Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a rifle from the States

Options
  • 25-03-2013 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi all

Does anyone know if it is still possible to import a rifle from the States into Ireland. At one stage the firearm cert used to act as an import licence but I'm led to believe that this is no longer the case. So what exactly is the process and what are the costs?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

It is but the hard thing you will find is an american dealer willing and more importantly authorized to export, you will also need to get an export licence which can take up to six weeks and costs $250, you will probabbly need to pay the dealer for doing the paperwork and then shipping costs etc... what do you wan? i am sure someone may know where one is the uk is another option much easier. or germany

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭HughF

I also found out that i will have to pay 3.5% excise duty on the price of the rifle and then vat on the overall cost plus shipping and insurance. I guess it will make it completely unaffordable.

I was looking to buy a Christensen Carbon Classic ................sigh

Just out of curiosity are you interested in getting your current rifle wrapped or have their rifle (complete) bought and sent over to you?

I ask because it might be an option to buy a barrel, ship it over, and have it installed? Might be cheaper, but with the same finished effect.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You will have the same Bull crap about exporting the barrel from the US as the whole gun with the ITAR laws.:mad:Only going to get worse folks as the UN is gearing up for round 2 of these global civillian disarmament programmes in the next few weeks.:mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    You will have the same Bull crap about exporting the barrel from the US as the whole gun..............
    I know, but for cost reasons it might be easier/cheaper to get the barrel and fit it to a current rifle.

Just spit balling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    You will have the same Bull crap about exporting the barrel from the US as the whole gun with the ITAR laws.:mad:Only going to get worse folks as the UN is gearing up for round 2 of these global civillian disarmament programmes in the next few weeks.:mad:
    UN Agenda 21 is coming soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Have you priced the Christensen Carbon Classic? No prices on their website but from what I can find elsewhere they don't look cheap. There doesn't seem to be anything on the carbon classic that you couldn't have made/assembled for you here in Ireland or in the UK from custom parts. And it may even work out cheaper (and possibly better) going that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭HughF

The overall price in the States is approx $5000 with muzzle break and Jewel trigger. What really took my fancy though was the carbon fiber stock. You are right though i will probably just look at how I might replicate it here. Any suggestions?

• Have a barrel shipped in (same process just less cost) or use hydrographics to give a carbon fibre effect. Alternatively look to Europe for a similar barrel design.
    • Get a stock from Edi Graf (Carbon/kevlar composite would be as light as the one on the website if not lighter)
    • Use a Remmy action (as that is what the Christiansen one seems to be or based off). Alternatively use a Borden, RPA, Barnard, etc. action.
    • Have a muzzle break made for it and made to the barrel. So it is seamless.
    • Trigger
    • Glass & pillar bed
    • Top off with scope of your choice.

You could be looking at approx. €3,800 - €4,500 for all the above depending on makes, brands, etc. you choose.

Just off the top of my head.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement