Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Bodyboarding or start longboarding

Options
  • 25-03-2013 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I have been bodyboarding for quite a number of years and i have been back at it for the past 3 years.
    Great past time, Although contary to what some people might think, its not as straight forwards as some people may think...
    Yeah its easy to get out there and catch some waves, without much experience, but to master it with some tricks and style, is some what harder.
    I did invested what would be regarded as hight end gear ie: board made by Turbo costing €200.

I have also surfed with a sit on top kayak, which is great fun, but control is very limited coming down the face...

However i was thinking of giving Longboarding a craic, i just wondered has longboarding got a big learning curve or is it not too bad...
    With my experience catching waves, will that be a help?
    I dont have much interest in the shortboard to be honest, but have always found longboarding interesting.

If there is a big learning curve it may not suit me as much as getting down to the beach regular can be difficult with two small kids, but obviously with the clocks going forward soon, it will give more chance to get down.

Compared to Bodyboarding, is there more or less chance to surf ?
    For example is there more chance to surf with smaller waves on a longboard.
    Or what about surfing in choppier surf, which would be better for surfing between the two.

With my chances of surfing are not always when there are big clean waves, sometimes i have to compromise.
    would i have more or less oppertunities to surf with long or body?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

You could maybe try dropknee on a bigger bodyboard,or try that new board now its like a cross between a dropknee board and surfboard.
    I can't copy and paste here,due to my old mobile.
    But if I find it ill use a desktop and send a link

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

kevmc1180 wrote: »
    I have been bodyboarding for quite a number of years and i have been back at it for the past 3 years.
    Great past time, Although contary to what some people might think, its not as straight forwards as some people may think...
    Yeah its easy to get out there and catch some waves, without much experience, but to master it with some tricks and style, is some what harder.
    I did invested what would be regarded as hight end gear ie: board made by Turbo costing €200.

I have also surfed with a sit on top kayak, which is great fun, but control is very limited coming down the face...

However i was thinking of giving Longboarding a craic, i just wondered has longboarding got a big learning curve or is it not too bad...
    With my experience catching waves, will that be a help?
    I dont have much interest in the shortboard to be honest, but have always found longboarding interesting.

If there is a big learning curve it may not suit me as much as getting down to the beach regular can be difficult with two small kids, but obviously with the clocks going forward soon, it will give more chance to get down.

Compared to Bodyboarding, is there more or less chance to surf ?
    For example is there more chance to surf with smaller waves on a longboard.
    Or what about surfing in choppier surf, which would be better for surfing between the two.

With my chances of surfing are not always when there are big clean waves, sometimes i have to compromise.
    would i have more or less oppertunities to surf with long or body?
    A longboard will give you a lot more opportunities to surf than a bodyboard would, especially over the summer when a bodyboard won't be useable on many small days.

Longboards hold their value so try and pick up one second hand and if you don't like it you will be able to sell it easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭killedsirius

why does it have to be either or. Throw both in the car, if it's huge bodyboard, if it's small longboard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kevmc1180

why does it have to be either or. Throw both in the car, if it's huge bodyboard, if it's small longboard :)

THATS TRUE ACTUALLY..
    ITS TRUE THAT SURFING LONGBOARD IS FUTILE ON BIG DAYS AS IS BODYBOARD ON SMALL DAYS..
    REALISTICALLY LONGBOARDING IS THE BEST ALLROUNDER FOR THE SURF WE GET ON THE SOUTH COAST OF IRELAND...
    WHAT WOULD BE THE CUT OFF POINT FOR A LONGBOARD IN TERMS OF BREAKING SIZE?
    BEFORE ID HAVE TO BRING OUT THE BODYBOARD?

SO CAN I TAKE IT THAT A LONGBOARD IS THE BETTER OPTION FOR SMALLER SURF?

THATS TRUE ACTUALLY..
    ITS TRUE THAT SURFING LONGBOARD IS FUTILE ON BIG DAYS AS IS BODYBOARD ON SMALL DAYS..
    REALISTICALLY LONGBOARDING IS THE BEST ALLROUNDER FOR THE SURF WE GET ON THE SOUTH COAST OF IRELAND...
    WHAT WOULD BE THE CUT OFF POINT FOR A LONGBOARD IN TERMS OF BREAKING SIZE?
    BEFORE ID HAVE TO BRING OUT THE BODYBOARD?

