

It is ridiculous that Catholicism has such a high standing in Ireland, even a special place in the constitution, which results in silly laws that every citizen must abide by regardless of religious persuasion. However, it's two days a year that the pubs close so big deal. I'm more annoyed by the nanny state telling me when I'm allowed or not allowed to buy alcohol the rest of the year.

Seachmall wrote: »

"Shut up and stop rocking the boat!" - The Nazis.

I think this is where, by internet tradition, the thread ends?

• Advertisement

It is ridiculous that Catholicism has such a high standing in Ireland, even a special place in the constitution, which results in silly laws that every citizen must abide by regardless of religious persuasion. However, it's two days a year that the pubs close so big deal. I'm more annoyed by the nanny state telling me when I'm allowed or not allowed to buy alcohol the rest of the year.

There is no special place in the constitution. This isn't the UK.

Why is it a 3 or 4 day holiday again?

Am I the only person who sees the absurd hypocrcisy in this. Christmas can be seen as a post pagan, somewhat secular day off. This weekend is all Christian and religious.

If you don't want laws based on Christianity telling you what to do agitate to work.

Easter is a very Pagan festival. The welcoming of the Spring.

Also I'm self-employed so not getting paid for these days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Also - although this has been done to death - people who are opposed to the religious background of Good Friday should also be opposed to the religious background of Easter Monday. Why should people who want to work, not be allowed to because somebody you don't believe in died 20 centuries ago?

While there is _some_ merit to your point above that we should look into how and why we set our National Bank Holidays, I do not think you are comparing like with like in the above "point" here.

In the case of the "Monday" we are discussing a Bank/Public Holiday. In terms of the "Friday" however you are looking at an otherwise normal day when for no good reason at all businesses are admonished not to sell any of the stock that makes up part of their normal trade.

So it is not like with like. There is no good reason for the prohibition on alcohol any more than there would be for telling a clothes shop on that day that certain types of clothes, but not all, can not be sold because of whatever Jesus wore the day he underwent some relatively minor torture techniques.

True _Tradition_ dictates many people do not drink on that day. So what? It also dictates that many people do not eat meat on that day either.... yet I do not see the law demanding that butchers stay closed. Why target one industry and not the other with this canard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Just buy your tinnies, bring them home, invite a few mates and turn a Good Friday into a Great Friday.

enda1 wrote: »

Easter is a very Pagan festival. The welcoming of the Spring.

Also I'm self-employed so not getting paid for these days off.

The spring/early summer festival in Ireland is Bealtaine, or Bealtac - if you consider feb. to be spring like the celts

The Easter dates follow Passover which is middle eastern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

There is no special place in the constitution. This isn't the UK.

I didn't realise it was removed (40 years ago :o), my mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I think this is where, by internet tradition, the thread ends?

It's certainly an indication the end is near but we've yet to hit on the topic of whether or not God exists, wether all priests are paedophiles, and other related topics of discussion.

While there is _some_ merit to your point above that we should look into how and why we set our National Bank Holidays, I do not think you are comparing like with like in the above "point" here.

In the case of the "Monday" we are discussing a Bank/Public Holiday. In terms of the "Friday" however you are looking at an otherwise normal day when for no good reason at all businesses are admonished not to sell any of the stock that makes up part of their normal trade.

So it is not like with like. There is no good reason for the prohibition on alcohol any more than there would be for telling a clothes shop on that day that certain types of clothes, but not all, can not be sold because of whatever Jesus wore the day he underwent some relatively minor torture techniques.

True _Tradition_ dictates many people do not drink on that day. So what? It also dictates that many people do not eat meat on that day either.... yet I do not see the law demanding that butchers stay closed. Why target one industry and not the other with this canard?

So telling some businesses they can't sell beer and have to close on one day is less of an issue than telling all private sector companies they have to close?

Seachmall wrote: »
    wether all priests are paedophiles

When in Rome.......

• Advertisement

So telling companies they can't sell beer and have to close on one day is less of an issue than telling all private sector companies they have to close?

I did not put any value judgement on it such as "less of" or "More of" an issue. I merely pointed out that your comparison of the Friday with the Monday was not comparing like with like.

