Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anti-reversal latches

• 25-03-2013 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭

It's been quite a while since I cracked open a gearbox to work on it. I forgot just how tricky they can be to get back together with anything less than 4 hands lol! the anti reversal latch is just being really awkward and won't stay in position for me. does anybody have any tips or advice about working with these fiddly little feckers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭mafo

The best way is to put a small, strong magnet to the back of the shell just under the arl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭captain wow

mafo wrote: »
    The best way is to put a small, strong magnet to the back of the shell just under the arl.

That's a good idea I must try it. what do you mean by the 'arl'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

That's a good idea I must try it. what do you mean by the 'arl'?
    ARL = Anti-reversal latch.

Personally what I do if they're being stubborn is use a small thin screwdriver on the horizonral part of the ARL and just weigh the screwdriver with something heavy e.g. a pliers etc

Patience is key though - take your time and you'll be fine

They're some good ideas you're giving me, hopefully i'll be better prepared for the next go round. you're right though patience is the key

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

i use really thick/sticky silicone grease to hold it in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Hareton

thermo wrote: »
    i use really thick/sticky silicone grease to hold it in place.

+ 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭Searching...

Inari wrote: »
    ARL = Anti-reversal latch.

Personally what I do if they're being stubborn is use a small thin screwdriver on the horizonral part of the ARL and just weigh the screwdriver with something heavy e.g. a pliers etc

Patience is key though - take your time and you'll be fine

+1 on this way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Screw drivers and pliers just get in the way - the best method, I've found, is the same as Thermo suggested. Works every god damn time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭mafo

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Screw drivers and pliers just get in the way - the best method, I've found, is the same as Thermo suggested. Works every god damn time...
    Bu if you use magnet, you will have both hands free :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

mafo wrote: »
    Bu if you use magnet, you will have both hands free :D

If you use the grease you'll still have both hands free! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Just a Plinker

My vote is with the magnet, I got two large round ones from the back of a set of trailer lights about 4 inches diameter, The second one I put at the front of the gearbox , It keeps it balanced
    It's been quite a while since I cracked open a gearbox to work on it. I forgot just how tricky they can be to get back together with anything less than 4 hands lol! the anti reversal latch is just being really awkward and won't stay in position for me. does anybody have any tips or advice about working with these fiddly little feckers?

I tried the grease method over the weekend and it works like a charm!! Thanks again to thermo for the tip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

I tried the grease method over the weekend and it works like a charm!! Thanks again to thermo for the tip

no bothers.

Advertisement