SO CAN I TAKE IT THAT A LONGBOARD IS THE BETTER OPTION FOR SMALLER SURF?

I'm a chickensh**t surfer, hate anything over shoulder high on a rock hard surf-board. Love it on a bodyboard. But for the ankle slappers of the summer and during the waist high days having a lovely glide on a longboard is one of the nicest feelings :) different feeling totally :) anything under shoulder high i find perfect for longboard. But i've seen folks on 4ft+ on longboards but that would freak me out lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭elheffe

thing about longboarding is anybody can pick it up. but to be good at it is a different story. I would rather watch a longboarder surfing a wave and walking up and down the board, noseriding ect than watch a fellow on a short board. was in inchydoney last year and the longboarders down there were some act. A lot of folk say the majority of beaches on the west /south west are more suitable for longboards. although others would disagree. However saying that I would agree with killedsirius why not go with both....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Quick one. I have a big enough bodyboard, but it always feels like I'm "sinking". I'm 6ft odd. Is it just down to my technique. The bodyboard feels very light to me still. It comes up to an inch or so under my belly button, so from what I read, it's roughly the right size, but it sure doesn't feel that way...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

depending on the break you can take a long board out in double overhead plus waves which i've done many times. the thing is to have a path out back which is doable on many of the good reef breaks. a messy beach with close outs isn't going to be much fun on a long board even in smaller conditions. it's all about the stoke whatever way you go, enjoy and don't ever stop trying different things...

seachto7 wrote: »
    Quick one. I have a big enough bodyboard, but it always feels like I'm "sinking". I'm 6ft odd. Is it just down to my technique. The bodyboard feels very light to me still. It comes up to an inch or so under my belly button, so from what I read, it's roughly the right size, but it sure doesn't feel that way...
    http://www.bodyboardhq.co.uk/buyingadvice/advicebodyboards.html

I dealt with bodyboardhq they are very helpful...

I gave them my height,weight,bodyboarding experience etc

They recommended a bat tail and the size of board that would suit my height weight etc with a surlyn slick on the bottom which is great for speed and sliding off the waves.

They didn't want to sell me something too advanced either,I'm happy with my no.6 sting battail much better than my old square tail :)

• Advertisement

Well, back to the OP, chuck both in the car, and it's a win win situation. Take out the longboard for a while. When you get tired, take out the bodyboard. Rinse and repeat.:cool:

Lots of info in that link cheers. I find that I would try to take on waves with a bodyboard that I wouldn't dream of with a longboard.

I just feel I don't have enough flotation on the bodyboard. I must get on to that site. I'd like a decent bodyboard for the simple reason that on days where it's too much for my limited surfing ability, I would have no problem attempting it on a bodyboard. My board comes below my belly button. I kind of feel I'd like something "bigger", or "longer"....

OP
    I got a sit on kayak in the end, although was great fun, not as much fun as bodyboarding at all. I think i will go with longboard for small days alright.
    Gonna flog the kayak.
    What size longboard would i need?
    Im 5ft 7. 11stone

OP
    I got a sit on kayak in the end, although was great fun, not as much fun as bodyboarding at all. I think i will go with longboard for small days alright.
    Gonna flog the kayak.
    What size longboard would i need?
    Im 5ft 7. 11stone

Have you ever thought of the drop knee technique on a longer bodyboard.

I seen a guy dropknee'ing waves last week on a beach break, it looks fun...

Geomy wrote: »
    Have you ever thought of the drop knee technique on a longer bodyboard.

I seen a guy dropknee'ing waves last week on a beach break, it looks fun...

No I hadn't thought of that actually..
    Would really considers this.. could this technique be used on smaller surf like
    2-4ft ??
    Then use traditional bodyboard for the bigger days??

seachto7 wrote: »
    Well, back to the OP, chuck both in the car, and it's a win win situation. Take out the longboard for a while. When you get tired, take out the bodyboard. Rinse and repeat.:cool:

Lots of info in that link cheers. I find that I would try to take on waves with a bodyboard that I wouldn't dream of with a longboard.