Again: One is a National Public Holiday. Now we can have a TANGENTIAL discussion if you like on the merits and demerits of having such Public Holidays.... followed by another discussion on how they are chosen and set.... and whether religious observance should be any part of that criteria.... It is an interesting discussion and we may find much agreement between us while having it.

But it is not the point I was making. I am, again, merely pointing out that your comparison of a National Public Holiday with an otherwise normal day where one single industry is targetted and shut down.... is not a fair like with like comparison.

Whether either one is "more" or "less" of an issue is therefore entirely irrelevant to the point I was making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Here in Catholic Portugal there are no restrictions on purchasing alcohol or opening pubs on Good Friday or Christmas Day. I think think is just an Irish thing to get the dipso's to spend 2 days a year with their families.

The spring/early summer festival in Ireland is Bealtaine, or Bealtac - if you consider feb. to be spring like the celts

The Easter dates follow Passover which is middle eastern.

Its such a pointless argument but to humour you, the early Christian church took on the pagan traditions in order to assimilate the locals so performed their "Easter" incorporating the Pagan traditions of the celebration of life and birth. The made the date moveable in keeping with their view of the bible.

It's all nonsense anyway, just a means of herding the sheep.

Either way, these are days off and a prime opportunity to gather pounds and dollars sorely needed.

Many shops in Germany remain closed on a Sunday because of a law grounded in religious tradition.

I wonder if that causes hysterical overreaction every Saturday over on Boards.de.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I've decided to shelf the drink for the next month to save dollars, so I went out and red bulled the **** out of it and had a great time (although putting up with drunk people in a nightclub wouldve been a step too far!).

Why can't you just give it a miss for the friday? It's one night, and you get your extra drinking night on Sunday because its a long weekend! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    I've decided to shelf the drink for the next month to save dollars, so I went out and red bulled the **** out of it and had a great time (although putting up with drunk people in a nightclub wouldve been a step too far!).

Why can't you just give it a miss for the friday? It's one night, and you get your extra drinking night on Sunday because its a long weekend! :D

It's the principal of it. I'd think it equally stupid if I couldn't drink on a Monday except for the fact that I'm far more inclined to go out on a Friday than a Monday as are most other people.

• Advertisement

Sergeant wrote: »
    Many shops in Germany remain closed on a Sunday because of a law grounded in religious tradition.

I wonder if that causes hysterical overreaction every Saturday over on Boards.de.

Not just many, but most. Over here in Germany Gas Stations and Restaurants can open but very little else. In some areas Bakeries are allowed open for an hour or two because the concept of not having fresh bread of a Sunday Morning sends many Germans into ructions. There are exceptions where each area is allowed once or twice a year to have a what is called "verkaufsoffenesonntage" where all the shops are allowed open on a Sunday. The number of people who flock to these, not just from the area but all surrounding areas, shows how popular it is that shops should open Sundays.

But yes it does cause some controversy. Some people want it changed, some want it kept. It is an ongoing debate. Nor would I call the debate here OR there a "hysterical overreaction" solely because you disagree with the posters.

Again however like Duggys Housemate you are failing to compare like with like here. There is a massive difference between a day where everything is shut down to a day that is in every other way normal but one industry out of them all is targeted and closed... leaving some places closed entirely and others operating as normal in every way except part of their usual trade is shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭JP85

I heard a story that there was a gig in Dublin on good friday and they sold "raffle tickets" and the prize was a drink, so everybodies "raffle tickets" got pulled out, thus everybody got to drink, i dont think they were allowed to do it again though

Again however like Duggys Housemate you are failing to compare like with like here. There is a massive difference between a day where everything is shut down to a day that is in every other way normal but one industry out of them all is targeted and closed... leaving some places closed entirely and others operating as normal in every way except part of their usual trade is shut down.

Rather like they do with the Systembolaget stores in Sweden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I have no problem with not drinking for a night-hell, I stayed in last Friday voluntarily!
    It's the reasoning behind it, and being told I can't drink that irks me.

1ZRed wrote: »
    It's the principal of it. I'd think it equally stupid if I couldn't drink on a Monday except for the fact that I'm far more inclined to go out on a Friday than a Monday as are most other people.

Well you can drink, you just have to buy the drink before friday! You still can't go out (well until clubs open at 12).

It's not a big deal at all to be honest.

