Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Approved and Heading out in 3 weeks. Nervous!

Options
  • 24-03-2013 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

After alot of planning, Visas are approved and I'm heading out before my family for 3 months to make sure everything is settled.

We're leaving behind 2 good jobs, although I'm transferring with my company. We've 2 small kids and I'm just hoping we are doing the right thing.

Its tough telling my family my Visas are approved as it all seems very final.
    My wife hasn;t got a job yet, but we're hopefull b the time she arrives she will have something.

We are thinking of living in the Hills district or the North Ryhde area as I will work near here. Any of you guys kknow those areas?

Also, I need to buy some new clothes, buy here before I go or wait til Sydney?

Also what will the weather be like now in Sydney for Autumn winter? As good as Irish Summer?

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Hi,

I can't advise on those areas as I haven't lived there. I probably would prefer to be closer to the city or beaches but I don't have a family so obviously you have a lot of factors to consider. On your other two points...

1) Buy clothes at home - as most people will attest, clothes here are more expensive, of poorer quality and there's less choice.

2) Weather at the moment in Sydney is pretty nice, high 20's and sunny most days - better than an Irish summer. We are obviously in Autumn now though so there's only one way temperatures will go over the next couple of months. Winter won't get cold like home, but it will probably dip down to single figures in July/August (which feels cold when you've acclimatised to here!) A lot of rain falls in Sydney (more annual rainfall than Dublin would you believe!) but it's never drizzly like home, it'll just fall in huge downpours and then you might not see any more for a week.

Best of luck with your move.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

6ix wrote: »
    Hi,

I can't advise on those areas as I haven't lived there. I probably would prefer to be closer to the city or beaches but I don't have a family so obviously you have a lot of factors to consider. On your other two points...

1) Buy clothes at home - as most people will attest, clothes here are more expensive, of poorer quality and there's less choice.

2) Weather at the moment in Sydney is pretty nice, high 20's and sunny most days - better than an Irish summer. We are obviously in Autumn now though so there's only one way temperatures will go over the next couple of months. Winter won't get cold like home, but it will probably dip down to single figures in July/August (which feels cold when you've acclimatised to here!) A lot of rain falls in Sydney (more annual rainfall than Dublin would you believe!) but it's never drizzly like home, it'll just fall in huge downpours and then you might not see any more for a week.

Best of luck with your move.
    Cheers 6ix. I'll be working in North ryde so I just thought initially I'd live closer to work. God, I havn't seen sun in years, I'd love house with big lawn just to sit out and enjoy the sun!
    Cheers for the advice re clothes, think I'll hit TK max the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

clothes are a lot cheaper at home but i would wait until you get here. clothing styles are a fair bit different here and it will be a fair bit warmer than your expecting. i haven't wore a jumper this year yet, and only wear long pants when i'm going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 White Cockatoo

North Ryde and the Hills district would probably suit you well, if you've two kids and fancy a bit of a garden. If you're working at Nth Ryde, then you'll probably find that you won't need to get into the city that much. The shopping centre at Top Ryde has the full array of shops, cinemas and a few decent restaurants.

I guess it all comes down to the rent you can afford. If you were to go with a ballpark of 35% of your weekly takehome, and jump on domain.com.au or realestate.com.au, you'll get a quick handle on where you can afford to live. Those sites have quite good interactive maps that you can use to determine what's available at what cost.

If I were you, I'd take a look at Turramurra which would be a short drive to work and tends to have larger houses/gardens that are spitting distance to the national park. The train line to the city would also be convenient for weekend excursions and you're a comfortable 30 min ish drive to the northern beaches.

Meadowbank would be an ok drive to work and I think is a really nice suburb for families. Lots of playing fields etc down on the river and a 30 min train ride to the city.

I'm sure it's a daunting move, but I did it 10 years ago and haven't looked back. We Irish have it easier than most assimilating into Australian workplaces and lifestyles. The fact that you're getting transferred from a company you know, will only make the transition easier.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Who are you working far, any jobs going?? :). Your very lucky to be in the situation you are in. Enjoy it and give it your best shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Baf50361

OP - same answer as others, particularly White Cockatoo re Turramurra. Nice spot and ok access to City and Northern beaches. North Ryde ok too, but not v exciting. We moved here in Jan with wife and 3 kids (8,13,19). We have a place in Wahroonga, close to Turramurra - a bit sleepy but nice houses etc. I do the drive towards North Ryde most days ... Traffic can be a bit hairy

Happy to link up if you need more info before or after you all come out

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

North Ryde and the Hills district would probably suit you well, if you've two kids and fancy a bit of a garden. If you're working at Nth Ryde, then you'll probably find that you won't need to get into the city that much. The shopping centre at Top Ryde has the full array of shops, cinemas and a few decent restaurants.

I guess it all comes down to the rent you can afford. If you were to go with a ballpark of 35% of your weekly takehome, and jump on domain.com.au or realestate.com.au, you'll get a quick handle on where you can afford to live. Those sites have quite good interactive maps that you can use to determine what's available at what cost.

If I were you, I'd take a look at Turramurra which would be a short drive to work and tends to have larger houses/gardens that are spitting distance to the national park. The train line to the city would also be convenient for weekend excursions and you're a comfortable 30 min ish drive to the northern beaches.

Meadowbank would be an ok drive to work and I think is a really nice suburb for families. Lots of playing fields etc down on the river and a 30 min train ride to the city.

I'm sure it's a daunting move, but I did it 10 years ago and haven't looked back. We Irish have it easier than most assimilating into Australian workplaces and lifestyles. The fact that you're getting transferred from a company you know, will only make the transition easier.

Good luck!

Cheers for that, appreciate the time. I'll definitely take a look at Turramurra/ meadowbank aswell. Cant wait now, just want to get stuck in and get car, house etc sorted.

Advertisement