I just feel I don't have enough flotation on the bodyboard. I must get on to that site. I'd like a decent bodyboard for the simple reason that on days where it's too much for my limited surfing ability, I would have no problem attempting it on a bodyboard. My board comes below my belly button. I kind of feel I'd like something "bigger", or "longer"....

I got mine from http://www.bigsurf.ie/ its a Turbo. Actually the guy that runs this site is called Pearse.
    He is a sound dude, he didn't have the board I wanted and it wasn't sold in this part of the world, but he got it in for me... I was delighted.
    It is a pretty hight end board and cost around the 200 euro mark but was well worth worth it.. Cracking board...
    Highly recommend the Turbo brand...

No I hadn't thought of that actually..
    Would really considers this.. could this technique be used on smaller surf like
    2-4ft ??
    Then use traditional bodyboard for the bigger days??

Yeah I seen people on 4foot waves drop knee'ing

You can get dropknee boards in bodyboardhq just google it.

It's meant to be hard to learn but it looks fun when you get going.

I'm thinking of buying a second pair of fins, maybe viper fins...
    I have ryan hardy stealth fins but someone told me the viper fins are good for bigger days.

Have you used viper fins ?

Yeah I seen people on 4foot waves drop knee'ing

You can get dropknee boards in bodyboardhq just google it.

It's meant to be hard to learn but it looks fun when you get going.

I'm thinking of buying a second pair of fins, maybe viper fins...
    I have ryan hardy stealth fins but someone told me the viper fins are good for bigger days.

Have you used viper fins ?

Really thinking of getting a stand up bodyboard alright especially for the smaller surf during the summer.
    I have hydro tech fins now. they are fairly comfy but a bit sluggish.
    I had Stealth S2 before they were fast but not so comfy.
    Im wondering what the best.. everyone says churchills, but i wonder are they as good as everyone says???
    Or just overhyped, im sure after all these years churchills have been around there have been better fins on the market.
    I want something with comfort and speed..

I phoned bodyboardhq today about getting a pair of Vipers, they said stick with my Ryan Hardy, they're one the best fins on the market. ...

Suits me well, because they're in my County colours, Clare....

I phoned bodyboardhq today about getting a pair of Vipers, they said stick with my Ryan Hardy, they're one the best fins on the market. ...

Suits me well, because they're in my County colours, Clare....

Cant beat getting fins in your preferred colours.
    I was going to ring bodyboardHQ myself today about the difference between prone boards and DK boards but didn't get round to it...
    Do you know the exact difference.
    My board is a Turbo Damien King replica. With a PE core and surlyn slick 60/40 rails the tail is kingys personal choice I think. Its not Bat, but its called a clipped cresent.

So bodyboardHQ recommend the stealth as best?
    Well they do know their stuff to be fair.

Im definatly changing my Hydro Techs though....
    Like you I have heard that Vipers were good too...

Id ring them up, they're very good at putting people in the right direction.

They won't try and sell you something to make a quick buck, they're more customer oriented and will go through what board you're used to, your ability and budget etc

• Advertisement

Im revisiting the idea of getting a longboard again...
    As I said before im a fairly experienced bodyboarder , is it hard to get the hang of longboarding?
    Im not even interested in short boarding, nut longboarding has always interested me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Im revisiting the idea of getting a longboard again...
    As I said before im a fairly experienced bodyboarder , is it hard to get the hang of longboarding?
    Im not even interested in short boarding, nut longboarding has always interested me...

Depends on what you mean by longboarding. It's a lot easier than getting started on a shortboard i.e. much easier to catch waves, more volume = more stability, you don't really need to pump to create speed, more forgiving of bad technique, very effective in small waves etc etc. Doing it stylishly is the hard part - cross stepping, nose riding etc. Just watch a few vids of Joel Tudor to see how its done properly.

I got mine from http://www.bigsurf.ie/ its a Turbo. Actually the guy that runs this site is called Pearse.
    He is a sound dude, he didn't have the board I wanted and it wasn't sold in this part of the world, but he got it in for me... I was delighted.
    It is a pretty hight end board and cost around the 200 euro mark but was well worth worth it.. Cracking board...
    Highly recommend the Turbo brand...

Must check this out, looking for a BIG bodyboard if possible...

I have a drop knee board ordered.
    I hope to have it by the end of the week.
    Have any of you tried it ?

Advertisement