Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem dog/human.

• 24-03-2013 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Major problem on my hands here and I would appreciate some advice. I have three dogs. Two papillons and a JRTx. We got the JRTx from a pound two years ago and he has been a nightmare ever since. He barks constantly, he has bitten more than five times I would say and he can be very aggressive or dominating.

I have tried everything I know of to try and curb his problems and fix his behaviour but I live with my GF and her father and he is an absolute nightmare when it comes to the dogs. He lets the dog sit up onto his face while watching TV. Pets him when he growls and generally rewards bad behaviour. He is a dog 'expert' and has never been wrong in his life. I've tried explaining things to him but he just ignores me and says nothings wrong. I see the same things happening with our papillon bitch now too so looking to stop this. I know for a fact this man won't change and so will undermine anything that is done to try help the dog.

Basically our local vet suggested we put him down as he has bitten and the local rescues can't do anything for the same reason. So what do I do? Should I try give him to someone who is willing to give the dog what he needs despite the biting etc or do I get him put down? I'm not entirely sure he would be so misbehaved had his bad behaviour not been rewarded.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Who has he bitten? People in the house or when out on walks? It may be an idea to muzzle him in public, with a Baskerville type muzzle.
    Does your girlfriend's father know that the vet recommended him be pts? Are the dogs all neutered?
    I think you really need to consult a qualified behaviourist who will come to your house and assess what the problem is. It has been quite rightly said on here before that, when this type of behaviour is occurring you need a professional. They will be able to identify the reasons behind the behaviour, and work out a behaviour modification programme.
    Of course, this will require the cooperation of everybody in the household. Perhaps your girlfriend's father may be more inclined to listen to an outsider such as a behaviourist.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

mosi wrote: »
    Of course, this will require the cooperation of everybody in the household. Perhaps your girlfriend's father may be more inclined to listen to an outsider such as a behaviourist.

Nail on head! :)

It is part of a good behaviourist's remit to convince the most doubting of owners, and indeed is part of the training given to qualified behaviourists. I would be inclined to point out to him that it's either do something about it, as a united front, or the dog is gone. His choice. You will, of course, have to tip the behaviourist off so that they know the innards of the problem before they arrive, but you might be surprised at how the man could be turned when he's dealing with someone who knows what they're talking about!
    Whereabouts are you? Hopefully between us we can recommend someone who can take on this problem human :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

mosi wrote: »
    Who has he bitten? People in the house or when out on walks? It may be an idea to muzzle him in public, with a Baskerville type muzzle.
    Does your girlfriend's father know that the vet recommended him be pts? Are the dogs all neutered?
    I think you really need to consult a qualified behaviourist who will come to your house and assess what the problem is. It has been quite rightly said on here before that, when this type of behaviour is occurring you need a professional. They will be able to identify the reasons behind the behaviour, and work out a behaviour modification programme.

He has bitten everyone in the family, me more than once. He knows what the options are. We even said last week that things need to change and he still continues.

The dog walks with a muzzle now because he lunges and attacks any dog he sees. Ive a dog behaviour course done myself ut I have organised for a behavourist to come over only for the dad to pull out at the last minute. Perhaps its a case of knowing hes wrong but doesnt want to be told?

He knows whats wrong but his attitude seems to be ah shur what harm! Id love to get someone in but havnt been able to get everyone on board.

Edit: only the jrt is neutered as per the agreement with the pound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

DBB wrote: »

Nail on head! :)

It is part of a good behaviourist's remit to convince the most doubting of owners, and indeed is part of the training given to qualified behaviourists. I would be inclined to point out to him that it's either do something about it, as a united front, or the dog is gone. His choice. You will, of course, have to tip the behaviourist off so that they know the innards of the problem before they arrive, but you might be surprised at how the man could be turned when he's dealing with someone who knows what they're talking about!
    Whereabouts are you? Hopefully between us we can recommend someone who can take on this problem human :D

Hi. Thats the ultimatum he was given but nothing. Thurles area, any ideas? Thanks!

Advertisement