And just in case you are wondering, I go out nearly every weekend.

It's doing us a favour IMO!

• Advertisement

Sergeant wrote: »
    Rather like they do with the Systembolaget stores in Sweden?

I have no knowledge of Sweden on this matter at all. So you will have to make your point a little clearer than this for me. However in the interim I merely repeat my point that if we are going to make a discussion about Good Friday Drink Sales then we would do well to compare it to things like it.... and comparing it to Sundays in Germany as you did.... or to National Holidays as DH did above.... is not a fair like-with-like comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Well you can drink, you just have to buy the drink before friday! You still can't go out (well until clubs open at 12).

It's not a big deal at all to be honest.

And just in case you are wondering, I go out nearly every weekend.

It's doing us a favour IMO!

What favour? I don't like to get told what I can't do, especially if it's for bullshít reasons I don't believe in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Careful with that red bull stuff. I enjoy the taste of it myself but had 8 cans one night (from 8pm to 2am) and I went from buzzing to my heart about to explode to serious paranoia and anxiousness - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine#Caffeine_toxicity - so naturally I started to freak out a little bit and my imagination ran wild.

Managed to pull it together enough to drive everyone home and sat wide awake until 5am and woke up a few hours later.

I've had similar episodes after a good few strong coffees but at least those times I knew what was going on.

1ZRed wrote: »
    What favour? I don't like to get told what I can't do, especially if it's for bullshít reasons I don't believe in.

A favour to the Irish people because we drink far too much. Let's not ignore that! Maybe so, I am from a catholic family, but I think religion is a load of balls (with some merit) but I don't believe in any of it, but at the end of a day, 1 day won't kill you!

As for not liking being told what to do, what if I told you that you're not allowed take heroin 365 days a year? Or kill someone? I really don't see the issue with not being able to drink 2 days of the year (good friday and xmas day). Go drink pints of vodka the other 363 days of the year.
    Caliden wrote: »
    Careful with that red bull stuff. I enjoy the taste of it myself but had 8 cans one night (from 8pm to 2am) and I went from buzzing to my heart about to explode to serious paranoia and anxiousness - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine#Caffeine_toxicity - so naturally I started to freak out a little bit and my imagination ran wild.

Managed to pull it together enough to drive everyone home and sat wide awake until 5am and woke up a few hours later.

I've had similar episodes after a good few strong coffees but at least those times I knew what was going on.

Jesus! nice! thanks for the warning! Ya I'm fair wide to that alright, I had 3 cans on saturday (5 p.m. to 12 a.m.) and I even thought that was too much! I mostly had diluted stuff with the odd can of the bull. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I have no problem with not drinking for a night-hell, I stayed in last Friday voluntarily!

I'm in work Saturday. So I wouldn't be drinking on Friday anyway. But I happen to be off work at the moment and two of my best friends arrive back in the country on Thursday so we'll be heading out that night. For the very limited time that the pubs are open.

It's not like I drink a lot any more. Since college started in September I've been out twice. But the stupid fecking country is still in the thrall of the catholic church.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

But it's not one night of our choosing, which is the crux of the matter. Most people don't drink 5 other nights of the week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Theres no law saying you cant drink. You cant purchase alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I dread Good Friday. We live in a terraced house,last year we had a house party on one side of us til 2am. Not fun to listen to a bunch of hicks wahooing and stomping around a kitchen all night. Then at 3am,just after we'd finally fallen asleep, the gobsh*tes on the other side of us arived back from someone elses house and kicked off their party til 11am.

Every fricking year the hicks have a Good Friday house party, so we know that we'll be listening to a gang of drunken twats on at least one side of us this year. Whatever about the young idiots on the other side of us, the hicks are in their late 50's ffs.

I don't know what it is with this country, there seems to be a panic mentality that kicks in at the thought of not being able to access a bar for 1 day. Its pathetic really:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Anyone wrote: »
    Theres no law saying you cant drink. You cant purchase alcohol.

I can't drink in a pub. But I can drink at home along. Or down next to the canal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Grayson wrote: »
    I can't drink in a pub. But I can drink at home along. Or down next to the canal.

Exactly, people are whining about not being allowed to drink. Same people will be whining about the price of a pint in the pubs next week.

Theres something in common here.....whining.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement